BBS Declares bankruptcy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pimp racer
  • 15 comments
  • 1,479 views
Messages
4,805
I might be a bit late but I didnt see anything posted here so....
I read this on another forum and then saw this link

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/bbs-goes-bust/


Then the German members of that forum posted this link and said that it stated BBS declares bankruptcy! I think it would kinda suck if there were to be no more BBS although it can just be bought or something I suppose?


http://www.bbs.com/fileadmin/bbs/pdfs/BBS_HJ_06.pdf

Its in German, so I think it might help if you knew how to read German. :dopey:
 
Companies don't cease to exist when they declare bankruptcy. Usually they're just purchased by other companies, eager to turn the brand around and make a lot of money. Aston Martin, Lotus, TVR, and Lamborghini are all victims (or beneficiaries, depending on your point of view) of this, and it's how Warren Buffett made much of his money.
 
SSR went broke not so long ago..

They're still making the best rims ever.
 
SSR went broke not so long ago..

They're still making the best rims ever.

2003%20Chevy%20SSR%20Convertible%20Red%20Truck.jpg
?
 

Nope. SSR is a company that makes rims. Go to the tire rack and just select a car and chances are you will be able to see some SSR rims for that particular vehicle. :)


Companies don't cease to exist when they declare bankruptcy. Usually they're just purchased by other companies, eager to turn the brand around and make a lot of money. Aston Martin, Lotus, TVR, and Lamborghini are all victims (or beneficiaries, depending on your point of view) of this, and it's how Warren Buffett made much of his money.

I know they dont cease to exist but what I would be sad about is if they decided to make different style rims compared to the usual BBS style. Also I agree it will be bought, but just hope as I said wont ruin the "newer" rims from the company.
 
Nope. SSR is a company that makes rims. Go to the tire rack and just select a car and chances are you will be able to see some SSR rims for that particular vehicle. :)

X00CT_CC04-black-350-200.jpg
!

I know they dont cease to exist but what I would be sad about is if they decided to make different style rims compared to the usual BBS style.

Of the brands I named, did any of them cease to make similar products following buyout? Consider companies not manufacturing automobiles as well, like Tyco or Taco Bell - when they were purchased by larger corporations, they continued making the same products they always did - why would they change, considering that their name is already an established brand?
 
I find it hard to believe that BBS is going bankrupt, since I've bought and sold driveable cars for less than the price of one of their wheels.
Oh, and the wheels sold on Tire Rack are of the US-manufacturing order. The Japanese models are much better (production wise).
And why, pray tell, would that be? Not everything is better just because it's in/from Japan.
:grumpy:
 
And why, pray tell, would that be? Not everything is better just because it's in/from Japan.
:grumpy:

Better yet, isn't BBS German?
 
Die Deutschen wie es JDM tyte.
 
Better yet, isn't BBS German?
It appears so:
BbsHeader01logo.gif

Unless there is a fourth set of Japanese characters.
I don't think toyomatt was talking about BBS though. I think he was talking about SSR.
 
How Chevrolet could name such a pile the same as a famous wheel manufacturer, is beyond me.

Uhhh. Its called the "Super-Sport Roadster," so there really isn't any relation to the tire company outside of the same acronym. Figured I'd let you know...

---

On the story, I have to say it is a bit sad. As a product of the '80s, BBS wheels always has been and always will be the ultimate wheel company when it comes to excellent craftsmanship and stunningly good looks on almost any car. I first fell in love with the wheels when I was a kid, as back then, my Grandfather had a set of gold BBS three-piece wheels on his black Nissan Maxima, and by-God they looked great. That said, BBS wheels are without a doubt in their prime on Volkswagens and Audis, as well as most Porsche models.

It is sad to see the issues happening, assuming that anything is wrong at all, as BBS has been such a long-standing company when it comes to aftermarket wheels. If we were to talk buy-outs, you'd have to wonder if VAG would dive in. Volkswagen and BBS seem to have been working together since the late '90s, and I'd hate to see the Bert and Ernie of automobile and wheel companies have to be broken up...
 
Oh, and the wheels sold on Tire Rack are of the US-manufacturing order. The Japanese models are much better (production wise).

Personally, I think that's just simply untrue...


Gary@tirerack.com
I run SSR GT1s on my own car, and there are more than a few guys here at Tire Rack who run the Comps on their own vehicles.

I understand the concerns posted here regarding the SSR competition if you look at only the number of posts regarding this wheel. In seaching across various forums, there are very few posts directly from customers who have had personal experience with bent wheels. There are a number of the negative posts that are either repetitions of the same complaint or statements from a third party.

There were understandable reasons for many of the damages reported, such as impacts with significant road hazards or mounting machine damage by a shop. We don't have the specific reason for every replaced wheel. The number of replacement wheels is consistent with what we see in any brand wheel. We work only with manufacturers with whom we have full confidence in their design and production expertise. All of the wheels we sell meet or exceed either the Japanese (JWL/via) or German (tuv) testing authority standards. They exceed US DOT standards by a considerable margin. The Tire Rack representative responsible for working with wheel manufacturers came to us after 14 years with BBS in both their racing and street wheel programs. He has considerable experience in wheel design and manufacturing techniques. We would not accept product from a manufacturer if we were not confident in their design and manufacturing capabilities.

I"ve posted this before, but feel it is worth mentioning again here :

SSR does perform destructive testing on random production samples to ensure consistent high quality. They X-Ray test every wheel they produce to check for hidden structural problems. The material for the wheel is delivered to the mold as a cylindrical billet of aluminum alloy. All billets are made from a precise alloy formed in a specific process that aligns the material in a spiral pattern. The weight of the billet is specific to the wheel being formed. The alloy is heated to a specific temperature and forged to the basic wheel shape. SSR then machines the wheel to specific applications. They optimize the machining so that they wheel meets the load requirements of the vehicle using the least amount of material. We have found that in general the demands for lightweight, strong wheels in the Japanese market are much greater than in the US and the SSR wheels meet the Japanese market demands well. We have found that SSR does as much if not more specific vehicle application design work as any wheel manufacturer we represent.


That being said. There are other wheel options out there that are worth considering, like the OZ SL's. I suppose my point of this long post is that if you like the OZ's better appearance-wise, and are willing to pick up a few more pounds in weight and save some money over the Comps, then go for it, its a great wheel! However, if you'd be buying this wheel only because you were scared off by concerns of the quality of the Comps, I'd ask you to reconsider.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521103&postcount=44

Gary@tirerack.com
07-15-2003, 11:07 AM
As you all know the Competition, GT1 and GT3 have been very popular wheels over the last couple of years.

Unforutnately, when a high price wheel is successful it opens up the door for a few enterprising people to try to buy these wheels outside of the normal selling channels and import them directly into the US.

With SSR it is important for our customers to know that only the wheels purchased through the Tire Rack have been made special for the US market. Extra work is put into this brand to make it a better product for the US market.
The differences between the Japan sold product and Tire Rack sold products are..................

1. In Japan none of the SSR wheels are made to use centering rings, we have the wheels machined for us to accept a aluminum ring with a retaining clip-ring.

2. In Japan the Competition wheel is not machined to accept a center cap, the wheels are supplied without a cap and our caps will not fit in the wheel.

3. In Japan the GT3 wheel has an anodized rim with no clear coat protection, for the US we request that the wheel have a powder clear coat applied to the rim.
This is a very important difference since a non-clearcoated rim section although very brillant to look at is very difficult to keep in like new condition.

Because of these differences, the finish warranty that SSR supplies us with only applies to products imported through the Tire Rack, SSR will not honor any warranty claims for wheels sold through outside channels.

Bottom line : If you're not buying them from us DO YOUR RESEARCH, and get an assurance from the seller that they are not grey market wheels!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-35112.html

So while some of the SSRs sold through Tire Rack are indeed made exclusively for the US market, there is nothing that suggests they are of any less quality than the regular products sold in Japan.


M
 
But... but... BUT THEY'RE NOT JDM!!! By definition they can't be as good!
 
I can't believe that BBS are in financial trouble! They've been one of the most prolific motorsport wheel manufactures for as long as i can remember. They supply F1 teams, sportscar teams and i should think every factory built Porsche and BMW racer for the past 20 years. As well so many sporting road cars.
 
I find it hard to believe that BBS is going bankrupt, since I've bought and sold driveable cars for less than the price of one of their wheels.

:lol: :lol: Oh, now I get it... :lol:
 
Back