BBS files for bankruptcy

• Thread starter Grayfox
  • 11 comments
Australia
Australia
I_Grayson_Fox_I
Seems BBS has gone bankrupt(3rd time) and is blaming the Covid outbreak

World renowned wheel manufacturer BBS is filing for bankruptcy, according to a July 16 submission.

The brand, currently owned by NICE Holdings Co. in South Korea, has specifically filed for a bankruptcy declaration similar to a Chapter 11 in Germany that will “give the company breathing space,” according to the translated filing. BBS claims the bankruptcy is due to falling demand for tuning parts, along with the strain placed on it from COVID-19 and the resulting decrease of material supply.

Acquired by NICE in 2015, the brand currently employees 1,200 staff members plus a large group in the United States. In 2018, BBS reported revenue of €90 million EUR (approximately $103 million USD) with a loss of approximately €11 EUR (or $12.5 million USD). The brand has filed for bankruptcy twice before, back in 2011 and again in 2007. While this third filing is in place, the brand will operate as usual but begin looking for a new owner to save the company.

BBS wheels was founded in 1970 as BBS Kraftfahrzeugtechnik AG in Schiltach, Germany, and has established itself as the go-to aftermarket wheel for tuner cars, sports cars, race cars and more. Its production of lightweight aluminum alloy wheels provided strength for the most demanding performance vehicles, while its distinctive flair and function-focused aesthetic was highly sought after by the lifestyle car community. Companies as well often used BBS wheels as OEM suppliers for their fleet, with BMW, Porsche, and Audi commonly seen partnering with BBS for its performance cars.

https://hypebeast.com/2020/7/bbs-wheels-bankruptcy-covid-19

I've always found that wire wheel design to be aesthetically hideous imo. It's not exactly a popular choice anymore and seeing that it's their signature look it can't have helped. Manufacturers and draconian legislation have pushed tuning and modification to extinction, at least among amateurs.

BBS Motorsport & BBS Japan will remain fine, BBS America is running as usual. Production will not be affected, BBS is still underway with its motorsport programs for Nascar & Formula 1.
BBS.jpg

I don't understand how you can go bankrupt when you supply OEMs. That would be like Recaro going bankrupt - they supply half the damn airline and car industry with OEM seats.

I don't agree with that at all. Tuning industry is still well and truly alive.
You've got the tuning industry, and then you've got the people-who-can-afford-new-BBS-wheels tuning industry. Two very different things. And BBS only currently offers a few new models, while various other companies offer a lot more, especially Japanese and American motorsports and custom companies. Forgeline and HRE are a couple American competitors. Forgeline also supplies a lot of race teams and will build completely custom wheels.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you can go bankrupt when you supply OEMs. That would be like Recaro going bankrupt - they supply half the damn airline and car industry with OEM seats.
Both of those industries have experienced large slowdowns in production, which has had just as much of an effect on their suppliers. If the OEMs halt orders of wheels because they're not building cars for an extended period, then there goes their main source of revenue.

TIL I learned Recaro does not actually make cool racing seats for airplanes when I googled what they look like. :(

Well color me surprised, NASCAR actually moving deeper in the 20th century with technology. :lol:
To be fair, the cars have advanced to the point where using 15" steelies is probably holding them back noticably. And only the most dismal of econoboxes has 15" wheels these days anyway, so it's kinda necessary to move away from them if they want to keep even a remote resemblance to the road-going versions.

To be fair, the cars have advanced to the point where using 15" steelies is probably holding them back noticably. And only the most dismal of econoboxes has 15" wheels these days anyway, so it's kinda necessary to move away from them if they want to keep even a remote resemblance to the road-going versions.
Big sidewalls are actually better on ovals. NASCAR hasn’t been about road resemblance for at least 30 years anyway. Last time the cwrs carried production body panels in any way, Rusty Wallace and Dale Sr were still battling for wins.

Back