Bearcut's Drift Guide - Adapted from GT5 Prologue

• Thread starter Bearcut
  • 51 comments
I would agree with you on this one Bearcut... Each car is different and handles differently based on the tuning... I do think that there is such a thing as a "baseline" to set your car to a "drift-able" state - then it is up to the player to tweak the settings to their taste...

I think your guide is a good start for people to set their cars too and then adjust the settings after testing it on the track...

Thanks DGambino. Alright, I'll try and right up a guide about what each setting means in the suspension. Hopefully, I'm not horribly wrong about any of them:nervous:. It probably won't be up for a few days though I'm pretty busy for the next few days.

For anyone who is interested, I've posted up my drift car settings that I use, it's up in the depot. It's for the Toyota FT-86 concept car by the way.

Hey Accendo if you want you can PM me the settings and I will post them under the tunes on the first page with your name. Since the FT-86 is a car everyone already has I think that would be a good idea.

Hey Bearcut,

Ive been trying to get the hang of drifting in GT5 for a few days now but i wasnt having any luck..

I stumbled across this thread and made a race modified cappucino and tuned it exactly how you suggested.. Im happy to report that im picking up the basics pretty fast now and the car feels just right.

Thanks alot for this great guide.
-Luke

Best AWD drift car is the S4 rally car No contest. Just leave it's suspension alone, maybe adjust the breaks a bit, and tune the engine if you like. I suggest hard to medium comfort.

Hey Bearcut,

Ive been trying to get the hang of drifting in GT5 for a few days now but i wasnt having any luck..

I stumbled across this thread and made a race modified cappucino and tuned it exactly how you suggested.. Im happy to report that im picking up the basics pretty fast now and the car feels just right.

Thanks alot for this great guide.
-Luke

Hey Thanks man you just made a bad day good :)

Best AWD drift car is the S4 rally car No contest. Just leave it's suspension alone, maybe adjust the breaks a bit, and tune the engine if you like. I suggest hard to medium comfort.

Totally agree with this - awesome 4wd drift machine :dopey:

Totally agree with this - awesome 4wd drift machine :dopey:

Hehe, I'm not that great, but just using that car raise my skill level from a 2 to a 6 maybe, out of ten. Only problem I have with this is the fact that.. Well, it's AWD :P Once I can do with a RWD what I can do with the S4, i'm a happy guy :P

Bumping this guide,

FYI guys: I am still working on the settings guide. The only thing holding me is settings for a MR vehicle. I am using the NSX which is good and shouldn't take long.

Hi bearcut,

Thks a mil for the great guide!

Will surely try it out although it looks complex...

But just to clarify on Pt 4d: High throttle means to up it from 80% to 95%, rt? Also, do you mean lose grip instead of gaining? Sorry, not doubting you, just wanna have a clearer idea... =)

Thanks for the guide. I am currently struggling. Maybe because I need a ride good for beginners. I have the bmw 2002 turbo, I’ll try your tune.

thanks.

Hey guys - been away for awhile.

The answer the throttle question - by high throttle I mean 80-100% throttle. You can tell by the letter blue meter next to the tach.

Also, I added a quick addendum for drifting outside of Drift Trial, it's right before the posted car tunes.

Thanks to everyone who appreciated this guide and keep on slidin'!

A quick thanks to you Bearcut!

I was simply dreadful at my first ever drift attempts but after taking in to account some of your pointers, it's slowly coming together. Now practice, practice, practice!

I have one question regarding tire wear. I practice in Free Run Trial or Drift trial currently. Do the tires need replacing after as I don't think there's tire wear in these modes is there? Sorry for the noob question, just don't want to waste cash on new tires every time I practice if I don't need to!

Thanks!

Last edited:
1971 BMW 2002 Turbo
HP: 189hp
Weight: 918kg
Base Cost: 31,000 + 70,000 for modifications
Availability - Prize car in A-Spec Extreme DTM Series
Tuning Parts: Comfort Hard Tires, Full Weight Reduction + Polymer Windows, Racing Air Filter, ECU Tune, Full Customize Suspension
Settings: TC 0, ABC 1, ASM Off
Suspension: Ride Height -25/-25 Spring Rate 6.0/6.0, Dampers 6/6/6/6, Anti Roll Bars 4/4
Camber Angle 2.5 Front 1.5 Rear
Toe 0/0

quick correction =)

Hi, I decided to start to drift and read the guide.

My experience in hotlaps on my own tracks is that ancient japanese FR cars between 90 and 160 HP are great drifters for beginners (even without modifications). They even drift naturally (meaning without especially trying) by fast cornering.

Funny detail: 28 years ago I passed my driving licence in a Nissan Bluebird. My instructor warned me: this car is tail happy on wet roads. Some hotlaps confirm this: even on dry tarmac, it drifts easily in hotlaps.

Older Skylines (60's and 70's) also are great drifters for beginners.

Edit: forgotten to mention two other natural drifters: all MX-5's and all RX-7's (especially the older one's)

Last edited:
Don't forget the Jaaag E-Type and the Tuscan. Natural drifters when stock and both are great for beginners.

Renrag

Don't forget the Jaaag E-Type and the Tuscan. Natural drifters when stock and both are great for beginners.

Renrag

Didn't yet drift with the Jag, just used it for time trials and was surprised by its amazing driving quality (and it's lap times) for a car which is older than I am (born in '64)

I'm countersteering well , but when I have to turn back to go straight my car is going the hole opposite direction. (Turn = left : i right , start to countersteer , i want to turn straight and my car is going left) . but when I turn back earlier the car doesn't drift good.
any tips?

I've become really enthusiastic about drifting lately having tried my hand at it for a few days now and don't get me wrong I'm not trying to brag but after about three days I'm actually starting to pull of some pretty okay drift laps! I've mostly been trying out some cars but gotten the best results with the Nissan S13, BMW z4 '03 and a 350z, last one was the AE86; the Corolla Levin version. I've had no trouble handling these after getting a feel for them after a lap or two. (Not trying to brag; i.e. I still need to gold the friggin TG samba bus)
Now the thing is, ultimately my endgame is to become a proficient drifter with a Viper really. (I love Vipers now since GT5 and funnily enough seeing videos of a guy drifting a viper in gt5 is what got me into drifting) I'm now just wondering what the best thing to do to would be, either simply keep trying and trying to drift with Vipers instead as they say that every car is different and you basically start over with a new car. Or still keep on slowly building up on drifting and look into drift tuning as well?
Any tips at all appreciated!

Back