Beater or Sleeper? FH3 Edition! Thanks for coming.

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 573 comments
Hey @Populuxe Cowboy you do know that the Drag Strip is accessible in Rivals?

This week, we're taking a different path. I've gone and set up a custom time trial. @SLP950 and @xXPeacockXx can share it. You could also add me at RMedia Obelisk on XBL and get it there.

Let's get last week's TT out of the way!

Congrats, @Vic Reign93! Win hog.
Vic Reign93: 1:14.378

Peacock: 1:14.508

SLP950: 1:15.509

Populuxe Cowboy: 1:15.809

Vic Reign93: 24.558

SLP950: 24.658

Peacock: 24.758

Populuxe Cowboy: 32.724

I decided to give myself the choice of car this week so I could test something.

So, it's the...

View attachment 629133
1967 Lola T70 MKIIIB!

*record scratch*

Yes. I picked a Forzathon car. Why?

I realized I could make basic point to point tracks with the stock car and let other people try it.

So this week's time trial is a custom course that's here:

View attachment 629134

Have fun!

Bucket List isn't showing for me, even with @Obelisk on my Friends List.

Could somebody complete it and send it to me? (Gamertag: PJTierney)

Should show up in my inbox then :)

Nope still not there for me, even after a restarted game
I'll have to manually share it with you guys when I get home.

Anyone who hasn't added me, please post your XBL Gamertag so I can share it with you.

I gave it a go and I'm at the top of the leaderboard. We'll see how long it lasts. I've taken a photo of my time, but it also shows times for other drivers and they may not want their times posted just yet, so I'll hold off for now.

That drive is what I imagine the great road races like the Targa Florio must have been like in the late 1960s. Lots of horsepower, a modicum of handling, and all of it being wrestled with on public roads with trees and houses and bridge abutments to contend with.

I played it fair, keeping to the road as much as possible. There is a sharp right that could easily be cut, but I kept to the outside of the trees that are inside the corner. There's also a 4-way intersection where we turn left with a banana plantation on the inside of the corner. I made sure to stay outside of the fence around their property.

I've given it a proper go now too as well; some basic thoughts on the car below.

In stock trim it seems good for a cruise or Single Player racing. RWD is always a little tricky in the higher classes but this car's long gearing makes it a lot easier once you're in second. Being RWD it's already at a disadvantage when it comes to Multiplayer or Rivals however but once it gets going it handles pretty well. You're not on rails though, still have to lift through sweeping turns due to some inherent understeer.

It's a car with potential. I downloaded an AWD S1/900 setup over the weekend and ran it in a bunch of Byron Bay Rivals routes. Can't remember my best spots but I think I got a few Top 200s in it (I can get Top 50s with a leaderboard car).

If somebody were to put more time into a tune it could probably sneak into the Top 100s on a few mid-speed Sprint or Circuit layouts. It should hold its own in Trail or Scramble races as well (with AWD) but will likely be beaten by Subarus and Rally Fighters. Doesn't have the ground clearance to be effective at Cross Country or anywhere with a lot of jumps.

Ultimately though it looks like the kind of car that is ready to be put on-disc for Forza Motorsport 7 and was completed/licensed early enough for us to be fortunate to get it in Forza Horizon 3. It's not really built for Horizon, which makes its debut here rather odd.

Last edited:
There's also a 4-way intersection where we turn left with a banana plantation on the inside of the corner. I made sure to stay outside of the fence around their property.

My aren't you considerate! I'm sure those banana farmers are glad you didn't tear up their fence!

Ultimately though it looks like the kind of car that is ready to be put on-disc for Forza Motorsport 7 and was completed/licensed early enough for us to be fortunate to get it in Forza Horizon 3. It's not really built for Horizon, which makes its debut here rather odd.
I agree the inclusion of a pure race car in Horizon is odd, but I look at it as a preview of where FM7 is going to go. Just like FM6 went heavy with F1 cars from 1966/7 and open cockpit sports racers from approx 1970, it's looking like FM7 will go heavy with Le Mans prototypes from the late '60s/early '70s.

My aren't you considerate! I'm sure those banana farmers are glad you didn't tear up their fence!
I'm just considerate like that.

My GT's Clydeyellow, I sent you a FR too - can't wait to give this a shot tbh, the T70 is just lovely, and I really want to see what route did you come up with.

Wrapped up a few runs in the Lola. It's a fun car. Good pickup and it sticks pretty well with some light throttle adjustment. It took a couple practice tries to get a completely clean run with no offs/cuts but man its a satisfying car to get right.

Like others have said, its very out of place in Horizon. Similar to the GT3s they have here and there, purebred racing cars don't really have a place in the environments Horizon offers. Doesnt mean theyre any less fun.

Racing cars cant really be sleepers in my eyes but its a good car. 👍

@PJTierney I noticed an unusual discrepancy between you and the other drivers. Did you stick to the route provided and stayed on the road?

I think I can answer that, At the T junction in the rainforest if you carry on and take the next left, you'll find that the distance to the finish is not much more AND you still retain your higher speeds.

You follow it until you get to the dirt road with the speed camera on it and turn left on to it, follow it to the end, a quick left-right combo and then round the corner to the finish line.

Now, it's technically not cutting across country as it's still on marked roads on the map, but it does stray from the route originally set out.

Here's my run which was shows the route in more detail, I can only assume that was the route taken as on the normal route my best was a mid 2:09.

If you concluded that route is invalid, take my time of the board as well. :dunce:

I think I can answer that, At the T junction in the rainforest if you carry on and take the next left, you'll find that the distance to the finish is not much more AND you still retain your higher speeds.

You follow it until you get to the dirt road with the speed camera on it and turn left on to it, follow it to the end, a quick left-right combo and then round the corner to the finish line.

Now, it's technically not cutting across country as it's still on marked roads on the map, but it does stray from the route originally set out.

Here's my run which was shows the route in more detail, I can only assume that was the route taken as on the normal route my best was a mid 2:09.

If you concluded that route is invalid, take my time of the board as well. :dunce:

Yeah, I'll have to enforce my rule here.

PJTierney will need to resubmit a time using the route presented unless he can provide valid proof of his adherence to it.

Seeing that you've already mentioned your regular route time, Vic, I'll put that one in instead.

@PJTierney I noticed an unusual discrepancy between you and the other drivers. Did you stick to the route provided and stayed on the road?

Oh we were supposed to stick to the road? My bad.
Didn't see any rules stating that so I went for lap time :lol:

Remove my time if you like, I don't mind. Probably won't be doing another run as I've got some things to work on today.

Last edited:
Oh we were supposed to stick to the road? My bad.
Didn't see any rules stating that so I went for lap time :lol:

Remove my time if you like, I don't mind. Probably won't be doing another run as I've got some things to work on today.

Your time has been removed. Please adhere to the provided route next time.

Best I could muster is a 2:18:something. Way out of my element with this one! It's a foreign feeling to have this grip/power/gearing/downforce combo compared to most of what I've been driving lately, which is either crazy overpowered no grip C class monsters or grippy short geared rally/off road S1/S2 builds.

For me this thing is a beater.

So, so, so. Obelisk made an oopsie.

He owes you all something, a new car.

First off, however. The standings from the Lola T70 run!
I really wanted to make a lolicon joke, but that'd be in bad taste.

Congrats @FastBud!
FastBud: 2:12.166
ClydeYellow: 2:14.735
Peacock: 2:14.835
Populuxe Cowboy: 2:16.337
SLP950: 2:17.505
Z4chAtt4ck2011: 2:18.839
Obelisk: 2:20.532

And now, our car for this week.

Congrats, @Vic Reign93! You're winner!
Vic Reign drives like a drunk madman
Do you have the...

GetPhoto (1).jpg

It's the 2014 Terradyne Gurkha LAPV!

No, really.

I've set up a point to point at the Parkes Satellite Array Bucket List. This time, drive in whatever way you want!

Back