Beginner Drifting Help!

• Thread starter Hostile
  • 9 comments
well, i have been playing gt4 for a while now. i try drifting and im not too too bad at it. but i need help. i have no clue what to do to start a good drift. all i do is this: Say i have to turn right. i do the feint to the left. hold breaks for a second and turn right. and hold on the gas fully. i start turning left to prevent from spinning out. (countersteer i guess its called) but sometimes i either spin out, or completely turn in the other direction and i fishtail or w.e. i see videos of people tackling HUGE turns at a fast speed and they drift the whole thing... im like what the hell :banghead: i wanna do that so bad. in the middle of a drift i just lose too much speed and the drift is over.. Also i use automatic because i have no clue how to use manual in drifts. i dont know when to downshift or upshift during a drift. I spend alot of money trying to get cars and tune them to some drift specs i found on this site but i just suck at it. I would like for someone to give me a good beginer setup for a pretty good looking car that can do really long drifts. and also i would like for that person to tell me exactly what to press when entering a turn. and if i should go auto or manual. I have a dualshock controler. TY VERY MUCH

I used to drift good but it was with aids on. i now wanna try without it so all aids are off!

First, lose the AT Transmission, its not going to help. Second, is TCS on? Third, are Both ASM systems on? Tell me that and I'll help you out.

Your answer HERE!!!!

This question has been asked so many times. They all word it differently but the answer is always the same. If you had scrolled down you would have seen Duke's thread. It's hard to miss since it's a mostly in CAPS. New members should: 1. read and 2. Use the search function.

Thats actually not that helpful though. Especially for the way he worded it.
The guides provide info on dealing with snapback steering and spinning out. It even has some video demonstrations.

He said he guns the throttle to initiate the drift. In most cases gunning the throttle will have a negative effect on drifting. And with DS2 proper analog stick movement is required. All this I learned through that guide.

yeah im having the same proplems i got it 6 months ago and i looked up on youtube how to get your car to drift and ive got settings and the cars but i have the same problem as hostile because when i countersteer i fly off in the direction that i countersteer too i don't know if it's jst lack of driving experience im (young too drive) so please send me some advice.

yeah im having the same proplems i got it 6 months ago and i looked up on youtube how to get your car to drift and ive got settings and the cars but i have the same problem as hostile because when i countersteer i fly off in the direction that i countersteer too i don't know if it's jst lack of driving experience im (young too drive) so please send me some advice.

What car do you drive with?

Stop trying to drift in auto. It doesn't work. Manual is the best way to go. The problem with auto, is it doesn't downshift correctly, you'll spend too much time in the gear you don't want to be in, causing you to not drift properly.

Although just to initiate a decent drift, gun it towards the entry, mash the brakes accelerate full on while turning, then go to half throttle and modulate on the analog stick until the speed is decent.

If you understood that, go try it. Should work.

exactly! I learnt in auto, and recently i switched to manual and its benefited me well. Especially with a car like my beloved S14A.

Back