Belive it or not, I have a car!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rykon Zero
  • 26 comments
  • 1,445 views

Rykon Zero

Car
Premium
Messages
5,481
United States
Seattle, WA
Messages
RykonZero
The car in question is a Datsun 260Z. My neighbor, had this 260 and hadn't used it in ages. a few years ago, when we had a huge storm, a tree fell on this car, And has since not been fixed. The neighbor, who is a family friend, knows how much of a car freak I am, and has agreed to me helping fix the car. when it's all fixed, he'll give me the car. I'll post pics of it when possible.
 
I hope it wasn't a big tree. Most cars I've seen that have trees land on them are labeled as totaled, and are written off.
 
The neighbor had a truck in front of the Datsun, so the truck took the damage, the branches of the tree buckled the body, and the car hadn't been run in ages.
 
Never heard of a 260Z, I thought it went straight from 240Z to 280Z to 300ZX, but good for you, sound like a classic- now get to work.:p
 
Never heard of a 260Z, I thought it went straight from 240Z to 280Z to 300ZX, but good for you, sound like a classic- now get to work.:p

If I recall a 260Z is basically a 240Z but with a 2.6
 
Nice car, hope you get it back and running good again.

Never heard of a 260Z, I thought it went straight from 240Z to 280Z to 300ZX, but good for you, sound like a classic- now get to work.:p


There sure is

240Z
260Z
280Z
280ZX
300ZX
350Z

260Z is like Casio said, 2.6l with some other small changes (from the 240Z).
 
Excellent, the 240Z was the best looking of them all, in fact, has anyone noticed that every single year since the 240Z the Nissan Z has gotten uglier? And judging by 370Z spy shots and renderings, it's due to get uglier again. Now, which American car was it a rip-off of? (Some JP cars seemed to be styling rip-offs of the US back then. Celica --> Hemi Cuda, Galant GTO --> Charger)
 
I can't think of any American car that looks like that.
 
Z tend to follow in a similar but different design of the 2000GT (which was originally a partnership between Nissan and Yamaha) which ended up being a partnership between Toyota and Yamaha which was designed my Albrecht Graf von Goertz (had to look that name up again) who also worked directly for Nissan and designed the first Silvia and designed the BMW 507.


I think it was a Goertz 'flavoured' car rather than an American copy.
 
(Some JP cars seemed to be styling rip-offs of the US back then. Celica --> Hemi Cuda, Galant GTO --> Charger)

No, just no

Good luck fixing it. I've never been a fan of Datsun, but I will say it's a good looking car.
 
You. Are. The. Man.

I absolutely love classic Z cars, and I would kill to own one. You're pretty damn lucky if I do say so myself.
 
Excellent, the 240Z was the best looking of them all, in fact, has anyone noticed that every single year since the 240Z the Nissan Z has gotten uglier? And judging by 370Z spy shots and renderings, it's due to get uglier again. Now, which American car was it a rip-off of? (Some JP cars seemed to be styling rip-offs of the US back then. Celica --> Hemi Cuda, Galant GTO --> Charger)

I disagree on them becoming uglier, the Z32 300ZX was sex on wheels.
 
Stig., just admit it. Your telling one big lie. Pictures, or it didn't happen. :p
 
No, just no

X_1971_Plymouth_HEMI_CUDA_04082008105230_19491.jpg

70celica.jpg


chrgronlawn.gif

96194199_e75d557b6d.jpg


The front half is not as obvious, but the back halves are definitely similar, and the Japanese cars each came a few years after the American ones. Still don't believe me? Look up the 1970 Galant GTO, it even says it was designed with American styling, and obviously I interpret that as Charger.

I disagree on them becoming uglier, the Z32 300ZX was sex on wheels.

To you maybe, but I like the older ones much better. The older the better.
 
I can see what you're saying, but it's only very slight.

I meant what I said more as that those cars should never even be mentioned in the same sentence, not a disagreement.

And actually that Celica you referenced is a 1970 making that comparison impossible as that 'Cuda is a 1971 (but i'm just being an ass). You also would have been better off with a 68-70 Charger.
 
I can see what you're saying, but it's only very slight.

I meant what I said more as that those cars should never even be mentioned in the same sentence, not a disagreement.

And actually that Celica you referenced is a 1970 making that comparison impossible as that 'Cuda is a 1971 (but i'm just being an ass). You also would have been better off with a 68-70 Charger.

That body style of Cuda came out in 1970, but perhaps those 2 are flukes in similarity, but the Galant was definitely a copy. You get the point though, I'm happy.
You're right, the American cars were far faster and cooler.:p
 
Or that's just how car design was, most cars throughout history look similar.
 
Or that's just how car design was, most cars throughout history look similar.

Examples? Show me 3 cars, 1 from Europe, 1 from Japan, and 1 from USA that all look similar, or any old example will do.
 
Examples? Show me 3 cars, 1 from Europe, 1 from Japan, and 1 from USA that all look similar, or any old example will do.

Walk out onto the street and have a look. Most modern cars has similar design cues. They aren't carbon copies of one another but they share many similar elements.

This
bentley-arnage-t.jpg


and this
300c_sedan_home.jpg


Have similar design cues in them, no they aren't carbon copies but there are bits and pieces your can pull out. The way automotive design works is that something because popular and is integrated into all vehicles of the time, then something comes along that is "revolutionary" and if it sticks it gets incorporated too. Look at the "Altezza" tail lamp craze.

Everyone rips off everyone else now days and even back in the day even more so way back.

These cars are from the 30's, one's a Nissan, one's Oldsmobile, one's BMW and one is an Alfa.

800px-Nissan_Model_70_Phaeton.jpg


9080227.018.1M.jpg


800px-1934-oldsmobile-archives.jpg


800px-1936-bmw-archives.jpg


No they aren't identical but they are similar.
 
Last edited:
1. Nissan
2. Alfa
3. Olds.
4. BMW

:sly: You can tell the Nissan apart because it looks like a cheap ripoff of a 30's Chevy.
 
It wasn't meant to be a guessing game, I was just showing how the designs looked similar.
 
Yeah, cars may look similar, I guess no one really ever cares though.
 
Actually numerous automotive magazines and blogs have said that car design has gotten similar, hell Car and Driver says something to that effect in just about every issue. You also make it sound like I care cars have gotten similar, which I don't, I just accept the fact that's what the majority of the buying population wants.
 
Actually numerous automotive magazines and blogs have said that car design has gotten similar, hell Car and Driver says something to that effect in just about every issue. You also make it sound like I care cars have gotten similar, which I don't, I just accept the fact that's what the majority of the buying population wants.

Do I? Oh well, accidents happen.:sly:

So where's the pics of this illeged 260Z? :dopey:
 
Getting a bit cocky aren't we? Look you asked me to show you cars from all over the world that were similar, I did so. If you really want to see something look up Automobile magazine's test between the BMW 5 series and the Pontiac G8, they point out how Pontiac/Holden "stole" design elements from the 5 series...especially the rear pillar which made me laugh.

And you really think someone would lie about have a Datsun that's been flattened by a tree?
 
Getting a bit cocky aren't we? Look you asked me to show you cars from all over the world that were similar, I did so. If you really want to see something look up Automobile magazine's test between the BMW 5 series and the Pontiac G8, they point out how Pontiac/Holden "stole" design elements from the 5 series...especially the rear pillar which made me laugh.

And you really think someone would lie about have a Datsun that's been flattened by a tree?

Mate, chill out for a second, I'm not being cocky, I wasn't even really fussed too much with the similar design elements, and don't you forget that the Commodore started design back in what, 2002? If the 5-Series had the same C Pillar back then, then maybe they took cues from it, big deal. Really, I'm not trying to argue with you, or make you look like something you're not, if anything I'm agreeing with you.

Now, I'm not suggesting he's lying either, I just want to see pics, maybe see myself how bad the damage is, geez.
 
Back