Bertone Carabo 1968

• Thread starter 20B_4ME
  • 11 comments
TWNTYB_4ME
F Caris
Presented at the 1968 Paris Motor Show, the Bertone Carabo was a futuristic sportscar based on the Alfa Romeo 33 chassis. Designed by Marcello Gandini, it featured original solutions such as scissor doors and multi-coloured glass windows.

The 1968 Alfa Carabo concept marked a revolutionary stage in supercar design, with its hydropneumatic-powered scissors doors – later adopted on the Lamborghini Countach – and multi-coloured one way glass windows.

carabo%20scan12.jpg

bertone-carabo-03.jpg

IMG_5779.BertoneAlfaRomeoCarabo.0640.jpg

Fun fact! In the norwegian animation movie Flåklypa Grand Prix (Ivo Caprino, 1975), or Pinchcliffe Grand Prix as you may know it as, it is used a modified scale model version of the Carabo as one of the cars racing in the movie. If anyone here haven't seen it yet, please do! :D

Bertone Carabo flåklypa.jpg

PS! Had to edit this post to get the image visible.

At first glance, I though 'now that's a Wednesday Want', before reading the headline.
Before the Ferrari 288 GTO and the Mercedes-Benz C111 (my younger brother's first pick), there was this most beautiful cereal box HotWheels car that was delivered to the crib ;)
Brrrooommm, Brrrooommm, Bbbrrrooommm...
Skrrrrrrrrr!

Thanks Andrew ;)
GT's Dome and Mazda cars only made me wish Kaz had made the better choice.

Don't forget the Marzal was slightly earlier than this in terms of Gandini wedges. And glass doors.
IMG_4347.JPG

The Carabo is definitely my favourite concept car of all time, most of the others I love were from the 80's and 90's.

When I think of the natural conclusion of wedge design, I think of the Sbarro Challenge, it looks like a block of cheese (and they actually made street versions!)
IMG_4348.JPG

Back