Best cars with clutch in GT sport?

• Thread starter Nick077
  • 9 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hey,

Just set up a T-LCM load cell pedal and trying to practice heal and toe for real world track driving.

I generally drive the Nurburgring because I know it very well.

At the moment, I'm using all the old GR1 cars like Jaguar Jaguar XJR-9 Gr.1 and Nissan R92CP Gr.1, they're great fun, but they are a handful at the best of time.

In someways that is good, because even a clean smooth heal and toe down to lower gears can cause the back wheels to lock up, but I'm interesting in trying other race cars, disappointed to find the old McLaren F1 race car and the NSX are both sequential / semi auto.

Is there any lists of cars with clutches?

Cheers,

Nick

the clutch is not enabled in GTS, as far as I know... right?

Only cars which have a manual transmission. I normally only drive race cars. Feels weird driving street cars. But the only race cars I can find are the old 200mph+ turbo charged gr1 cars.

You should expect to drive more N class cars and certain Gr.X cars of the classic car kind.

If you have the TH8A, it's perfect for the N class Corvette C7 as it's a 7 speed manual clutch. Also, I was surprised to discover that the V8 Vantage is a 6 speed manual, it drives amazingly well. Those are some of the few modern vehicle examples I can recall at the moment.

Just set up a T-LCM load cell pedal and trying to practice heal and toe for real world track driving.
If that's your intended reason to do it, then GTS is not a good basis to work on, as its clutch implementation is appaling.

The closest you are going to get to a realistic clutch and h-pattern set-up on console is going to be Assetto Corsa, so I would suggest grabbing a cheap copy of that, as it would work out better in terms of both physics accuracy and drivetrain (inc clutch) modelling.

Even then it's not going to be a straightforward transfer from a sim (of any grade) to a real car, as a degree of 're-learning' exists in the real world for every new car you get in, as pedal placement makes a massive difference, and will vary from car to car (and some cars in reality just don't offer a pedal box layout that suits heel and toe).

Assetto Corsa also has the advantage that it models drivetrain damage as well, so you will know even more clearly the impact of getting it wrong.

In someways that is good, because even a clean smooth heal and toe down to lower gears can cause the back wheels to lock up, but I'm interesting in trying other race cars, disappointed to find the old McLaren F1 race car and the NSX are both sequential / semi auto.
If that's happening then it's not a clean and smooth heel and toe. You either need to rev more, rev twice (as you drop the clutch and again just before you release it), or if you are changing down multiple gears, rev for each gear (and maybe twice for each gear).

Last edited:
If that's your intended reason to do it, then GTS is not a good basis to work on, as its clutch implementation is appaling.

The closest you are going to get to a realistic clutch and h-pattern set-up on console is going to be Assetto Corsa, so I would suggest grabbing a cheap copy of that, as it would work out better in terms of both physics accuracy and drivetrain (inc clutch) modelling.

Even then it's not going to be a straightforward transfer from a sim (of any grade) to a real car, as a degree of 're-learning' exists in the real world for every new car you get in, as pedal placement makes a massive difference, and will vary from car to car (and some cars in reality just don't offer a pedal box layout that suits heel and toe).

I could recommend older race cars in PCars 2 were heel and toe is mandatory. Best way to learn it.

Last edited:
I could recommend older race cars in PCars 2 were heel and toe is mandatory. Best way to learn it.
The issue with PCars 2 is that it's impossible to screw-up a shift, as the syncro is set to be so friendly the clutch is actually optional, which is a real pain, as without that PCars 2 would also have an excellent drivetrain model for this purpose.

PC2 clucth.jpg

Last edited:
When you play with a pad, you have speed sensitive steering, the faster you go, the less you can turn the wheels. If you can get the pace right, all you need to do is push the stick to its extremes and you’ll make the corner. There are a different set of skills for the pad but your inputs are heavily filtered, meaning loss of detail.

The issue with PCars 2 is that it's impossible to screw-up a shift, as the syncro is set to be so friendly the clutch is actually optional, which is a real pain, as without that PCars 2 would also have an excellent drivetrain model for this purpose.

View attachment 1000008

Not with my set up, I've screwed it up a few times and it makes a crunching sound haha.

I've got a mods on my TH8A now, shot shift shaft, weighted knob and a 3dRap gadget on the shaft which creates a mechanical resistance, it's much more positive and realistic now.

The best cars I have found are all the old GR1 cars, particularly the Mazda.

But also the original NSX R, although, the handling is fairly erratic and it's prone to oversteer very easily, particularly if you don't heel and toes, so it's good practice, but generally a pig of a car.

I've got PC2 somewhere, it was awful on my last wheel, but will give it a go with the new, see how I get on. Thanks for tip.

Back