Best Headphones for $30 USD?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter VIPFREAK
  • 18 comments
  • 1,126 views

VIPFREAK

(Banned)
Messages
8,961
So, I searched and saw all the outragous headphones you guys picked up. I'm looking for a new pair for around $30.

I should mention I have a $20 gift card to Target so if you can recommend one from there that equals $30 ($50 - $20 = $30) then I'll consider it.

I have a pair of SONY MDR-G73LP right now are quite old. I like the bass on them but if I can get more bass for the same price that's cool. I kinda prefer staying away from the earbud and big ass earmuff kind although I'm still eyeing the Sony MDR-EX71SL since a lot of you guys recommend them and think they are a great deal.

fd_1.JPG


Here are some other ones I looked at because they seemed to get good reviews.

SONY MDR-Q55SL
7f_2.JPG


SONY MDR-G58V
mdr_g58v.jpg


Thanks for your help. 👍
 
That one in the last pic is really cool looking. I'd get that(purely for looks). :drool:
 
I've had bad experiences with cheap Sony's. :indiff:

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XD100 that only cost around $30. The bass was seriously lacking and the overall sound plain sucked. I ended up shelling out $200AU for a pair of Sennheiser HD555's within a week.
 
Get the EX-71's they're good but if you plan on running/biking with them forget it and get EX-81's instead.
 
GTRacer4
Get the EX-71's they're good but if you plan on running/biking with them forget it and get EX-81's instead.
👍 agreed.

I doubt you can afford it, but go for the Shure e2c - the prices for them at www.headphone.com are excellent
 
I hate IEMs. though, i've never tried the UE10s. I tried the E5's and the E4s, but they just weren't my thing. The E4s are better than the E5s, though.


with that being said, NEVER buy a headphone based on looks.

I liked my senn. HD457s when I got them. But obviously, you can't go that way if you need something very compact. The senn. PX 100s are great phones if you can save up another 20 bucks. That, or you can go for the Grado SR60s. They sound pretty, too...but, again, are midsize like the 457s.

You should really see if you can try stuff out before you buy it. I've been to a headphone meet, so that's how i've been able to try all this stuff.

Good luck with your purchase.
 
Omnis
I hate IEMs. though, i've never tried the UE10s. I tried the E5's and the E4s, but they just weren't my thing. The E4s are better than the E5s, though.
I guess it boils down to personal preference then. I prefer IEMs to cans for going to/from school - they're far more discrete and they block outside noise a lot better 👍
 
I mean, I don't mind them. They're great for what they are...but cans will give you better sound, in my opinion. the Shures, or any IEM, sound tunneled in comparison.
 
VIPFREAK
What about based on price? :dopey:
see the Bose article in the electronics forum


btw - don't buy bose headphones unless they put a gun to your head. Sennheisers sound better by leaps and bounds
 
Well I'm not going for THE BEST headphones. I'll be damned if I waste money on anything Bose. I don't know why the hell I keep going to Sony but the current ones that I have were good IMO.

So far the Sennheiser PX100 or PX200 for $10 more seem to be where I'm leaning towards.
 
I have the EX71's and they look and sound great with my PSP.
 
Ok... I'm still in limbo,

quick question... Obviously, the Sony MDREX51LP are cheaper, but they did get good reviews and it seems like there's decent bass, but it's their responses that bother me because I don't know their levels of what good and bad is. Anyway, are these headphones that much worst than the Sony MDREX71SL?? Thanks
 
Noticeably. I've had a pair of each. The 71 just sounds better all around. More than worth the extra $10-15 👍
 
Wow, that was fast... ok, the 51's out then... and on that note, what would you take out of three?

Senn Px-100, PX-200, or Sony EX71?

:lol:
 
I have a Sennheiser HD437 ... it's quite large though, larger than the examples you posted. But it sounds better than the Philips and Sony headphones I used to have before, which were about $40, while this one only cost me 30. I wouldn't go outside with this one though, it's just for on the computer. It's also built in a robust way, which is why I bought it. All my other headphones broke, never the electronics... it was either the construction itself or the power cord, even though I handled them carefully.


I don't know the exact models you mentioned, but judging from my previous experience with headphones I'd go for the Sennheiser if you like your music loud, with lots of bass and still clear.
 
Well, the PX ones are earbuds, the ex71 is an earplug. That said, the EX71 will sound better in a noisy environment since they seal out outside noise. The PX will likely sound better and more balanced, but they leak sound. In a noisy environment, they're pretty much useless.
 
The PX200 sounds more balanced, but the EX71 has good bass and highs which don't pierce your eardrums, but they seem to lack midrange.
 
I think I'll just spend the extra $10 and go with the PX-200s... they sound like the best compromise for what I want. Thanks for your help guys. :D:tup:

probably get em like next year or something, will see. :)
 
Back