Best of British Thread

• Thread starter mclarenLB
  • 28 comments
United Kingdom
Sheffield
LewisBentley6
Anyone missing those super high profile races from the FIA official season? Tonight we have 16 of the very, very best UK GT Sport drivers (including 8 2018 FIA Finalists) going at it in a 90 minute multiclass special event.

All participants, details of the race and race day procedure can be found in the official drivers document below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_R0dh_4CSebLI-QrDB46WqbsgKMgkmkayVXkKFfEnYA/edit?usp=sharing

You can find live streams of this event from 3 perspectives:

Tidgney (Group 1)
Super GT (Group 3)
EERIEISSSS (Group 3)

I would stream it as well, but I'm the lobby host and I want to make sure the connection quality of the lobby is tip-top, so you'll have to deal with those 3 :lol:

This has been in the works for over 3 weeks now, hugely looking forward to what should be an incredible race tonight :cheers:

PS: This event was invite only, if its successful tonight, an open qualifier will be run for the next one! ;)

This was outstanding viewing and it is well worth seeking out the YouTubes of some of those who took part.

After 80 odd mins of a 90 min race, with an average lap time of circa 1:11 1st, 2nd and 3rd were all filling the screen of the 4th placed GR1 driver at the time ( @Tidgney ).

Top 3 in GR 1 less than a sec apart.
Top 2 in GR 3 under a tenth apart.

Just brilliant to watch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190128-182820_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20190128-182820_YouTube.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 33
@mclarenLB It was a great format and loved the way you ran qually. Job well done organising this.

I couldn't watch it all live, but I'll be catching up on what I missed later.

Looks like PD needs to do a National Championship. Maybe the top 16 drivers from each nation could have a little league competition between themselves. Or maybe take the top 50 guys and have a few knockout races to whittle it down to 16 and have a final race to choose the champion.

I would imagine that there would be a lot of drivers would like to call themselves UK/French/German/etc. Champion

Betweeen this and IGTL I watch a lot of GT Sport streams this weekend.

One thing I think PD really could be looking at is an event creator mode that would help take the strain of the organisers of these events.

Things like;

Driver changes
Super poles
Multi class / Single class races.
Custom Bops

When you see what can be pulled off with what they have, imagine what they could do with real event controls.

I seriously doubt there was better competitive action across terrestrial or satellite tv in the UK than was available from the YouTube streams of last night's race.

It was that well done and that well fought.

Started watching eerieissss (1st to go live) but after the track's time change for qualifying, that all changed. Gotta feel for the guy. He looked distraught.

Switched to super_gt with his bonnet cam and mini heart attacks when Gr1's lunged past him. The radar is kinda pointless when the closing speed is that high but he did a great job of (mostly) keeping out of the way. Scared the bejeezus out of Tidgney a couple of times.:D

Even though I saw the result, I watched Tidgney's stream straight after. Brilliant grandstand finish with all the strategies coming together but loads of drama getting past Gr3's, who were in their own close battle, in the last few laps.
I wouldn't mind watching another perspective so other than the 3 I've already watched, did anyone else upload it?

If I had a criticism for the format, it would be the Gr1's expecting Gr3's to know exactly where they are when they're getting close.

Did it have a dedicated streamer on it. Our Gr.2 league has 2 on it (one in each lobby, top guys and slower guys). Really adds to the viewing pleasure with a commentator on board (although losing a spot).

Hey guys, next Sunday at 8pm (10th February) there is a Group 4 qualifier race, where the podium finishers will get into the next Best of British Multiclass race, demand has been huge, but there is ONE spot left, let me know if you fancy coming along and having a crack! (A/S minimum sport mode ratings and British residence required)

The qualifier race will feature the likes of kie25, @F4H Super GT and @EERIEISSSS... and @Tidgney will be the official commentary broadcaster of the race! More details to follow for those of you who want to watch rather than race :)

Another great race and a great watch.

Highlights on the fly from other live streams too :)

Very well done and a great effort by all involved.

The strength in depth is fantastic especially when you consider who wasn't racing. Oh, for 30 car lobbys.

GTP_Twissy got himself clear and stayed ahead throughout, perhaps maybe 3rd for a lap after his stop.

GTA boys took 2-3 with the chasers not far behind at all.

A couple of mistakes in the final few laps meant the finish wasn't quite as close as the last race, but 7 laps from home it looked like the 2 stoppers would catch the 1s in the final straight.

Great to watch, again.

Yeah thanks to @mclarenLB for organising and thanks to @Tidgney for commentating :)

I never really figured out the track tbh, couldn't get the 1st or last corners right most of the time, and when you are racing against good drivers losing a couple of tenths on each of those is pretty much the end of the story. Made a mistake in qualifying on last corner and lost a few tenths, so ended up dead last about 1 second down on Twissy.

Then in the race I panicked at the start when it popped up a warning about me having no fuel and jumped the start :) It did mean I was kept out of trouble for the first few laps and just picked off a few people when they had incidents. Had fun with eliteforce212 for the first third of the race, but he pitted and I went for a 1 stop so never saw him again. Had @F4H Rosso close me down slowly over the next 10 laps and then jumped me when I over fueled at the pit stop. I thought I could hold on with the slipstream but had a poor couple of laps on the new tyres as I found the grip, and lost him. He built about a 4 second lead and when the 2 stoppers pitted on lap 31 everyone seemed to slot into that gap (I was 11th and Rosso was 6th).

Unfortunately I couldn't hold @F4H Super GT slipstream so I watched the train slowly drive away, and that was my race. I was 10 seconds ahead of the guy behind, so I simply decided to make no mistakes and took it easy to the end. I will take 9th place even if it was because I avoided trouble :)

Really shows the difference in quality between good A+ drivers and A drivers, I was 47 secs down at the end (basically 1 sec a lap) to Twissy at the end. Again thanks for letting me take part :)

Good job guys!

This was an excellent watch. Congrats on putting it all together it was very well done. Is the replay feature a standard GT Sport feature? I never knew about it.

Anyways, looks like I'll be tuning in to future races, very good show gents!

Great setup @mclarenLB well run and perfect car and track choice really lent itself to a great race! And great job by @Tidgney on the commentary! Whole thing was a great event!

From my own personnel perspective I left the race throughly demotivated. My own fault didn’t run any real practice to speak off was too busy. But you know that thing where you make a silly unforced mistake and you spend the next 40 laps re-living it and ranting at yourself and the more you rant the more you make silly errors ........... yeah that!.

Aside from my disappointment of my own performance everyone else ran a great pace, absolutely insane pace from @Twissy! Some really solid performances from the GTA boys and @F4H Super GT!

It was good to watch it back and see what happened to everyone else. Excellent all round really, I can see this getting very popular and rightly so!

Aww cheers guys, commentating is something I enjoy doing as well as the racing so glad it went ok! Even with a huge break from my last 1. The event itself helps loads though as Mclaren sets it up really nicely, looks at strats and gives us the best kind of racing, which is what I love to be apart of or just even watch :D!

Have to say it was fun to race against the best guys in Britain, but I am nowhere near that class :( Think I was around a second a lap off the rest of the Gr.3 guys, and it was a wee bit terrifying to have those gr.1 cars bearing down on you. I just decided to hop out of the way as best as I could because I didn't want to mess up anybodies race, and wasn't like I was going to catch anyone :lol:

Thanks for organising @mclarenLB, I think this sort of event is definitely the future of Gran Turismo. Congrats to everyone in the race, and to the winners, you are all ridiculously fast :)

So I kind of forgot to announce the next Best of British on GTPlanet so uhh... Im streaming it right now! Race starts at 8pm GMT! :D

Need to catch it in previous broadcasts.

If it's anything like the other races it'll be worth seeking out.

Good show guys, well done.

I really enjoy these streams. I caught the last hour of the race on @Tidgney 's stream. I guess it wasn't fully uploaded to Youtube or something because I went to watch it last night(after it aired live) and the stream started at the near the 1hr remaining mark.

Thanks for doing this fellas!

I don't really intend on updating this thread anymore with actual information as its another thing for me to manage and I don't really feel we need it

buuuuut...

I just wanna say the Division 2 lads had a really rad race last night and I think some of you will enjoy watching it, that is all :lol:

Back