Best racing games for steering wheel.

• Thread starter TypeRDC5
  • 24 comments
United Kingdom
Silverstone
Hi everyone,

After many years of debating whether or not to buy a wheel I have finally took the plunge and got myself a t150 pro on it's way.

What are everyone's game recommendations for me to enjoy my new wheel on?

I already have GT Sport, I also heard assetto corsa was good but I really didn't like it on a pad, is it a game changer on a wheel?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

Not going to lie I think GTS is the best racing game on consoles atm, but I have bought a lot of other games too and played them on a G29 so here’s my worthless 2c.

Assetto Corsa is amazing on a wheel but single player feels a bit shallow. I think I would enjoy it a lot more on PC with all the mods you can get though.

Project Cars 2 is a good one for the most part but for me the AI is terrible and the quality is not consistent in terms of cars and tracks.

F1 is alright, but it’s more on the arcade side. I’m not much of a fan of it on my wheel tbh. This game has the best AI of them all though imo.

Nascar Heat 4 was a lot of fun but it honestly feels like there is more grip by using a controller which totally puts me off.

Need for Speed Heat, don’t even bother.

I also have Dirt Rally 2.0 and WRC 8, but tbh I’m not really into rally games. I did like WRC 8 a little more though.

Fun games to screw around in:

Mud Runner, especially with clutch pedal and shifter!

Wreckfest. Doing a demolitin derby with a lawn mower was funner than I thought.

Again just my impressions, you might feel differently about them! We are lucky to have such a wide range of options available. I’m really looking forward to ACC coming to consoles.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Not going to lie I think GTS is the best racing game on consoles atm, but I have bought a lot of other games too and played them on a G29 so here’s my worthless 2c.

Assetto Corsa is amazing on a wheel but single player feels a bit shallow. I think I would enjoy it a lot more on PC with all the mods you can get though.

Project Cars 2 is a good one for the most part but for me the AI is terrible and the quality is not consistent in terms of cars and tracks.

F1 is alright, but it’s more on the arcade side. I’m not much of a fan of it on my wheel tbh. This game has the best AI of them all though imo.

Nascar Heat 4 was a lot of fun but it honestly feels like there is more grip by using a controller which totally puts me off.

Need for Speed Heat, don’t even bother.

I also have Dirt Rally 2.0 and WRC 8, but tbh I’m not really into rally games. I did like WRC 8 a little more though.

Fun games to screw around in:

Mud Runner, especially with clutch pedal and shifter!

Wreckfest. Doing a demolitin derby with a lawn mower was funner than I thought.

Again just my impressions, you might feel differently about them! We are lucky to have such a wide range of options available. I’m really looking forward to ACC coming to consoles.

:cheers:

Great reply thank you.

I have more previously owned wreckfest and dirt rally, loved them both, I bet its chaos on a wheel thinking about it, good timing as dr 2 has just shown up on ps plus too!

Great tip on ACC, I did not know this was coming to ps4! Sounds like a much better package than AC.

Should hopefully be used to a wheel by the time it is released :)

-On the sim side:
Assetto Corsa: it's the absolute king and hell yes it's a game changer compared to anything else. Game itself is badly polished, but it feels so good on the wheel that it makes the game instantly the first choice if you have a force feedback wheel. It needs almost 0 adjustments.

Assetto Corsa Competizione: feels very similar to the first one and it's a much better game in everything. Let see how they port it to consoles.

Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO: My favorite rally sim of the 4 or 5 (counting WRC and Dirt sagas) we have this gen. It doesn't need almost any configuration and it feels flawless. Gaming part of it is very good. Suffers from fps (30 fps!) and polish (Milestone :rolleyes:) . The best part of it is the tarmac physics, IMO, the closest to Assetto on consoles and just so superior to DR2.0.

Dirt Rally 2.0: overall, the best rally sim on consoles. Force feedback needs some adjustments, but it feels rather good once you get it. Better than DR1 in almost everything.

Project Cars 2: feels very good, but it needs a lot of work configuring it (not just force feedback). If you are up to it, might really worth it as the game has some interesting stuff, like the ridiculous amount of tracks (best game in this aspect). Don't even bother with the first one, 2 is exactly the same but much much better in everything.

WRC: 5, 6, 7 and 8 have been developed by the same people, and they aparently got better with each one. They have the best stages IMO and all the goodness of the official license. Didn't tried 8, but 7 wasn't bad on the wheel and physics were decent. Needs a bit of work to get the force feedback right. But like I said, I haven't tried 8.

-On the arcade side:
The Crew: best arcade on the wheel (you have to activate the sim option or something like that). It's ridiculous that an arcade has such good force feedback with 0 adjustments, it can even look with pride to the sim realm. And the game is really good. Don't ask me why, but the second game feels like **** on the wheel. Ubisoft :rolleyes:

Gravel: it's Sebastien Loeb Rally evo with arcade physics. No more no less. Game is different, but I really like it.

Driveclub: feels decent and I don't have to talk much about a jewel like DC, but I'm not sure if you should buy a game with shut down servers that you can't even find on the ps store.

Grid: tried it a bit with wheel and I was surprised. It's not bad, but the game is not the best thing in the world (IMO worse than Autosport) and physics are really simple.

I honestly think that the Crew is the only arcade that worths it to play with wheel (it's just fantastic). Driveclub is dead and it's on the pad when it really shines. Gravel and Vrally have both sim brothers (Sebastien Loeb and WRC). Why would you play Grid with wheel if you have similar type of games with sim physics like Assetto or PC2? And I don't even have to explain why NFS should not be mentioned. Haven't played Wreckfest. Neither Vrally or Baja on the wheel.

My priority list if you have wheel: Assetto Corsa Competizione > Assetto Corsa > Sebastien Loeb > DR2.0 > The Crew > Project Cars 2.

Can't talk of WRC 8 and wouldn't be wise to recommend 7 when 8 is supposedly better.

PD: Feel free to ask :cheers:

Last edited:
-On the sim side:
Assetto Corsa: it's the absolute king and hell yes it's a game changer compared to anything else. Game itself is badly polished, but it feels so good on the wheel that it makes the game instantly the first choice if you have a force feedback wheel. It needs almost 0 adjustments.

Assetto Corsa Competizione: feels very similar to the first one and it's a much better game in everything. Let see how they port it to consoles.

Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO: My favorite rally sim of the 4 or 5 (counting WRC and Dirt sagas) we have this gen. It doesn't need almost any configuration and it feels flawless. Gaming part of it is very good. Suffers from fps (30 fps!) and polish (Milestone :rolleyes:) . The best part of it is the tarmac physics, IMO, the closest to Assetto on consoles and just so superior to DR2.0.

Dirt Rally 2.0: overall, the best rally sim on consoles. Force feedback needs some adjustments, but it feels rather good once you get it. Better than DR1 in almost everything.

Project Cars 2: feels very good, but it needs a lot of work configuring it (not just force feedback). If you are up to it, might really worth it as the game has some interesting stuff, like the ridiculous amount of tracks (best game in this aspect). Don't even bother with the first one, 2 is exactly the same but much much better in everything.

WRC: 5, 6, 7 and 8 have been developed by the same people, and they aparently got better with each one. They have the best stages IMO and all the goodness of the official license. Didn't tried 8, but 7 wasn't bad on the wheel and physics were decent. Needs a bit of work to get the force feedback right. But like I said, I haven't tried 8.

-On the arcade side:
The Crew: best arcade on the wheel (you have to activate the sim option or something like that). It's ridiculous that an arcade has such good force feedback with 0 adjustments, it can even look with pride to the sim realm. And the game is really good. Don't ask me why, but the second game feels like **** on the wheel. Ubisoft :rolleyes:

Gravel: it's Sebastien Loeb Rally evo with arcade physics. No more no less. Game is different, but I really like it.

Driveclub: feels decent and I don't have to talk much about a jewel like DC, but I'm not sure if you should buy a game with shut down servers that you can't even find on the ps store.

Grid: tried it a bit with wheel and I was surprised. It's not bad, but the game is not the best thing in the world (IMO worse than Autosport) and physics are really simple.

I honestly think that the Crew is the only arcade that worths it to play with wheel (it's just fantastic). Driveclub is dead and it's on the pad when it really shines. Gravel and Vrally have both sim brothers (Sebastien Loeb and WRC). Why would you play Grid with wheel if you have similar type of games with sim physics like Assetto or PC2? And I don't even have to explain why NFS should not be mentioned. Haven't played Wreckfest. Neither Vrally or Baja on the wheel.

My priority list if you have wheel: Assetto Corsa Competizione > Assetto Corsa > Sebastien Loeb > DR2.0 > The Crew > Project Cars 2.

Can't talk of WRC 8 and wouldn't be wise to recommend 7 when 8 is supposedly better.

PD: Feel free to ask :cheers:

Thanks for all the tips, a lot of options there and some that didnt immediately spring to mind.

Certainly seems like ACC is one to wait for!

Might get AC for now as it's just so cheap to see how different it is on the wheel and a very good shout for SL Rally Evo, I played the demo a while back but forget the game existed, had potential on a pad so can only be better on a wheel.

I do think it will probably be the first game you should buy if you have wheel, but have in mind one thing: ACC is the official game of the SRO championships, meaning it only has content from those championships (tracks, GT3, GT4...). And I'm skeptical about the performance.

If you have the demo of SLRE, then you are lucky. Just try it and see if you like it.

I do think it will probably be the first game you should buy if you have wheel, but have in mind one thing: ACC is the official game of the SRO championships, meaning it only has content from those championships (tracks, GT3, GT4...). And I'm skeptical about the performance.

If you have the demo of SLRE, then you are lucky. Just try it and see if you like it.

That's fine with me, basically all I race in GTSport are GT3's and I like the official track list too so definitely sounds like a winner.
The little I played of the original AC on PS4 was rough around the edges so hopefully they optimise this a little better and with a wheel it will be a good experience

Games like NASCAR Heat 4, and DAKAR 18 are made by the wheel useage. I can play GTS on a controller, and it's fine, but those two games I mentioned, I wouldn't touch if it wasn't for wheel support, it adds a dimension to the game that's really required to get the most out of it.

Don't listen to pcars2 varying quality. Game is the easiest to set up, along with ACC. Can't really recommend any other sims

The hell it's the easiest to set up.

5 different sliders of force feedback, 3 different profiles, and yet the force feedback varies in some cars. You can set it up right for some car, and the wheel will feel weak in others. You have to understand fully all the options in the force feedback so you can properly adjust and enjoy it.

And how force feedback can be considered as ready to play when people are still using Jack Spade files?

And force feedback is the biggest mess, but not the only one. Totally unstable set ups (with easy fix though), broken cars, inconsistent AI...

I think you can manage all the variables of the game with a bit of work and it's way better than the absolute caos of the first one. But saying "it's easiest to configure"... Boy, that has to be one of the most misleading statements I've seen in a while.

Why would you play Grid with wheel if you have similar type of games with sim physics like Assetto or PC2?
I think there is actually a void here in the market for very accessible cinematic arcade track racing with good AI. Grid tries to fill this, but doesn't quite succeed. I really wish there were more developers that tried to do this.

I think there is actually a void here in the market for very accessible cinematic arcade track racing with good AI. Grid tries to fill this, but doesn't quite succeed. I really wish there were more developers that tried to do this.

I completely agree with that. But not with wheel, although I do know of people that preferes playing arcade games with a ffb wheel.

I completely agree with that. But not with wheel, although I do know of people that preferes playing arcade games with a ffb wheel.
Yeah, I'm one of those people. :lol:

Surely Daytona and Sega Rally are better with a wheel, why not other arcade games?

Yeah, I'm one of those people. :lol:

Surely Daytona and Sega Rally are better with a wheel, why not other arcade games?

I'm not exactly saying that :D I'm saying that there are people that actually don't like playing hardcore simulators even when they are purposely made for the wheel. And those people use the wheel just for arcade games. Each to their own (and I absolutely don't mean it in a condescending way).

I rarely use pad with simulators. Partly because they are optimized for the wheel and normally have disastrous pad adaptation (Dirt Rally is almost the opposite).

On the contrary, I play arcades mostly with pad... because they are optimized for that and normally have disastrous wheel adaptation. The crew is the exception.

Don't listen to pcars2 varying quality.
Why? a perfect example of this is the tracks, not all of them are laser scanned. Some tracks like Snetterton, Brand Hatch, Cadwell park are top quality. Then there are tracks like Road America which are not from what I remember.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your suggestions.

Wheel has arrived and had a food few hours on gt sport and dirt rally 2.

Dirt rally 2 is one hard game to master with a wheel! Gt sport I found it my easier and enjoyable.

Done ten laps with the same car and same track both on pad and then the wheel and I am just over a second quicker with the wheel, it's going to be fun learning to master it :)

Still debating between PC2 and AC for my next purchase, AC seems to get everyone's vote for a good wheel experience but PC2 is currently on sale for £10 on PSN so will think about it for a couple of days.

Dirt rally 2 is one hard game to master with a wheel! Gt sport I found it my easier and enjoyable.

Done ten laps with the same car and same track both on pad and then the wheel and I am just over a second quicker with the wheel, it's going to be fun learning to master it :)

Still debating between PC2 and AC for my next purchase, AC seems to get everyone's vote for a good wheel experience but PC2 is currently on sale for £10 on PSN so will think about it for a couple of days.
I like Pcars, never played AC but if it helps AC is usually on sale every other month on PS Store.

I'd definitely go for the deluxe edition for £14.99 over the standard for £9.99.

That's if you go for PC2.

Then again I'd do the same with AC, pay that little bit extra for the ultimate edition.

You definitely can’t go wrong with pcars 2 especially when it’s that cheap. The only reason why I couldn’t stick with it was because it runs like 🤬 on my old PS4 sometimes. I can’t go back to anything less an 60 fps after playing GT Sport.

Last edited:
Turns out there is a demo for PC2 on psn so will give it a go today see how it feels.

Its very cheap so will be worth £10/15 either way, if AC often pops up on sale too will be definitely worth a purchase too.

If I could get both for around £20 then theres no reason not to own both and should keep me busy well into the time ACC is released as that looks like a winner for sure.

In Assetto Corsa it definitely does make HUGE difference but the game in terms of content is terrible.

Project Cars 2 is really good, I see people complain about the AI yet neglect to tell you that you can adjust their skill level and aggressiveness separately to tailor it to your liking so the old "crap AI" is a moot point, it's not.

For a tip though AC is on PS Now so it's £8.99 in the UK for a 1 month subscription probably around $10 or €10 if you're outside the UK if you want to try before you buy

You should get both pcars 2 and assetto corsa.
Both games are fantastic in each their own way.

Assetto has the best feel. Like a real car with the wheel. But lacks in game play.

Pcars2 has the most content and GamePlay. And the force feedback is not bad eather.

In Assetto Corsa it definitely does make HUGE difference but the game in terms of content is terrible.

Project Cars 2 is really good, I see people complain about the AI yet neglect to tell you that you can adjust their skill level and aggressiveness separately to tailor it to your liking so the old "crap AI" is a moot point, it's not.

For a tip though AC is on PS Now so it's £8.99 in the UK for a 1 month subscription probably around $10 or €10 if you're outside the UK if you want to try before you buy

Thanks that's where I tried AC originally with a ps now trial.

The fact it also has f12019 all for £8.99 for one month is well worth its money, I should be picking up a months subscription :)

You should get both pcars 2 and assetto corsa.
Both games are fantastic in each their own way.

Assetto has the best feel. Like a real car with the wheel. But lacks in game play.

Pcars2 has the most content and GamePlay. And the force feedback is not bad eather.

Think I cant pass on PC2 either, the variety of cars is great and the demo was good enough to make me get both.

A lot of people have said just get both so I guess both it is :)

Latest Posts

Back