Best (racing) gaming TV/monitor for £500 - BenQ or Asus?

sesselpupser

Bearded Member
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
neema_t
Actually let me start again:

I've got a hard £500 budget for a new TV and these two have caught my eye:
BenQ BL3200PT: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-bl3200pt-qhd-monitor,review-33026.html
Asus PB328Q: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asus-pb328q-32-inch-amva-qhd-monitor,review-33428.html

Both 32", AMVA, 1440p, 60Hz displays, both apparently very good with sub-20ms response time, both with the same connectors, the difference boils down to the fact that the BenQ is £110 cheaper, but the Asus has 41ms input lag vs. the BenQ's 76ms. So that's £110 for not quite half the response time, and probably better quality overall.

I've settled for 32" because of physical constraints (and Oscar Hotel's opinion that anything considerably larger would be too big in our flat), also buying a TV would be sketchy because I notified the TV licensing people that we don't require a license so they'd question why we're buying a new TV (even though I already said we only use it for gaming and streaming services), which is a hassle I'd very much like to avoid as they've been good about not pressuring us since I declared. 1440p means it's a step up from what we have now (a cheapo Toshiba that OH says is fine but it makes me feel sick when I try to play racing games on it), and yeah, they both seem very good.

Which would you pick? Or do you know of any other contenders?

Last edited:
If a tv was an option I'd suggest a 40" current model Samsung. UHD, because why not? Samsungs are unerringly elegant and probably feel that little bit more discreet in the size department. Around 20ms input lag.

I could get an Aussie version (KU6000) for the equivalent of just over £400 right now. I assume that deals over there wouldn't be any worse. Huge bang for buck.

@LeMansAid that's a very good suggestion, I want to make sure the response time (which is really hard to find numbers for because apparently everyone thinks response time is input lag) is at least as good as the BenQ's and if it is, that's probably the winner if I can get OH to agree to a 40" set. Thanks!

I've decided that TVs are too slow for what I want and that I can save enough to buy what I really want this month, namely an Asus PG279Q, to replace my desktop monitor instead. It does mean I'll really actually have to build myself a desk that I can clamp my G27 to, but having consulted the relevant authorities I'll have a CNC router at my disposal to help with that.

I know it has severe QA issues regarding backlight bleed so I'll have to do some research about where to get it from (as the old ones are still being sold by some suppliers (Amazon)), but that's fine.

Been looking at gaming monitors as well, and have decided that for the money I'd prefer a curved screen with G-Sync.
i just ordered a GTX 1060, which isn't rated for 4k gaming, so WQHD [2560 x 1440] is all I need.

Still considering a smaller TV, mainly for the price and availability of HDR. Have not seen any monitors with HDR listed in the specifications.

So please update your progress and reviews when you can.

Still considering a smaller TV, mainly for the price and availability of HDR. Have not seen any monitors with HDR listed in the specifications.

There is an HDR monitor LG is developing that'll debut in CES 2017. http://www.pcgamer.com/lg-to-unveil-hdr-compatible-4k-monitor-next-month/ Frankly, there's little to no HDR content at the moment, and AFAIK only one game has true HDR mode, and that is Shadow Warrior 2. I was hoping FH3 would get it but nothing...

Techy - thanks for the info on the LG, I'll be on the watch for it and others with HDR in 2017.

My upgrade cycle is 2-3 years, just got the PS4 Pro and expect to get Xbox Scorpio next year. My monitor is a couple of years old now.

I'm hoping this will be the last large monitor I buy - good VR has the potential to replace monitors for gameplay.

Last edited:
Been looking at gaming monitors as well, and have decided that for the money I'd prefer a curved screen with G-Sync.
i just ordered a GTX 1060, which isn't rated for 4k gaming, so WQHD [2560 x 1440] is all I need.

So please update your progress and reviews when you can.

Be careful with HDR at the moment, it appears that proper Rec. 2020 gamut support is still not available so far so if you were to buy one now, you might find it's a little better than sRGB but will be massively superceded months later by devices that properly support Rec. 2020. I'm personally not interested in HDR because it'll preclude high refresh rates (as in 144Hz) which is a higher priority for me.

Back