Best roof cams

  • Thread starter Thread starter OfUnknownOrgin
  • 28 comments
  • 1,884 views
Messages
133
so what cars have the best roof cam, showing more of the bonnet and giving a good feeling of being in the drivers seat?

I can only think of a few:
Caterham Seven Fireblade (personal favorite)
Jay Leno Tank Car
Suzuki GSX-R

The Nike One has a good roof cam, but when you see the driver is under the top, it kind of changes.
 
Mazda 787B. It actually feels more like a bonnet cam than a roof cam...makes it so much more fun. 👍
 
except the fact the car is so friggin wide, cant tell when your off track.
 
Well the "roof cam" of the Honda TAKATA DOME JGTC NSX is the best because it has the best point of view and I wish all cars had that same angle.
 
i forgot about the 787b, shoulda listed it first. SO STUPID!

i haven't tried the roof cam in the F1, but i'd bet it's got a perfect sensation of driver's POV
 
OfUnknownOrgin
i forgot about the 787b, shoulda listed it first. SO STUPID!

i haven't tried the roof cam in the F1, but i'd bet it's got a perfect sensation of driver's POV

It is. 👍
 
I whole-heartedly agree about the Caterham Fireblade. I love using that car in roof view because it seems so real. Only things missing from the view are the bars.
 
here4's a few i played around with, all of which are at least noteworthy

AC 427 and Shelby Cobra
R92CP
Jaguar XGR-9
Playstation Pescarolo C60
Audi R8 Race car (but you can see the driver's helmet)
BMW V12 LMR Race car
Panoz Esperante (but kind of a disappointment)
Auto Union Streamline (you can even see the little windshield
Ford Model T
Chaparral 2J race car (i think you can see the radiator?)

i know there's more than this
 
OfUnknownOrgin
so what cars have the best roof cam, showing more of the bonnet and giving a good feeling of being in the drivers seat?
tnx for your thread, I think overall it's been underestimated what could have been one of the best new features of Gt4, if only Polyphony had done it better, I mean, eg the Subaru's views are horrible... :yuck:
Anyway I think the Supra Esso Ultraflo have a nice visual, and the Peugeot 206 is not bad.
 
In cadence with Bruttospritz's complaint I'll chime in and agree that while the new hood/roof angle is most welcomed, really PD should be giving us wayyyy more options for our driving views. Come on, it can't be that hard for them to do, and driving views GREATLY affect our experience of the game.

Think back to the first Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox and the myriad of views and angles on offer. Now THAT'S what we need more of in driving games.
 
i'm wondering why they didn't incorperate the blurring, bouncing effect you get in bumbercam with the roof/hood cam. really ticks me off sometmes as I think it gives a good sensation of impact.
 
I reckon that if they wanted to "penalize" people for wall-driving in bumper-cam, they shoulda done it for the roof-cam too.
Still a great addition, thx PD! Hope we get more views in GT5, like in-car view (with full dash)?
 
the F1 car is insane. A great "roof" POV.

Need for Speed series has done well with this in the past.

In NFS:HP2 they had 2 in car dashes of the Ferrari F50 and of the 550 barchetta, great stuff...

Even better was NFS2 from like 1995... they had every cars interior dashboard view... it was so much fun back then!
 
chet90si
Mazda 787B. It actually feels more like a bonnet cam than a roof cam...makes it so much more fun. 👍

Yes I agree with you, this is the best I have seen so far. It's the only one where you still feel close to the road.
Others like the R92 or CLK GTR are good, but you feel like you're driving a Truck when you overtake the others, you're just too high.
 
GuyNamedJohn
In cadence with Bruttospritz's complaint I'll chime in and agree that while the new hood/roof angle is most welcomed, really PD should be giving us wayyyy more options for our driving views. Come on, it can't be that hard for them to do, and driving views GREATLY affect our experience of the game.

Think back to the first Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox and the myriad of views and angles on offer. Now THAT'S what we need more of in driving games.

In car cam views would be very awesome and much more realistic but I couldn't think how much longer it would take. Modelling 700+ car's interior, each being unique in their own respectable way.
 
Rockhound18
the F1 car is insane. A great "roof" POV.

Need for Speed series has done well with this in the past.

In NFS:HP2 they had 2 in car dashes of the Ferrari F50 and of the 550 barchetta, great stuff...

Even better was NFS2 from like 1995... they had every cars interior dashboard view... it was so much fun back then!


NFS:HP2, God I love this game. this is just plain FUN! I knew one of those Ferrari's had in-car cams, i just don't remember which, but your right.

I found the CLK-GTR's cam ruined by that roof scoop, but this is even more evident in the Toyota GT-One. damned roof scoops ruin all the fun

as for the 700+ interior problem, the designers have to go to the cars themselves to take pictures and measurements anyway, so wouldn't this take just 20, 30 more minutes?

using 1000 cars, a guess as to GT5's car count (not including the 400 versions of a single skyline, sheesh) at 45 extra minutes a car. This totals to about 31-32 extra days of measurements. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra month for individual in-car cams, especially for cars I'll never see, like a CLK GTR or Formula 1. I don't know how much extra time it would take for the modeling of each car in a computer, but i still think it would be worth the wait.
 
OfUnknownOrgin
NFS:HP2, God I love this game. this is just plain FUN! I knew one of those Ferrari's had in-car cams, i just don't remember which, but your right.

I found the CLK-GTR's cam ruined by that roof scoop, but this is even more evident in the Toyota GT-One. damned roof scoops ruin all the fun

as for the 700+ interior problem, the designers have to go to the cars themselves to take pictures and measurements anyway, so wouldn't this take just 20, 30 more minutes?

using 1000 cars, a guess as to GT5's car count (not including the 400 versions of a single skyline, sheesh) at 45 extra minutes a car. This totals to about 31-32 extra days of measurements. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra month for individual in-car cams, especially for cars I'll never see, like a CLK GTR or Formula 1. I don't know how much extra time it would take for the modeling of each car in a computer, but i still think it would be worth the wait.

i wouldnt mind waiting either, but that costs serious $$$$$$
 
The Cerbera Speed 12's roof cam is quite good. You can only see a little bit of the actual roof and it sorta blends in with the bonnet anyway.
 
The Fireblade is the best, i love the way you can see the wheels move for some reason :)
 
OfUnknownOrgin
as for the 700+ interior problem, the designers have to go to the cars themselves to take pictures and measurements anyway, so wouldn't this take just 20, 30 more minutes?

using 1000 cars, a guess as to GT5's car count (not including the 400 versions of a single skyline, sheesh) at 45 extra minutes a car. This totals to about 31-32 extra days of measurements. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra month for individual in-car cams, especially for cars I'll never see, like a CLK GTR or Formula 1. I don't know how much extra time it would take for the modeling of each car in a computer, but i still think it would be worth the wait.
its not that easy. a 2d dashboard like the original need for speed had, would take hours to create. but a full state of the art 3d dashboard takes days.
a dashboard may take more time than a car itself, because for the car you can model it around blueprints or photos and it has lots of plain parts like the side, the bonnet and the roof, whereas the cockpit has much bits and pieces and different shapes everywhere.

its the same when people moan PD should not waste so much time creating 20 different skylines and they should include 18 different cars from europe instead, whereas in fact there are only 3 or 4 different shaped skyline models in the game. changing the badge and colour does not take any time.
 
i'm not gonna talk about the skylines to prevent an argument. As for the time, granted, I'm probably wrong, but i'd still wait for it. Possible a fixed dash cam, meaning you can't turn your head and look at the rest of the car.

i've thought about the amount of polygons dealing with a dash, and i've gotten this idea. When in the dash, you cannot see the reso of your car, so all them polygons could be used for your dash. BUT this could result in loading times in the middle of races which would really suck. who knows what PS3 could do, though.

i don't know jack about how games work. i be simple minded
 
The Suzuki Kei has a cool roof.👍
 
hitman146
mypersonal favorite is the f1 car you get a super speed feeling
I agree. And you actually get to see the wheels turn and bounce up and down. Its the only car I use the roof can on.
 
I don't remember the exact name of the game (I believe it was Driving Emotion Type S). I'm pretty sure it was made by Squaresoft. It was one of the original releases in America for the PS2, deifinitely the first racing simulator. Way to much understeer. Anyway, it had a driver POV with car-accurate dashes. I still remember the sweet cronograph dash in the Lexus IS300. Come to think of it, its probably worth the 10 bucks you could get it for.
 
undrewear
I don't remember the exact name of the game (I believe it was Driving Emotion Type S). I'm pretty sure it was made by Squaresoft. It was one of the original releases in America for the PS2, deifinitely the first racing simulator. Way to much understeer. Anyway, it had a driver POV with car-accurate dashes. I still remember the sweet cronograph dash in the Lexus IS300. Come to think of it, its probably worth the 10 bucks you could get it for.

Sorry, but I would not play Driving Emotion Type S (you were spot on with the title) if you paid me.

In my personal opinion it still rates as one of the worst racing games ever made. I bought it when it first came out (suposidly the first driving sim for the PS2 as you say) and it was awful.

If you are in a game shop and want to try it make sure you can get your money back, you may well want to.

Great car list, very average graphics, very poor handling.
 
Back