• Thread starter Omnis
  • 15 comments

Omnis

Not Even A Real Mod
Staff Emeritus
United States
Application hell
MP-Omnis
well.....i guess its pretty simple. lol.

what running shoes would you all recommend/ think is the best.

im looking for comfort first and foremost and then weight.

also...with the nike shox....if any of you have them.....is there some kinda thing that you have to do to em to make them cushy (lol). i owned a pair before...they were pretty good shoes but not all cushy and stuff. then i go to brandsmart to pick something up...and one of the loader guys has the same pair, only his were like wwwwoooosssshhhh springy. lol. but whatever.

thanks in advance...heh.

What distances are you planning to run in them? Are you running on the road, or on track? Do you know how severely you pronate, and what shoe best fits your foot?

I run on the road, and fairly long distances. I currently run in a pair of Asics 2070s, Asics Kayanos, and I'm soon to add a pair of Asics 2080s to the stable. I'll cover anywhere between 50-80 km a week, and am training for my first marathon.

well. like general purpose running shoes. i dont asics would fit me very well....i have a wide foot and size 15 shoes too....

but yeah, i usually run about 800m daily at a faster than average jog on asphalt/sidewalk.

thanks.

Originally posted by Omnis

also...with the nike shox....if any of you have them.....is there some kinda thing that you have to do to em to make them cushy (lol). i owned a pair before...they were pretty good shoes but not all cushy and stuff. then i go to brandsmart to pick something up...and one of the loader guys has the same pair, only his were like wwwwoooosssshhhh springy. lol. but whatever.

thanks in advance...heh.

My guess would be Dr. Scholls.:D

Originally posted by Omnis
well. like general purpose running shoes. i dont asics would fit me very well....i have a wide foot and size 15 shoes too....

but yeah, i usually run about 800m daily at a faster than average jog on asphalt/sidewalk.

thanks.

I would recommend going to a decent running shoe store, where you can get decent advice. Curious that you don't think Asics don't fit wide feet - I have wide feet for my shoe size (although mostly in the fore-foot) and they're the brand I feel most comfortable running in (and when you're talking 30km+ runs that's pretty important).

There are a heap of other really good quality brands I would go for before Nike:
- New Balance
- Brooks
- Mizuno
- Saucony

Check those brands out and see how you go.

i agree new balance has good running shoes and so does saucony, reebok also has good ones (DMX lite) and nike is good aswell

lol, the shox question was just a seperate one. and i meant the actual shox colums.

anyways...i picked up a pair of DMX's. they're good shoes. pretty light, very comfy, they should be good.

thanks all you guys. lol.

vat man...my new reeboks and i could take you in your little marathon anyday. muahahaha!. lol, j/p. i wouldnt have a snowball's chance in hell (well, maybe if i had some kinda golf cart thingy). but good luck with that thing dude.

umm yeah. thanks again.

peace.

I was also taken aback by the comment of Asics not being wide enough... I have very wide feet, and Asics are the best fit for me (as well as 90% of the kids on my Cross Country team). I also like Saucony, though they seem to usually be a bit heavier than the Asics and overly padded in some areas. I haven't tried New Balances at all (usually more expensive than other brands). In general, Nike makes bad running shoes...

This is a bit off topic, but since it seems as if the question has been answered.

Why do running shoe's have such bad designs? lol. Wouldn't it cost them the same to make them look a little bit nicer? I mean, all of them practically look the same with the same swirly(?) desing.

well....i only said asics because i tried their discus shoes once and they sucked. (thank god for nike zoom rotationals and my discus AdiStars...heh.)

umm, as for the dr. scholls.....unfortunatly they dont make insoles big enough....if big ppl cant be "gellin" (how stupid) then i say **** em. ill find a gel thing elsewhere.

Originally posted by quicksilver1122
This is a bit off topic, but since it seems as if the question has been answered.

Why do running shoe's have such bad designs? lol. Wouldn't it cost them the same to make them look a little bit nicer? I mean, all of them practically look the same with the same swirly(?) desing.

Well, the basic styling of a properly designed running shoe is pretty well dictated by how the strapping across the top of the shoe is structured.

Kayano.jpg

If you look at these late model series 8 Asics Kayano, they carry the quite distinctive Asics style of the vertical and horizontal strapping at the sides of the shoe forming a rough A shape. Appears decorative, until you look a bit closer...

As the diagram below shows, the strapping is in fact integral to the structure of the shoe, and how the top of the shoe interacts with the sole.

I can't speak for the purely fashion based type training shoes, but that's generally why trainers look the way they do.

Attachments

• kayano diagram.jpg
    kayano diagram.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
What do you guys think would be the best running shoes under 70 dollars? Msybe *) at the most because I really am not one to spend a lot of money on footwear.

Oh, and where's the best place to purchase them? Would a simple sporting goods retail store like sportsmart, copelands, big 5, etc be OK?

I love my New Balance, they fit my foot and I wear a wide shoe. All I've ever won is New Balance, they are comfortable, lightweight, and look good too. I'm currently wearing New Balance 640's.

Originally posted by quicksilver1122
What do you guys think would be the best running shoes under 70 dollars? Msybe *) at the most because I really am not one to spend a lot of money on footwear.

Oh, and where's the best place to purchase them? Would a simple sporting goods retail store like sportsmart, copelands, big 5, etc be OK?

I go to Sports Authority if I want to buy sports shoes and etc., but most of my New Balance shoes come from Shoe Carnival.

Back