Best single player racing sim

• Thread starter OneGunner
  • 10 comments
United States
United States
What I'm looking for is a game that has the sort of in-depth campaign that Gran Turismo 1-4 were known for. Ideally, however, the AI would be challenging enough that I don't feel like my cars are overpowered all the time.

And although I am really enjoying Gran Turismo Sport (both online and offline) the single player portion is sorely missing a qualifying time segment. I think GT Sport should not only ramp up the difficulty on the Professional AI, but also allow players to get their qualifying time in.

Is there a game out there that has the in-depth campaign I'm looking for? Or should I just return to GT 4?

Project cars 2

Full length career settings (including the Le-Mans 24hrs), full race weekend settings (practice/qualifying/race), full damage (including mechanical failures), adjustable AI (skill/aggression) individual settings, full dynamic time of day & weather settings, loads of invitational & manufacturers events & a track rosta that no other console racer contains.

That should keep you busy.

I think the deluxe edition is currently on sale, get it.

UK store £14.99
https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP0700-CUSA04093_00-PCARS2DELUXEED00

US store $13.49
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA06569_00-PCARS2DELUXE0000

Last edited:
I previously played the demo for PC2, but I remember the camera having some weird issues. Some people suggested this might have been patched out for the actual release.

Is there any way to fix it or tweak the settings? I race using a gamepad and I almost always use the chase cam.

The biggest I found with the chase camera in PC2 was the poor sense of speed. This can be minimized by increasing the Field of View (FOV) setting to somewhere in the range of 90 to 100 degrees.

What exactly wrong with a chase camera? I didn't noticed anything to complain.

It's better than in GT sport, on every car. Dunno how to get used to chase camera in 356 Porsche for the worst example.

To op, PC2 has a challenging AI, more than you ever have asked for:).

Some how the chase camera gave me eye strain. I think it is the way it follows and rotates. I don't have this problem in my many racing games.

I second PCARS 2. However, you might have to fiddle with settings if you don’t want to use a wheel.

Alternatively, I would look into an Xbox 360 or PS3 second-hand. GT5 and 6 and Forza Motorsport 2, 3, and 4 all have pretty deep single player modes IMO. Others I recommend are Grid (the old one) and NFS Shift 1 and 2 (you might have to fiddle with settings for the Shift games, because Slightly Mad).

If you have to stick with PS1-2, try finding any of the TOCA Race Driver games or Enthusia.

If you’re looking towards Steam: Assetto Corsa is a time trial sim at its deepest. Dirt Rally 2.0 is ruined by unreliable always-online shenanigans. Euro Truck Simulator 2 isn’t racing, if that’s a priority to you. There’s a few others I’d toss out there, but they’re delisted now. I don’t know what’s on Steam (besides PCARS 2) that has what you’re looking for.

What exactly wrong with a chase camera? I didn't noticed anything to complain.

It's better than in GT sport, on every car. Dunno how to get used to chase camera in 356 Porsche for the worst example.

To op, PC2 has a challenging AI, more than you ever have asked for:).

I found that it followed way too close to the car so you can barely see the track. But again I only played the demo.

Back