Best starter car?

• Thread starter Joel3219
  • 19 comments
Its a good Front Wheel drive car, but vs other drive trains its going to suffer. You can fix those problems with certain parts, but they can be expensive like the Fully Customizable LSD. Cheaper versions performance may vary some depending on your car with a 1-Way LSD or even a 1.5-LSD. The most cost effect solution though is to get a Wing and put max downforce in the front and about 4 points less in the rear.

The best starter car though would likely be a used Toyota Supra 2.5GT Twin Turbo R '90.

One of my favorite starter cars, was my favorite in GT3. Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Turbo, 36,745 CR (6.2 mile version of the '96 on week 9) on the high end, and 15,102 ('95)-15,130 ('96) on the low end. A good 4WD, with lots of room for upgrading. There is a '95 available with 30,421 miles on week 2 for 21,575.

I have to go with the Nismo 270R which you get, free, for bronzing the IA license. Stock out of the box it can win the Capri Rally (Easy) money machine. Which gives you enough money to buy a decent Mercedes for the SL Challenge manufacturers race. Which in turn gives you a Mercedes CLK Touring Car, that you then use to win the DTM. So you're at less than 2% game completion and have no cash problems at all.

I can't think of any other car that gives you anywhere close to that kind of start.

I think he was talking about purchasing a car with limited funds early.

But yeah, I prefer the minimalist approach of not buying unless you have to.

Can't get much earlier than winning the Capri Rally in the very first race you do, though.

i started with an old 90's skyline (cant remember exact deitails as i have sold it) because im a skyline guy... it was moderatly good in the early stages... i gradualy upgraded and tuned it untill i bought my R34 nur and then i sold it... great old car it was

It's funny, even though I have been away from this game for a couple years now, just recently I was getting the itch to fire it up again and start up a game from scratch.

Here is a list of cars that I was thinking of starting up with. (NA prices)

Historic lot:
$5,914 -1985 RX-7 GT-Limited (FC, J) (I've used this one in the past. Its a fun car to run.)
$6,600 - 1988 Silvia K's (S13)(turbo, 4cyl, lightweight = fun)
$8,347 - 1989 Skyline GTS-t Type M

Used 1:
$8,700 - 1990 RX-7 GT-X (FC, J)
$7,136 - 1991 Silvia K's (S13)
$8,868 - 1993 Silvia K's Aero (S14)
$9,313 - Skyline GTS-t Type M
$9,582 - 1992 Lancer Evolution GSR

I tend to avoid FR cars unless I need to use them.
And I feel that FR cars are a little better off in the beginning even though I included an Evo in my list. You just get a better bang for your buck with FR cars in the beginning.

Yeah I started GT4 with a red S13 K's '91, was a great little runner.:)

Yeah, that was in my top 2 if I decided to play through the game for a 4th time. (Already have 3 saved games.) The other being the S14 Aero.

Out of all 3 games, I have never used a Silvia as a starting car.

Yeah, that was in my top 2 if I decided to play through the game for a 4th time. (Already have 3 saved games.) The other being the S14 Aero.

Out of all 3 games, I have never used a Silvia as a starting car.

Just choose that car to start my 2nd play through the game. It has been great. So far.

I went for the Nissan Fairlady Z Z32 '89. It wasn't a bad car but I soon grew out of it.

Great topic guys. I'm starting a new campaign and well, would like your opinions on what a good starter car is for GT4? Unfortunately I upgraded my Lupo with a few parts and won the Sunday Cup with it, but now, in the FF Challenge, it's apparent that it won't cut the mustard.

Great topic guys. I'm starting a new campaign and well, would like your opinions on what a good starter car is for GT4? Unfortunately I upgraded my Lupo with a few parts and won the Sunday Cup with it, but now, in the FF Challenge, it's apparent that it won't cut the mustard.
Personally I would say either the Suzuki Cappuccino '91 or any 90's Honda Civic, especially the '97 Type R.

All the Cappuccino needs is an oil change and ASM/TCS set to 0 to win the Suzuki K-Car event, and it gives 15,000 credits and a Suzuki Concept that you can use to beat FF Challenge and Japanese Compact Car. You can also use the Cappuccino to beat Lightweight Kei for the Ginetta G4, which you can put a turbo stage 1 onto so it can beat British Lightweight. That'll give you the Lotus Europa, which only needs an oil change and a racing flywheel to beat Lotus Classics. You'll make about 60k credits from all of this, and all you need is the B licence.

The Civic has its own event which gives 25,000 credits also, but it's a little more difficult than the Suzuki one. A Type R with a few basic upgrades (oil change, racing flywheel, weight stage 1, computer, 0 ASM and TCS) should have no issues beating the event. You can use a SiR-II with a stage 1 turbo also, but it doesn't grip as nicely as the Type R out of corners with 0 TCS. It'll beat FF Challenge as well, but you'll need to switch to a different car after that since there isn't much else it can enter.

Last edited:
Personally I would say either the Suzuki Cappuccino '91 or any 90's Honda Civic, especially the '97 Type R.

All the Cappuccino needs is an oil change and ASM/TCS set to 0 to win the Suzuki K-Car event, and it gives 25,000 credits and a Suzuki Concept that you can use to beat FF Challenge and Japanese Compact Car. You can also use the Cappuccino to beat Lightweight Kei for the Ginetta G4, which you can put a turbo stage 1 onto so it can beat British Lightweight. That'll give you the Lotus Europa, which only needs an oil change and a racing flywheel to beat Lotus Classics. You'll make about 60k credits from all of this, and all you need is the B licence.

The Civic has its own event which gives 25,000 credits also, but it's a little more difficult than the Suzuki one. A Type R with a few basic upgrades (oil change, racing flywheel, weight stage 1, computer, 0 ASM and TCS) should have no issues beating the event. You can use a SiR-II with a stage 1 turbo also, but it doesn't grip as nicely as the Type R out of corners with 0 TCS. It'll beat FF Challenge as well, but you'll need to switch to a different car after that since there isn't much else it can enter.

Dude that reply was absolute 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥!!!!!!!

Great bit of info there! I'm gonna follow those steps to a tee(no pun intended :) ). Thanks for that advice brother. I can tell you know your stuff when it comes to GT4.

Hey guys. Which car do you recommend for the Professional Events? I made a mistake and spent too much money tuning my WRX STi only to still get my ass kicked even though it has a whopping 494HP LOL.

Hey guys. Which car do you recommend for the Professional Events? I made a mistake and spent too much money tuning my WRX STi only to still get my ass kicked even though it has a whopping 494HP LOL.
Which events are you having trouble with? I'm guessing the Supercar Festival? If it's the other events, you're either getting unlucky with event line-ups (eg. the RUF Yellow Bird starting in pole in Boxer Spirit) or something in your car's setup is slowing it down, like ASM/TCS or its gear setup. You should be able to beat Clubman Cup, Tuning Car Grand Prix, Turbo and Boxer Spirit with what you have now.

For Supercar Festival, I recommend the Corvette Z06. Buy an oil change and a wing from GT Auto, then buy brakes, semi-racing muffler, NA stage 2, custom transmission, racing flywheel, custom LSD, sports suspension, weight reduction stage 1 and 2 and soft sports tyres.

Set ASM and TCS to 0, set downforce to 30 / 30, set the LSD to 60 / 60 / 10, then set ride height to 100 / 100, dampers to 2 / 4 and camber to 2.0 / 3.0. For gears, set the final gear to 4.500, then set Auto Setting to 1, then set the final gear to 2.500. Move 5th and 6th gear all the way to the right, move 1st gear all the way to the left, then space out 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear evenly. Add a 60kg ballast at 50 balance; this will give the rear wheels more traction and reduce wheelspin when launching and exiting corners.

The car will be a little icey on the first lap while the tyres are cold, but once they heat up, the car handles like a dream (at least from my testing). It'll easily beat its own manufacturer event, Stars and Stripes and Race of NA Sports also.

If you need money to fund all that, you'll get a bunch from beating Stars of Pleiades with your Subaru. You can also use it to beat the road events in the Special Conditions hall. World Compact Car Race is very easy and awards a decent amount of money too.

For GT World Championship, you've a few options: beat the El Capitan endurance for the Minolta, get 50% completion for the Jaguar, or wait until days 694-700 for the black LM prototypes to appear in the used lots. Make sure it has the right set of tyres equipped, so both the front and rear wear evenly and you can reduce the amount of pit stops needed. Turn off ASM, but keep TCS on if you want to be safe.

Which events are you having trouble with? I'm guessing the Supercar Festival? If it's the other events, you're either getting unlucky with event line-ups (eg. the RUF Yellow Bird starting in pole in Boxer Spirit) or something in your car's setup is slowing it down, like ASM/TCS or its gear setup. You should be able to beat Clubman Cup, Tuning Car Grand Prix, Turbo and Boxer Spirit with what you have now.

For Supercar Festival, I recommend the Corvette Z06. Buy an oil change and a wing from GT Auto, then buy brakes, semi-racing muffler, NA stage 2, custom transmission, racing flywheel, custom LSD, sports suspension, weight reduction stage 1 and 2 and soft sports tyres.

Set ASM and TCS to 0, set downforce to 30 / 30, set the LSD to 60 / 60 / 10, then set ride height to 100 / 100, dampers to 2 / 4 and camber to 2.0 / 3.0. For gears, set the final gear to 4.500, then set Auto Setting to 1, then set the final gear to 2.500. Move 5th and 6th gear all the way to the right, move 1st gear all the way to the left, then space out 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear evenly. Add a 60kg ballast at 50 balance; this will give the rear wheels more traction and reduce wheelspin when launching and exiting corners.

The car will be a little icey on the first lap while the tyres are cold, but once they heat up, the car handles like a dream (at least from my testing). It'll easily beat its own manufacturer event, Stars and Stripes and Race of NA Sports also.

If you need money to fund all that, you'll get a bunch from beating Stars of Pleiades with your Subaru. You can also use it to beat the road events in the Special Conditions hall. World Compact Car Race is very easy and awards a decent amount of money too.

For GT World Championship, you've a few options: beat the El Capitan endurance for the Minolta, get 50% completion for the Jaguar, or wait until days 694-700 for the black LM prototypes to appear in the used lots. Make sure it has the right set of tyres equipped, so both the front and rear wear evenly and you can reduce the amount of pit stops needed. Turn off ASM, but keep TCS on if you want to be safe.
Thanks for the reply brother. When I wrote that post I was struggling with the Tuning Car Grand Prix. But then I discovered a post from the past that reminded me the path I took during my first playthrough of the game back in 2016.

I remembered that I saved up credits by beating the Stars of Pleiades Championship, and then bought the Mines Skyline. So that'll be my plan....and then use that to beat the Japanese Championship, and then use the Nizmo Lemans(or whatever it is) prize car to beat the tuner challenge.

But man....that Stars of Pleiades event is a gold mine. About 220K per championship assuming you sell the prize car. Pretty crazy.

On an unrelated side-note,out of curiosity Tea...what type of controller do you use(or used to use) to play GT4? Are you on a wheel? If so, what wheel? If it's the DFP, what degree of rotation is your DFP set to? I started out with 900º and that felt good and still does on some cars, but since doing Mission 18 at LeSarthe, I've set it to 540º and I find that the car turns a bit better.

Sure, that works. Tuning the Impreza was a good call in any case. The Impreza LM is fantastic for the Special Conditions events as well; put qualifying racing tyres and a turbo on it and it'll sweep the Hard tarmac special condition races, including Tsukuba Wet.
On an unrelated side-note,out of curiosity Tea...what type of controller do you use(or used to use) to play GT4? Are you on a wheel? If so, what wheel? If it's the DFP, what degree of rotation is your DFP set to? I started out with 900º and that felt good and still does on some cars, but since doing Mission 18 at LeSarthe, I've set it to 540º and I find that the car turns a bit better.
I play on a DualShock these days; I own a G29 and a DFGT, but I moved out a couple years ago and I don't have room to set them up in my current room. Never really tried messing around with the rotation settings, I usually just kept them stock. I was too young to know how to set up the DFGT properly back in the day; maybe 540 degrees does give better response than 900.

I am curious about the 'Active Steering' option though; I haven't experimented with it myself much yet, but I've read posts on here claiming it helped with controlling certain cars. So many things to test and research, between that and all the A-spec and B-spec optimization stuff across these forums...

Last edited:
Starter cars are debatable, and for good reason. A good rule of thumb is to pick a car that you can comfortably beat early events with.
For me, the Lancer Evo was the best overall starter. Decent HP in stock form, and it does not take many upgrades to make it competitive in the harder events.
Eligible in many early events as well. And it is the easier starter car, due to its 4WD configuration.
Other solid choices are: Mazda RX-7 FC, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo (MA-70), Honda Civic EK, and TeaKanji's funny little Suzuki

Back