Best TVs for PC Gaming (Minimum 120Hz input support)

Australia
Australia
Soulfresh-ACV

After managing to run 120Hz on my existing TV with my PC and with flat screen TVs getting more and more affordable each day, did some research and reading website and ending up finding Rtings which gives an excellent list of reviews and features with the current generation TVs. One thing that they provide is Input Lag and 120Hz Refresh Rate input support.

Personally, I'd been looking for affordability/input lag/overall review (as per Rtings). Unfortunately, I couldn't find the equivalent model for X810C with the same specs to the US counterpart in Australia.

The rest of the list from Rtings for TVs that accepts 120Hz input @ Full HD and available in the US are:

Last edited:
None of those are probably real 120Hz at 4K...Hell I think Dell is still working on making the first true 120hz or maybe it was 14hhz 4K monitor.

None of those are probably real 120Hz at 4K...Hell I think Dell is still working on making the first true 120hz or maybe it was 14hhz 4K monitor.

Sorry, none of them support 120Hz in 4K resolution. I'll take the blame and update the original post to make it clear that 120Hz is only at Full HD resolution

Last edited:
Does those run at 60 fps @ 4k ?

I've read that a lot of those 4k tv run at 30 fps max.

Also not sure about those but if you buy a tv to do gaming and watch tv, make sure you get a HD ready 4k tv.

This was basicly my post yesterday:

For 4K @ 60Hz you would need HDMI 2.0. Which at my understanding is not out yet on consumer grade electronics. Cable yes, hardware no.

HDMI 2.0 : "HDMI 2.0 increases the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which allows for a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s"

Max :
4096×2160p/60 Hz 3D: 1920×1080p/60 Hz & 4096×2160p/24 Hz

DP 1.4 : 32,4 GBit/s: or 7680x4320 (8K)

HDMI 1.4 should be able to output 1080p @ 120hz, but I have a 3D panel with 1.4 port and 2.0 cable, yet I only get 60hz out.... Over DVI (DL) I get the full 120hz....

Also is worth noting that most TV have 60hz panels and do some trickery with interpollation and the like to achieve 120-200-400-480-600hz

So for 120Hz in 4K only Dp1.4 will be able to achieve, and that port isn't out yet too....

Don't get me started over HDMI...
I am pretty fed up with the whole HDMI ports, upgrades in specification every year, a cable male with electricity on it, so you can happily fry your HDMI ports, and still massively inferior to the license free DP.

And we are not even talking about 3D here, where HDMI 2.0 is still massively underpowered with 2160p@24 or 1080p@60.

And then we could go on with variable frame rates which are, on my basic notions, more important than let's say a fix 144hz.

Also is worth noting that most TV have 60hz panels and do some trickery with interpollation and the like to achieve 120-200-400-480-600hz

Appreciate the information for others.

The TV models compiled above are not based on manufacturer "effective refresh rates" (other words with frame interpolation). That's why all the listed TVs above have minimum 120Hz native refresh rate panels, tested 120Hz source input signals and then passes frame skipping test in order to be considered to listed as 120Hz @ FullHD supported .

That's why it's invaluable compiled list of TVs that I shared for like minded people looking for such gaming PC TV. I encourage everyone to follow the links and read information on Rtings. They also specify the input lag which are all different for each TV as well and important for gaming if you're hardcore enough.

Good Work @Soulfresh_ACV

Will be very interesting with the newest models for 2016 supporting HDR and Blu-ray 4K specifications. This will include 60fps at 4K but likely some panels will offer the 120Hz 1080p and decent input lag levels.

HDR capable TVs will support the BDA-developed “BD HDR” new specification, or via compatible HDR formats such as Dolby Vision. Dolby has stated that PC and Console could support their format although nothing has been stated that any developers have that I know of yet.

It could be possible HDR is on the new PS4.5 and supported on current/upcoming graphics cards. I am not sure if it is yet possible on current GPU?

So 4K looks to have amazing contrast and colour quality. Also potentially a TV that offers 120Hz 1080p would be a rather sweet big ass gaming screen for PC/Console users.

Last edited:
Good Work @Soulfresh_ACV

Will be very interesting with the newest models for 2016 supporting HDR and Blu-ray 4K specifications. This will include 60fps at 4K but likely some panels will offer the 120Hz 1080p and decent input lag levels.

HDR capable TVs will support the BDA-developed “BD HDR” new specification, or via compatible HDR formats such as Dolby Vision. Dolby has stated that PC and Console could support their format although nothing has been stated that any developers have that I know of yet.

It could be possible HDR is on the new PS4.5 and supported on current/upcoming graphics cards. I am not sure if it is yet possible on current GPU?

So 4K looks to have amazing contrast and colour quality. Also potentially a TV that offers 120Hz 1080p would be a rather sweet big ass gaming screen for PC/Console users.

I do agree that TV are getting much more capable and affordable that most of us console/pc gamers in the lounge room will find very desirable.

Just be very careful if you ever do get any of the mentioned TVs because panels/specs might be slightly different in different regions. How much I envy North Americans though.

The biggest problem is the input lag even on some 2016 models can still be rather high.
For the UK market this is one of the better review sites that cover aspects that you highlight.

I really enjoy my Phillips 1080p Ambilight model. Really found the atmosphere the lighting adds as enjoyable even if for gaming it also has rather average response time.

You may like this website @Soulfresh_ACV
Link

Currently in the UK here is a good example:
Sony 2016 basic-mid range 4K UHD model RRP £799 55"
This will likely be £650 within 10-12 months after release as prices fall but gives an indication of how great value some TVs as decent monitors for sim gaming may be. Also with the benefits of supporting various scenarios below. While not perhaps having the best refresh or lowest lag for many people it will not be an issue.

Supports
4K @ 60Hz / 4:4:4
1080p @ 120Hz

I am curious also of potential for custom res/window for large screen 21:9 gaming,
On a 50"+ model this would be excellent and much larger than current 21:9 monitors at only 34"

Custom Res Desktop or Potentially Forced Resolutions (if compatible)
21:9 2560/1080
21:9 3440/1440

My own pref would be in the future to possible have one big screen to offer all those experiences.

Last edited:
You may like this website @Soulfresh_ACV
Link

Currently in the UK here is a good example:
Sony 2016 basic-mid range 4K UHD model RRP £799 55"
This will likely be £650 within 10-12 months after release as prices fall but gives an indication of how great value some TVs as decent monitors for sim gaming may be. Also with the benefits of supporting various scenarios below. While not perhaps having the best refresh or lowest lag for many people it will not be an issue.

Supports
4K @ 60Hz / 4:4:4
1080p @ 120Hz

I am curious also of potential for custom res/window for large screen 21:9 gaming,
On a 50"+ model this would be excellent and much larger than current 21:9 monitors at only 34"

Custom Res Desktop or Potentially Forced Resolutions (if compatible)
21:9 2560/1080
21:9 3440/1440

My own pref would be in the future to possible have one big screen to offer all those experiences.

Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely still interested in the TV route as I had said before in the HTC Vive VR Thread, the cost/usage ratio is justifiable when using it as a TV/Sim racing at 120Hz. But harder to dispose the my current 42" TV when it's all working very well. (BTW recently ordered a few cheap Dayton transducers to add to the rig :P. Not much good review but cheap amp goes with cheap transducers, right? :lol:)

I'm still not a fan with 4K TVs because 1080p content are still being upscaled and not native resolution. They might look pretty good these days but the bigger the screen the more artefacts are visible. Maybe just me be stingy and picky at the same time :P.

Like you, I've been looking at ultra-wide screen setup, but PC monitors which my conclusion is they're expensive @ size/refresh rate, limited functionality (as I use my laptop for both work/casual web browsing).

If ultra-wide custom resolutions on 4K TV works, it will be pretty amazing. Since most of the time true ultra-wide resolutions aren't usable in many modern games still.

Your welcome friend, give me a PM when you get the Pucs and Simvibe up and running.

That site I linked seems to have very good reviews so thought you would like it. Sony seem to be one of the major brands going more towards the 1080/120. Perhaps that is also an indicator for the new PS4 possibilities who knows but lag/response time still need to be considered as important too. Sonys own forums for their TVs will have some discussion on various modes and people using for 120Hz or indeed 4K gaming.

I think 1080p-4K scaling is rather good now on most sets, it has to be as that is the most common format now with also 720p based broadcasts today. Of course with desktop usage then native 4K may be best. If only a TV comes along to offer FREESYNC/GSYNC but many of todays monitors seem vastly overpriced when compared to the latest UHD Tvs.

This site below discusses custom resolutions for 21:9
4k Ultrawide: 3840x1620 /1440p Ultrawide: 2560x1080 /1080p Ultrawide: 1920x810
Here

Also THIS
Custom Resolution Utility CRU

I still have interest to learn more on what are the best solutions or models yet and ALSO the downsides to all this.

As always a pleasure to talk with you buddy...
This topic and thread really deserved more interest/participation.

Last edited:
Possible their may be more answers on places like "wsgf" I am sure you will know of it.

Not been their in a long time but it used to always be the place to go regards custom resolutions and widescreen gaming of any kind.

I can get 1920x810 desktop no problems on my Phillips TV (1080p).
Just using HD530 from my CPU currently (awaiting new card in summer). It seems displays 21:9 fine but likely need to use a custom app or force custom resolutions with certain games to maintain this aspect ration rather than that of the display.

Your Custom resolutions link not working.

Not sure how to promote or get more people involved in this thread. Perhaps not alot of casual PC gamers are looking for niche 120Hz TVs. However, I do hope 1080p 120Hz native panels (and even 4K in the future) becomes the norm. G-Sync is not open standard, while Freesync is open-standard, but until HDMI working group adopts it like VESA has and HDMI 2.0 becomes standard/common on TVs. But then we will be after other techs like HDR etc.

Link Sorted...

HDR is supported on all the new GPU cards like 480/1080, now we just need DX12 and devs to fully implement it.
Dolby Vision has not been announced yet which is a rival format for the 4K Blu Ray but again very few TV brands have so far supported it either.

Last edited:
A bit of a bump, but this thread was mentioned in the latest Linus Tech Tips video which I thought was pretty interesting

(2:22)

Funning how I haven't even update this thread for a long time since there seems to be no much interests.

Great for noticing though. Linus needs to start placing credits and their URLs their YT desc :lol:

Back