Best wheel to use - PS2 for GT2?

• Thread starter Snail89
  • 2 comments
Canada
Canada
Knowing next to nothing about anything, I went off and bought the cheapest/best wheel compatible with a PS2 on FB Marketplace because I wanted to have the greatest simulation experience possible at the best price…for GT2. I bought a used Logitech Driving Force Pro for $75, which apparently was developed for Gran Turismo 4. Point and laugh if you must.

Well low and behold, the wheel doesn’t seem compatible whatsoever with GT2 (likely because it’s a PS1 game). To add insult to injury, I tried on with GT4 and hey! It does work…but not great! The steering seems alright but the pedals are sending ghost signals (braking when I’m not touching the brake pedal) and throttle application doesn’t seem to register consistently (sometimes giving me full throttle, sometimes throttle pulses, something nothing). So yeah…disappointed, but I won’t go back to the guy who sold it.

So my question to you; can I salvage my driving experience with this wheel? Has anyone rebuilt the pedals, taken them apart to clean them up? Or is this a common ‘they’re on life support’ and fixing them up is not at all worth it? Also, is there any way to get this system to work with GT2, which was what I had initially bought it for? If not, what wheel/pedal system would have worked best for PS1 games? (just so I know…)

Thanks!

GT2 has a problem with a huge ass deadzone on the analog steering axis which made using a wheel a pointless and frustrating endeavor the last time I attempted it years ago. I had a DFGT and even set the controller as a negcon or whatever in the game/emulator.

I no longer have the wheel, but having messed with DS4Windows for other reasons, there's probably a way to negate a deadzone or set a custom output curve to do so. I just don't care enough about it anymore to look into it myself.

I never tried GT2, but GT1 works great on a Twin Turbo 2 steering wheel (compatible for PS1 and PS2, supports digital, analog and NegCon modes), you can even precisely fine-tune range and deadzone, which makes it very possible to outclass standard Dualshock controller experience.

As far as I know, modern wheels do not support classic NegCon mode that was used for majority of racing titles from PS1 era, which makes it difficult to play them on a modern wheel, just as it is difficult to play modern games such as GT4 on a PS1 era wheel (though I did try Ford Racing 2 and remained stunned how nicely it controlled). It also depends on the game's range of options - in some games you'll have huge deadzone that can be eliminated only be tweaking the settings inside the game - if the game allows you to do it. Sometimes you'll have all the options you need, but delay in turning won't be good in which case you're out of luck. It always depends on a game, and sometimes the wheel itself.

GT2 is probably a specific case and if you want, I can try it as soon as I get the chance and see how it drives on the TT2 wheel I own. So far, I can only recommend trying GT1, maybe it will react better to your wheel, apparently it has better built-in wheel support than GT2.

Latest Posts

Back