BHP strangness ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Darkmiss
  • 11 comments
  • 1,072 views
Messages
225
Messages
Darkmiss
Messages
TK7078
can anyone explain to me why the BHP on new cars changes so much?

For instance if i look a the BHP of a new car in the showroom, it show the BHP of that car.
If I then buy the car and look at it in my garage it shows less BHP.
Then if I click on the car from the garage and go into the detailed car view, the BHP will have changed yet again (usually only by a point or two)

And then their is the whole changing of the oil thing, that sometimes doesn't bring the BHP up to the amount originally shown in the showroom.

just to be clear these are new (premium) cars I am talking about, not used cars.
 
There is literally a post about this on this page, look down about 8 threads...
 
There is literally a post about this on this page, look down about 8 threads...

Well I did look first time and just looked again and I cant see anything regarding this issue.

Their is a post about the BHP changing if you run a car in, but I'm talking about a new car never even used once, just bought new from the showroom.
 
This happened in GT4 too, the dealership would tell you one thing, then the garage screen would tell you something else, then in the tuning menu it would be different again... Weird but just choose one figure and go with it, I normally just go off what the garage screen tells me.
 
This happened in GT4 too, the dealership would tell you one thing, then the garage screen would tell you something else, then in the tuning menu it would be different again... Weird but just choose one figure and go with it, I normally just go off what the garage screen tells me.

But why? this just seems extremely sloppy for a game of this calibre.
their must be some explanation for this, GT5 has been in the making for far to long for this to be overlooked surely ?

OR... is their some specific reason this is happening ?
 
This happened in GT4 too, the dealership would tell you one thing, then the garage screen would tell you something else, then in the tuning menu it would be different again... Weird but just choose one figure and go with it, I normally just go off what the garage screen tells me.

But why? this just seems extremely sloppy for a game of this calibre.
their must be some explanation for this, GT5 has been in the making for far to long for this to be overlooked surely ?

OR... is their some specific reason this is happening ?


PD is trying to be real, because you dealers lie about the performance of cars to make a sell. Maybe the AI dealers are the same way
 
This happened in GT4 too, the dealership would tell you one thing, then the garage screen would tell you something else, then in the tuning menu it would be different again

Just like in real life, you can't trust the car dealer. Man they thought of everything in this game.
 
Or maybe the bhp calculation in the game is a bit shoddy.
 
The BHP on real life cars varies, for example every Renault Laguna Coupe GT 2.0T will not have 205bhp, some may have slightly more BHP and others less. So this may be why the figure varies from what you saw listed in the dealership and what you actually get in your garage, in keeping with real life.

As for it changing between your garage/detailed view though I'm at a loss to explain that, the only other way the BHP should change is through general use or tuning parts.
 
new oil needed? i change my oil straight away when getting a new car dont know what junk they give you... all i know is fresh oil gave my race car about 50hp and the oil from the dealership appeared clean............ and i believe the garage will show your current horsepower where as the tuning screen shows your engines max power, your egines lose power, over time
 
The reason for this - which has been the same in every GT game - is that the output of an engine changes as it is run-in. Engines reach their peak output at (I think) 2,000 miles. Have a look in your car's manual, it tells you the same thing.
 
Actually. The first and foremost reason for the discrepancy is that manufacturer-claimed hp is basically that: Claimed HP. It's whatever the manufacturer puts into their marketing literature, whether it's true or not.

The power you have in the garage is actual HP. This is most noticeable with Japanese cars, wherein many older ones will have a Claimed HP of about 276 hp, but the actual HP will be somewhere between 276 - 330 hp. But it does happen with all manufacturers. The power you gain as the engine "breaks in" and when you change the oil is just icing on the cake.

You know... I seem to remember a thread about this in this section... I even posted in it... but I can't find it via search, either... that's rather odd.
 
Back