Big Blue at Tokyo R246 Enduro - The Write-up

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 19 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
In my compendium I ran The Tokyo R246 Enduro in Big Blue, the Calsonic Skyline JGTC car. The stock power was not enough for me to keep up with the AI. So I ended up going with a Stage 1 Turbo and flogged the competition. The 2nd place car was 4 laps down.

Here I’m going to attempt it in Stock Set-up. I already know that I’ve got to run in the low 1’40 range for an average lap, and peaking the car at 1’37 lap times.

Hopefully I won’t waste 2 hours 40 minutes running this one down.

And to top it all off, I’m been given an informal challenge ;) to run faster than 167’43.824.

I did qualify but only to check and see if I had my gearing set up correctly. I manage the pole by about 2/10ths of a second.

The Grid looks like this:
Calsonic Skyline (me)
Castrol Mugen NSX
Raybrig NSX
Denso Sard Supra
Loctite Zexel
Pennzoil Nismo

And They’re off!

Just like UB57’s write-up, I had a good battle for 1st place right up until the AI pitted. At that point I just tip-toed away from the group. As I approached lap 16 I noticed that my tires were beginning to turn orange. Nervousness set in as I was hoping they’d make it to lap 20. If not, any advantage I would have gained on UB would have been lost when faced with an extra pitstop. Much to my relief, they lasted until lap 20. In fact, I’d speculate that they might last 25 which would be the next pit schedule to aim for. In the time that the tires were shifting from yellow to orange, I did not notice any significant drop in time or cornering ability. My fast lap to date is 1’36.637. Most of my laps have been in the 1’37 range, which means I’m on target to beat UB57’s time!

Then Pennzoil went one lap down on lap 25. The Loctite fell one lap down on lap 26. I don’t even recall passing the Castrol NSX, but the Denso fell a lap down on lap 33. On lap 35 the Raybrig was insight and I was gaining fast.

When I started this race, I had 60+ miles on the car. I know the length of the race is 318 miles. Which means each lap is about 3 miles. So...I’m on lap 36, putting me just over 100 miles driven. Add in the 60 previous miles, and I’m getting close to my oil light. (which kicked on during lap 65)

I set my fast lap on lap 33 – 1’35.473.

The Raybrig finally succumbed to my speed on lap 38. On lap 41, the Loctite and the Pennzoil both dropped down another lap. However, they were able to unlap themselves as I pitted on lap 41. Small boo-boo there in that I forgot to pit on lap 40.

To my surprise, the Loctite pitted, and it was actually the Pennzoil who went back up a lap, as well as the Denso coming back onto the lead lap. Although I caught him by the time we reached the big 180, and I passed himi on that short straight before the next left. So he dropped back off the lead lap within 40 seconds.

I was worried about how my oil degredation would affect my performance, when to my surprise, I turned in a 1’35.737 on lap 70. For the most part, I was in the 1'37 range on most laps.

the Finish line
Ugh!!!! 100 laps done and done!

Results:
Me: 164’08.354
Denso Sard: + 2 laps
Castrol Mugen: + 2 laps
Raybrig: + 2 laps
Loctite: + 4 laps
Pennzoil: + 4 laps

Best Lap: 1'35.473
Average lap: 1'38.484

400,000cr to the kitty, and a C-west Razo Silvia in the Garage.

Boo Yah!

Tag you’re it UB57!

And these are my settings:
379.2 miles! 452 Hp at the end.

Suspension:
13.5/15.4
52/62
5/6
9/10
3.6/1.8
0.5/-0.5
4/4

Brakes: 18/21

LSD: 8/23/16

Gears:

FD: 3.335
Auto Set: Level 33
Down Force: 1.00/1.14
ASM = 0; TCS = 1

AO

Wow! Almost 4 minutes faster than my time in the Jag. Excellent work, DA! I did have to pit 5 times but that doesn't explain much of the difference... well driven!

Originally posted by neon_duke
Wow! Almost 4 minutes faster than my time in the Jag. Excellent work, DA! I did have to pit 5 times but that doesn't explain much of the difference... well driven!

DON'T FEEL BAD DUKE: Der Alta did it in a car that has BRAKES !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...UB57
:D

I had the car set-up very nice and as a result I could run wide open through most of the track. The unfortunate side effect, is that my thumb is quite sore today.

Thanks guys! I have a feeling I accomplished something with this run. Of course the 600 miles I've already run on this course in teh past two weeks certainly helped.

AO

Hey! I did that race today in my zexel gt-R. I have stage 4 turbo and finished in 1:56.861 my quikest lap was a 1.29:450, now i knoe i had 3 turbo stages on u but im not as good so i thought it was ok. My thumb really hurt by the end tho. lol

I actually sat down today and tested 11 different cars for this one. I talked to Bob. And after some deliberation I know that the Viper, C5R, Spoon S2000 LM, and Panoz Esperante, are way too much car for this one. I did 11 laps in the S2000LM at as won HP an was well over 30 sec up.
Dropping down the Scale I have narrowed it down to the C-West Razo Silvia, The Vertigo, or perhaps the Subaru LM. I won't get to this before Thursday nite. I figure that the Silvia will be the most "interesting" to drive. Fully modded, she will turn 1:37's.
I refuse to give in to the "dark-side" and use the Vertigo.:D
I'm not looking forward to spending 100 laps in any car.:eek:

Gil, I fear you may have a field day with the Silvia. Recenlty ahving run this car around Tokyo for a few laps it compares (in stock form) to the Jag Race car. Neon_Duke ran this race in the Jag the other day, and easily won.

I think that in full blown form the Silvia will be overkill. I'm quite interested to hear how your race turns out. I've slated aside 3 hours this coming weekend to go back and shave another minute+ off my time, if the tendons in my thumb can handle it.

AO

Originally posted by Der Alta
Gil, I fear you may have a field day with the Silvia. Recenlty ahving run this car around Tokyo for a few laps it compares (in stock form) to the Jag Race car. Neon_Duke ran this race in the Jag the other day, and easily won.

I think that in full blown form the Silvia will be overkill. I'm quite interested to hear how your race turns out. I've slated aside 3 hours this coming weekend to go back and shave another minute+ off my time, if the tendons in my thumb can handle it.

AO
I'm fairly sure that I can win in the Silvia. If not on top end, on pit strategy. I may try it at Stage 2. Depends on how bold I'm feeling.
*edit*
I just had a bold thought, no doubt brought on by the "rice always prevails" thread.
What do you think about running the GT-40 road car in this?
Not fully modded , but definitely buff/beast enough to be competitive. I figure that the race version would be mega-overkill.

Originally posted by Gil
What do you think about running the GT-40 road car in this?
Not fully modded , but definitely buff/beast enough to be competitive. I figure that the race version would be mega-overkill.

Hey Gil : Got a Viper Concept that you've won just sittin' in your garage??? This is the perfect place to run it. You'll probably face 3 other FRs & can show 'em what some USA Muscle is all about. (The only thing from the USA in the GT40 was the engine block as I remember. It was really a splendid effort done by Ford's UK guys.) JMO: ...UB57

Originally posted by UB57
Hey Gil : Got a Viper Concept that you've won just sittin' in your garage??? This is the perfect place to run it. You'll probably face 3 other FRs & can show 'em what some USA Muscle is all about. (The only thing from the USA in the GT40 was the engine block as I remember. It was really a splendid effort done by Ford's UK guys.) JMO: ...UB57
But no rice, or linguine. Henry was rather annoyed when Enzo wouldn't sell. I figure the small block street car might make for a more interesting race than the big block racer.
I may have a Viper Concept languishing in one of my garages.
I can't remember if I've done anything to it.
I have to keep pushing my attempt back. My wife expects me to go with her and my son to his orientation for Mid-America Nazarene University on Friday. And as he is the first to venture out of the nest, and my best bud, I'll be there for him. But I have a 5-day off stretch coming up...of which, I've only promised two days to folks.

Both of the cars are in the running. The GT40 with 491 HP is able to run 1'38's all day and with the set-up I'm running it's rock stable.
The Viper Concept is very hearty also. I ran it near stock. It turned 1'40.xxx on the first lap.
I also tried the Clio racer. With the Stage 2 turbo it's running about 1'41. It is also rock-steady.
I have one more car to test before I decide.
I have never cogitated and agitated so long over a race/car combination.
I may end up in the car I plan to test next/last. Let me start off by saying that I pretty much despise the car. I've never felt fast in it. But I want to see if it has any saving graces, before I sell it for the 245,000cr.
I'll start a new thread for it if it makes the cut.

Originally posted by LanEvo
i wanna try this race tomorrow in the tom's supra :P
Hi LanEvo :
:D Good Choice! Run it WITHOUT HP upgrades however or you'll run off & hide from the field. Let us know how you do...UB57

im doing the grand valley 300 right now in a rx-7 lm...i can do this track in my sleep :cool: i remember doing this endurance more than a few times on GT1 in my GTO :embarrassed:

Well, I took my last attempt at this in Big Blue. In another few months I'll come back and give it a run, but the tendons in my thumb are pretty well beaten up.

So without further adue, here's the story:
Same Settings other than twekaing out the gears to get a bit more acceleration when at higher speeds. The suspension, LSD and brakes felt like they were spot on, so I wasn't planning on editing them anymore.

And I unfortunately forgot to write them down.

In this attempt, I changed my pit strategy. With the math I did while running (3 seconds slower for 5 laps = 15 seconds vs. a 28 second pitstop) I figured that I'd improve my overall time. My mistake wsa that I forgot that I would pit 3 times. So in essencve, I lost 3 seconds on 15 laps instead of 5 laps. So that amounted to 45 seconds vs. a 28 second pit stop. That 30 seconds would haunt my dreams that evening.

So... Final results:
Raybrig NSX: + 2 laps
Arta NSX:: + 3 laps
Castrol Tom's Supra: + 3 laps
Calsonic Skyline: + 4 laps
Loctite Zexel: + 4 laps

Best Lap: 1'35.551 (slower than the previous run)
Average lap: 1'38.347 (slightly faster = Practice)

Total time: 163'54.711

Had I come up with that 30 seconds from the pitstops and run a few smoother laps, I would have bumped myself into 162 range which was my target.

Well, we'll check back in on this in a few months But for now, I've been pretty well smacked by the gauntlet that was thrown down. ;)

And LanEvo, i'd be interesteed to hear how well you did in the Tom's Supra.

AO

i havn't got around to it till now. i'll go ahead and start ;)

(this will be my 3rd endurance race whithin 3 days)

the car is COMPLETELY un-tinkered with, and at 0 miles. i put super-slicks on it for the race...im on lap 37 and my best lap so far is a 1'37.130. the Denso supra is about 30 secs behind me..so next time i pit he'll zoom up again. its a pretty close race so far ;)

Back