Biggest let down of all time...or is it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RR_BodyRollin
  • 5 comments
  • 1,095 views
Messages
11
Messages
RR_BodyRollin
Ok so having played the game since its release, I feel like I can give an honest review of the game as I feel about it. First off let me say that of all the games that have been released for the current generation gaming systems, this was by far the one release that inwas anticipating most...so granted with that much anticipation it is natural that there will be some disappointment because of expectations maybe being too high. I have to say that 24 hours after imfirst got the game I was ready to throw it out the window. It was so much of a let down in terms of physics and drivability lack of eye candy (which I can honestly live without but it would be nice to have a few more paint options and rim size options and stuff like that) etc...I was done with the game.

One day off for the stuff your face in honor of all the starving people in a country that you couldn't care less or know less about day...AKA thanksgiving, and I decided to give it another shot. So I pull out the old logitec driving force pro, thinking I may as well be pissing in the wind because any sim game I have played to this point has been worse when using the wheel. Hook up the wheel, get it sorted out and got started...

Storm clouds parted, sun came out, birds began to sing, and suddenly everything was right in the GT world...this game should come with a wheel period. Much like how you cand play rockband without the instruments you should have to have a wheel to be able to play this game. Older versions of GT and current versions of forza do a good job of adapting the game to be played with a controller, gt5 does not. It makes no concessions and much like a real car you have to drive with the wheel.

It's still missing some things like customization options and the shadows are hideous, and it's missing leaderboards, but as for a core racing game it has solid foundations and judging by their near instantaneous response through updates to fix early problems has a promising future as long as they continue to listen to the community and address problems that arise.
 
Amen to that. This game _needs_ a wheel, it feels truly incredible with one. Sadly, the RRP for this game should be £120 minimum, £40 for the disk and £80 for a DFGT.

I can't help but feel most people that are disappointed are playing with their trusty DS3's.

Got GT5? Then get yourself a wheel :D
 
pffff, I am slightly aggreived by its obvious flaws but if its anyones biggest gaming disappointment then your either very young or not played many games

try Far Cry - the game engine to end all game engines - poor game
Black and White - will change gaming forever - no it didnt
Kick Off 3 - take a seminal football game and ruin the whole thing
Sonic 3D -great franchise butchered overnight

GT5 is astoundingly good in comparison, and in a few patches might just be astoundingly goood fulll stop!
 
Handles fine on a DS3, don't know what people are moaning about. It's just half finished, buggy and not particularly good. Physics are good, graphics are passable with some exceptions but the implementation of the Nascar and WRC licences is terrible, design choices are bizarre (Renault clio V6 premium - why the phase 1 and not the massively improved phase 2?) and there are errors everywhere you look, features that have a base in either a half executed idea or are maybe going to be DLC, ill written or just plain wrong car descriptions (Clio V6 again, premium model is a phase 1 listed at 229 BHP, go to mods and it has 241 BHP, suggesting it is a phase 2), a sprawling bugger of a menu system, the ridiculous used car market, limited tuning and modding (I have a friend with a Civic we built in his shed that runs a 500hp turbo LS block. Can't do that in the real driving simulator apparently. But I can do it on the far 'inferior' Forza. Also met a chap at a RWYB event with a 600hp Silvia. Odd, I seem to only be able to get 390 out of my GT5 Silvia). The list goes on.

I remember reading somewhere that PD worked on the incar interface on the Nissan GTR. Judging by the state of the interface of GT5 that's a real good reason never to buy one. :dopey:
 
The game is great for it's value. The let down is the number of folks who seem to whine about every single aspect of the game and the fact that GTplanet seems to attract all of them.
 
Back