Bike Experts, some buying tips (Real).

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 21 comments

McLaren

Premium
United States
Texas
My appologies mods if this is most likely in the wrong section. I just decided to post here since most of the site's Bike experts seem to be on this part of this site.

After talking to my friend Dave, he reminded me of the fun you can have with a motorcycle. I did have a bike some years ago, but I'd rather not discuss it.

Anyways, here's my question.
I expect 1 or 2 of my cars to be gone in a year, and since Dave reinstored my love of bikes, I'd like to know what kind of bike to get.

I'll admit it, I'm a Ducati fanatic....And as much as I like a 999 model, they're are just way too expensive new.
Dave pointed out the 998, and 748 which look really good as well as the Yamaha R1 models.

So, guys, can you please give me some suggestions for Crotch Rockets? Price isn't that big of an issue (well, let's keep it $25K and under).

Thanks for any and all help.:)

Depends on what your needs are.

Do you want a super fast Japanese rocket? Supersports? Italian bike? Sport tourer....naked, custom etc.

For starters, what you used to do and what you can do now are going to be different. Reintroduce yourself to the MSF course for starters and I suggest wasting a few grand on a small "disposable" bike to get your act together again. EX250 or EX500 make excellent beginner bikes and because they dont have tire shredding torque at will, they'll be most forgiving while you relearn your techniques. Moreover, the resale is pretty good on these bikes, here atleast. I dont know about MonteCarlo. Dont let your pride get in the way of your safety and wallet. A modern 600cc sport bike makes more power than a small car... They DO NOT make good beginner bikes or bikes for relearning on. Of course, some knucklehead with more dollars than sense will tell you otherwise.

Personally, I'd be all over the Ducati Monster S4Rs Testastretta if I could afford it.

Lightfighter
For starters, what you used to do and what you can do now are going to be different. Reintroduce yourself to the MSF course for starters and I suggest wasting a few grand on a small "disposable" bike to get your act together again. EX250 or EX500 make excellent beginner bikes and because they dont have tire shredding torque at will, they'll be most forgiving while you relearn your techniques. Moreover, the resale is pretty good on these bikes, here atleast. I dont know about MonteCarlo. Dont let your pride get in the way of your safety and wallet. A modern 600cc sport bike makes more power than a small car... They DO NOT make good beginner bikes or bikes for relearning on. Of course, some knucklehead with more dollars than sense will tell you otherwise.

Personally, I'd be all over the Ducati Monster S4Rs Testastretta if I could afford it.
I'll be looking at them in the states. Bikes aren't really too common in this area.

Safety is my top priority. I was stupid in the past, and just stuck to wearing a helmet. I learned my lesson after that.
:crazy:

I'll be trying to contact an owner from ICFest '05 who owned a Ducati 998, to see what's it like. I still have my license for bikes, but I'll most definately be returning to a school. It's been over 3 years since I've been a bike.

@TS: I'm just generally looking at sport bikes from anywhere. I'm so used to cars that I know I'm underestimating 90Hp in a bike.:indiff:

I spent a bit of time on the 996 McLaren and although it's an amazing sports bike I couldn't have it as my only bike in the garage. At city speeds it's uncomfortable and a pig to get round round-a-bouts and tight corners. Highway riding sees sore wrists and lowre back pain but once you hit the twisties it's found it's home. The pain suddenly leaves your back and wrists and you realise what all the fuss is about. Pick a line and it holds it beautifully riding the front brakes all the way to the apex and not even a sign of it wanting to stand up. The gearing I found a little high but any lower and it might turn into a wheelie machine.

I don't know what you've ridden before McClaren but this sort of bike is a serious bit of kit:scared: and bikes aren't cars. This sort of bike has the performance that is only matched in the car world when you start looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars. And then the rice burners are twice as mental.:nervous:

Gain the skills on something less intimidating and that way you won't be another latte sipping **** with big chicken strip girly rings out the front of the local cafe.:)

Krack
I spent a bit of time on the 996 McLaren and although it's an amazing sports bike I couldn't have it as my only bike in the garage. At city speeds it's uncomfortable and a pig to get round round-a-bouts and tight corners. Highway riding sees sore wrists and lowre back pain but once you hit the twisties it's found it's home. The pain suddenly leaves your back and wrists and you realise what all the fuss is about. Pick a line and it holds it beautifully riding the front brakes all the way to the apex and not even a sign of it wanting to stand up. The gearing I found a little high but any lower and it might turn into a wheelie machine.

I don't know what you've ridden before McClaren but this sort of bike is a serious bit of kit:scared: and bikes aren't cars. This sort of bike has the performance that is only matched in the car world when you start looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars. And then the rice burners are twice as mental.:nervous:

Gain the skills on something less intimidating and that way you won't be another latte sipping **** with big chicken strip girly rings out the front of the local cafe.:)
Thanks for the info, Krack.:) 👍

@Dave: Sure, and when I do, I'll come and get ya.:D

*McLaren*
Thanks for the info, Krack.:) 👍

@Dave: Sure, and when I do, I'll come and get ya.:D

I'll be sure to get some extra tires :)

I'm leaning towards an SV650 for myself. Seems to be a good mix of in-town commuting and backroads blasting in an affordable (both to buy and insure) package and one that won't overwhelm a novice rider, nor will I wish I had a faster bike immediately after finishing my MSF (equivalent) course.

As for the Ducati's, I'd go for the basic 748/996/998 as the real difference between the S and basic versions is suspension upgrades, which while important, the basic models are by no means bottom of the barrel pieces, then if you find you need more adjustability in your suspension upgrade the components seperately at prices of your own chosing (a fully adjustable top of the line shock can cost 7k+, I think). I probably should have said that the other night.

Also, the sound ...........

Could go down the Buell route, amazing handling, and has a Harley motor so stacks of Torque and lots of tune up parts should you want it.

Check out the Buell Firebolt XB12R

Had a brief stint on a XB12s. Ran out of revs very quickly. More of a novelty bike than a keeper IMO. Then I'm more use to screaming fours.

BiIg_Ham
Could go down the Buell route, amazing handling, and has a Harley motor so stacks of Torque and lots of tune up parts should you want it.

Check out the Buell Firebolt XB12R

Buell's reputation for poor quality hurt them a lot in the past years, but the Thunder series, improved quality, and some interesting ideas (perimeter rotors, fuel in the frame) have started people (back) to the H-D dealerships to look at Buell.

I should also add, that Honda's Super Hawk 1000 is a v-twin that was about as fast as a CB 600 F4, and was available for years with almost no changes, yet they never sold well making them a steal on the showroom for new (older year, but never ridden) bikes.

Buell and Honda, heh?
I'll take a look at them.

I'm also gonna guess that Honda's reliability in bikes is just as good as the cars?:sly:
In the end, if I do buy a sportsbike (after training), it'll probably be one of these $8,000-$12,000 bikes. They offer a lot of performance compared to Ducatis which appear to just be like a Ferrari. Good power, high price, yet so much cheaper for better performance.

BTW Dave, I looked up my insurance quote for a 999R. It's gonna have to be a few years. :eek:

Krack
Had a brief stint on a XB12s. Ran out of revs very quickly. More of a novelty bike than a keeper IMO. Then I'm more use to screaming fours.

It's a Harley motor they don't like revs lol. Tune it up then... Big Valve heads, full race system etc.

Note buells also rim mounted discs now to allow lighter front wheels along with the fuel in frame oil in swingarm stuff.

*McLaren*
Buell and Honda, heh?
I'll take a look at them.

I'm also gonna guess that Honda's reliability in bikes is just as good as the cars?:sly:
In the end, if I do buy a sportsbike (after training), it'll probably be one of these $8,000-$12,000 bikes. They offer a lot of performance compared to Ducatis which appear to just be like a Ferrari. Good power, high price, yet so much cheaper for better performance.

BTW Dave, I looked up my insurance quote for a 999R. It's gonna have to be a few years. :eek:

Go for the 748/749 then ;) I quoted myself online just now for an '05 749R, with no collision and no specified perils I'm looking at 11,000 CDN/year.

All else equal for a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and it's only a few hundred cheaper.

No sportbikes for me :(

If you get a 749 make sure you get a full dealer service history. The 749 engines are more fragile than 999 engines because they rev higher.

dbartucci
Go for the 748/749 then ;) I quoted myself online just now for an '05 749R, with no collision and no specified perils I'm looking at 11,000 CDN/year.

All else equal for a Suzuki GSX-R 750 and it's only a few hundred cheaper.

No sportbikes for me :(
I didn't print mine out, so I don't remember.

My 16 year old cousin did a qoute and it costed him $13K a year! :lol:
BTW, what 99(x) bike was built in 2000? It seems a 6 year old bike is $5K cheaper.

At BiIg: I'll be sure to do that.

PoliniJake
The 996 was bought into production in 1999, and carried through to i think 2001/2 when the 998 was released.
The 996 is probably what I should be looking at then.
Thanks. 👍

Back