Birthday coming up - what driving game???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Birdseed007
  • 19 comments
  • 1,182 views
Messages
13
England
West Sussex, UK
Messages
Birdseed007
I already have GT6 and enjoy playing it on my wheel and pedals etc. It's my birthday next weekend and I quite fancy trying another driving game on PS3 so just wanted to know what you folks recommend??

My current shortlist is:

F1 2013
WRC4
Dirt 3

If you had to choose between those which would you have?? It is possible I might get lucky and bag an F1 game and a rally game so if you had to choose between the two rally games which would you go for??

Thanks,

Birdseed007
 
I found Dirt 3 unplayable with my wheel (T500RS), but it may be ok with the DFGT (it didn't work in 900 degree mode and only turned a tiny amount) it also didn't have any low frequency audio content so no rumble / buttkicker effects.

I haven't tried the other two games. I tried a Need For Speed game, but it didn't have cockpit view so I only played it a couple of times.
 
Haven't played the rally games. But I did get F1 2013 last weekend and so far I like it. If you are a F1 fan, I would recommend it.
 
I really enjoy Dirt3 with DFGT

I would opt for a rally type of game ... but don't know anything about WRC4

Formula One .... lost my interest in that as it is not as diverse as a rally game ...
In rally you have ice, snow, rain, sand, gravel and tarmac ....
In F1 you just have Tarmac ...

but its really up to your interests ... enjoy!
 
I've had lots of fun with the F1 games but more fun with the Dirt series (and the previous Colin Mcrae games of course). Only played a Demo of WRC and hated it. I'd go Dirt3 but don't expect the level of detail you'll get with F1 or GT. It's not as advanced but it should put a big smile on your face. The online rally-cross racing can be loads of fun too.
 
Brilliant feedback and really appreciate you all throwing in suggestions. The news about Dirt3 and T500RS is a bit worrying because that wheel is very much in my plans - although I guess I could go for the PC version and run on my Alienware M17R2 if it would run smoothly on an Core I7 ATI Mobility radeon 5870 - interesting how much cheaper and supposedly better the PC versions of both Dirt 3 and F1 are supposed to be according to the reviews which presents a bit of a dilemma. I love the plug and go nature of the PS3 but on the other hand for example the F1 2013 game is £7.50 on PC and £20 on PS3 at Amazon and is supposed to be better...

By the way Mustangmiha that is quite simply the best avatar ever to grace a gaming forum - so is that you standing in an aircraft hangar next to a P51 Mustang??

Need to make my mind up soon!

Birdseed007
 
GTA5.

You can drive cars and shoot stuff. :D
Whilst fun at times the amount of screaming children on that game make it somewhat of a trial.

Brilliant feedback and really appreciate you all throwing in suggestions. The news about Dirt3 and T500RS is a bit worrying because that wheel is very much in my plans - although I guess I could go for the PC version and run on my Alienware M17R2 if it would run smoothly on an Core I7 ATI Mobility radeon 5870 - interesting how much cheaper and supposedly better the PC versions of both Dirt 3 and F1 are supposed to be according to the reviews which presents a bit of a dilemma. I love the plug and go nature of the PS3 but on the other hand for example the F1 2013 game is £7.50 on PC and £20 on PS3 at Amazon and is supposed to be better...
Can't comment on the PC side of things as I had all my Dirty fun on PS3. A friend had a DFGT wheel for his PS3 (for F1, Dirt, GT & NFS) and said he loved it if that's any help.

By the way Mustangmiha that is quite simply the best avatar ever to grace a gaming forum - so is that you standing in an aircraft hangar next to a P51 Mustang??
:rolleyes: :lol: ..he's a pilot Miha...a PILOT. :D
 
i think dirt 2 was better than 3 but they were both fun, i wouldn't think they are good wheel setup games though. only tried a demo of the newer f1's, not bad not great, more wheel friendly though for sure.
 
A PS4 and Drive Club.
Drive Club looks amazing. Out in a month or so if certain deleted tweets from the developer are anything to go by... Think that's the game where you seem to have all of America as your sandbox.
 
Drive Club looks amazing. Out in a month or so if certain deleted tweets from the developer are anything to go by... Think that's the game where you seem to have all of America as your sandbox.

Maybe I'll purchase a second game for the PS3 then.

What was the name of the PC game about 10 years ago that was sprint cars only?

That was a very good game, as simulations go.

I remember the old 3DO from, was it 20 years ago? The first game I played on it was Need for Speed.
 
Having looked at some more videos of Drive Club I think I've mixed it up with another game as far as the America as your sandbox thing goes. I can't find the footage a friend showed me the other day. It does look amazing though.

The game I think I'm getting mixed up with involved equipping your car with race or off-road parts depending on where you're heading, almost in real time. One minute you're batting down an interstate in street legal spec, the next you're equipping it with off-road tyres, bull bars and rally suspension and heading down dirt tracks. :boggled: :confused: If anyone knows which game this is that'd be great.

Project Cars is worth considering if we're suggesting games outside OP's short list and on next gen consoles. It'll be on PC too.

@SmileyOr Drive Club is for PS4 from what I've seen. As is the other game I'm having trouble recalling (assuming that isn't actually Drive Club).

I think you have some years on me gaming-wise and I've always been mostly a console gamer. I think Sega Rally, F1 '96 and Need for Speed: Hot pursuit were the first driving games I remember owning and it's pretty much been GT ever since. GT being the closet I've come to simulation.

Edit: Thank you @Anomaly . I took so long typing that I hadn't noticed you'd cleared that up.
 
Last edited:
Back to topic please - @Birdseed007 did say he'd fancy trying another driving game on his PS3


My few pence worth...

Firstly I haven't tried any of the F1 games - just a bit to frantic, and those screaming engine sounds! :mischievous:
I did try a brief demo of WRC game and it wasn't bad

But I've have Dirt 1, 2 and 3 and found them all enjoyable. The physics are not at GT6 levels - but then again they are not supposed to be. They are great for a quick blast that brings a smile to your face. A bit less "sterile" than the GT series (don't get me wrong, I like these also).
I also quite like the Grid series. Again not serous racers but fun none the less.

As for wheel support - the codemasters games have considerably more wheel/FFB options than the 1 GT gives you! Various dead zones, various FFB levels etc. Once set to how you like them I think the feel is as good as if not better than GT - on my DFGT/G27 anyway.

You might be interested...
F1 2013 - PS store trial version available.
Grid 2 - PS store trial version available.

Dirt 3 - Available on PS store. It was on sale - not sure how much it is now.
The WRC games are also available on the store - not sure about trial versions though.
NFS Most Wanted for £10.99 is also a blast for short periods.
 
Back to topic please - @Birdseed007 did say he'd fancy trying another driving game on his PS3

Fair point. Grid 2 (and Grid, but it's a bit old now) are very good. I've had lots of fun with them and 2 is a damn site more challenging than a lot of GT6 if you turn the difficulty up. I like the F1 games but they're just not as fun.

The Colin Mcrae series, and later Dirt, has always been my off-road fix so I still recommend Dirt 3.
 
Last edited:
I've had lots of fun with them and 2 is a damn site more challenging than GT6 if you turn the difficulty up.

That's right. I forgot to add that the AI cars do give the impression that they actually want to beat you in the Grid/Dirt games. ;)
 
Can vouch for dirt3, loads of fun for a blast on the dfgt.

Lots of variety and great if you like sliding about in 4wd cars.
 
First pick, Grid 2. Very tough AI, nice mix between sim and arcade. I`m surprised this is not on your list.

Dirt 3. Also very special, super good weather system, a lot of snow races.

Conclusion: buy them both, i know you can afford it.
 
Back