Birthday present for the most important women in your life?

  • Thread starter Thread starter -Fred-
  • 12 comments
  • 458 views

-Fred-

This is a custom title
Staff Emeritus
Messages
25,573
Canada
Somewhere.
here's the deal... totally forgot about my mom's birthday, which is tomorrow. I don't have any present for her as of right now, so a quick shopping escapade tomorrow afternoon is in the plans...

but what to offer her? flowers are too classic, and i don't know which kind she prefers. she's allergic to nuts, so chocolate is out of the question too.

I'm really confused, and i thought i could ask you always brilliant guys (and gals, of course!) for some help ;)
 
i forgot my old ladies birthday this year too so i made a trip the next day to see her and took her to the beach. we a few drinks over lunch and then sat under a tree and talked like we had never talked before.

i guess taking your mum to the beach is out of the question in canada but try and take her somewhere or do something out of the ordinary.

good luck mate :)
 
Well, most mothers dont really dig material possessions, especially from their son.

What your mother and almost every mother wants is for her to feel like she is a part of your life.

Do what (Mr Mystery) suggested and take her for an experience rather than offer her some crappy gift. Unless your mother is one of those types that is always trying to prove that you don't love her, then she might use the fact that you didnt get her a gift against you.

PS, I used to live in Victoria British Columbia Canada for about 2 years. There are plenty of beaches and I spent alot of time at them
 
Well whenever people ask questions like this, they never specify the budget, so here are some alternatives, but none of them are particularly cheap:

1. Day at health club - Mothers tend not to get much time to themselves, so a day being pampered at a health club should be really nice.

2. Trip in a hot air balloon - something quiet and relaxing but amazing at the same time. Make sure she can take someone with her, this could be you or your Dad, or whomever she wants.

3. Membership or subscription - if there's an activity she likes that has a club or a magazine, then sign her up for that.

As 12 Sec Civic says, mothers aren't all that fussed about possessions, and will usually try to divert resources to the household or the children (hence vouchers or cash are out of the question), so you need to give her something which will enable her to be selfish without the guilt.

Good luck!
 
Best thing I did for my mother was this - I told her a month in advance that I was taking the day off, and that I and the car were completely at her disposal for the whole day, prior to me taking her out for dinner.

After much planning on her part, we visited a host of distant cousins and other relatives she'd been meaning to catch up with for years - I forget how many people we dropped in on, would have been well over 10 - and not short local distances either.

From that day she re-established quite a few friendships and lost contacts.

I made a big deal out of it, got the car professionally cleaned, wore a suit, played all her favourite music (that took about three straight days of Radiohead and Nirvana to get over!) and stocked the car with nibblies and such. She had a great time.
 
My mom's B-day was last Sunday, here's what we did:

Me and my dad went into the Hallmark store, got good cards, and then went over to the crystal display. My mom loves cats, so we get a lot of these cat crystal thingys. Only problem? We've gotten all of the cat ones already! But I was able to find this crystal/18K gold pennant, really nice, and she loved it. We also took her out to dinner twice, Saturday with my dad's parents, and Sunday with her mom. Exellent food from both places. She loved it. Her 50th B-day too, or as my dad said, "We're both half century" lol.

Her sis sent her this card and brochure for a spa place, she's gonna go sometime soon.
 
Giles Health club suggestion is great. The trick is to get something that she will have to use, and without guilt.

Getting her nails done, and her hair done. Find her favorite salon, and tell the lady behind the counter, you're getting a gift for your mother, and "what do I need to do to send her here, and have done to make her friends jealous".

The best gift you can give her is something for her to brag about.

Picture this: My and two friends having coffee.
Friend One "Wow, your hair looks great!"
Friend Two "wow, your nails are fantastic"

Mom "Yes, for my birthday, my son gave me a trip to the salon, and a pedicure as a birthday gift. All expense paid, he even took me out to dinner afterwards."

AO
 
It's nice to start the day with such a family oriented and giving thread. My mom's birthday is in about three weeks. But she is 1900 miles away and will probably be in the hospital recovering from surgery. I don't know what to do.
 
the Health Club's a great idea guys! she's going to be so happy with that, i'm sure!

the Hot Air Balloon would have been a good idea, but it's a bit cold outside with that snow... :p
 
Originally posted by vat_man
Best thing I did for my mother was this - I told her a month in advance that I was taking the day off, and that I and the car were completely at her disposal for the whole day, prior to me taking her out for dinner.

After much planning on her part, we visited a host of distant cousins and other relatives she'd been meaning to catch up with for years - I forget how many people we dropped in on, would have been well over 10 - and not short local distances either.

From that day she re-established quite a few friendships and lost contacts.

I made a big deal out of it, got the car professionally cleaned, wore a suit, played all her favourite music (that took about three straight days of Radiohead and Nirvana to get over!) and stocked the car with nibblies and such. She had a great time.

This is absolutely brilliant, vat_man. Brilliance, I say! Whenever a parent's birthday used to roll around, I'd just hop on a plane to Guam (the other parent would pay for it :D) and "surprise" them. After about twelve or thirteen times doing this, though, the surprise wore thin, so now we fly them to Denver where most of our family is for Christmas and just send a card for birthdays. :)
 
I had a wrong thought about what you said. To me the most important woman in my life is a girl I like... but well... if you are talking about your mother...
 
Originally posted by Tercel_driver
I had a wrong thought about what you said. To me the most important woman in my life is a girl I like... but well... if you are talking about your mother...

How could any woman be more important than the one who gave birth to you?
 
Originally posted by milefile


How could any woman be more important than the one who gave birth to you?


there's always the woman that gave birth to the woman that gave birth to you? :)

she really appreciated the gift, thank you guys! :D
 
Back