Bizarro World... Complete Opposite From Us!

• Thread starter NSX-R
  • 10 comments
I honestly never thought that GT4 or GT3 was too realistic, never could put my finger on it, i dont understand why they claim it as the real driving simulator, especially when ASM and TCS are on by default, even in late 70's cars and etc...

That was a rather entertaining read. I think this generally sums up the problems ppl have with Enthusia:

The thing that really got me though was the blown driving physics. The AI cars drive as if on rails, and my car is sliding around with what feels like a sheet of ice underneath.
They do have some interesting courses, but none are very long (the ones I have seen anyway) I don't know if there are longer courses as I have not yet started the "life" mode of the game. Car selection starting out is VERY limited (which can be okay), but they offer cars in the rally race that should sink in the sand.
The VGS....I don't see how its useful to know what G-forces are playing on me...the tire traction thingy could be useful though, but since I'm a stubborn old broad anyway, I'm not changing my driving style to suit a little cutsey thing anyway!

I believe that most of us here can attest to the fact that Enthusia immerses you in a different way of thinking about sims- that not all sims are going to be alike and your style of 'gameplay' must change. I remember my 1st go at Enthusia and I had the same mindset- its practically like all the other race sims out there.

And quite frankly, after constantly being battered like a stepchild, it beat that "BS assessment" out of me. But on a grander note, has anyone else noticed that their skills improved in other sims after having a firm grasp on the physics of Enthusia?

I think we need a motto for this game- which the reviewers missed. "Enthusia is a sim that trains its players in the dynamics of driving"

Edit: Geez Wolfe, laid it on a bit harsh eh? ;)

The only thing about enthusia that gets me, is that if you brake in front of the AI going into a turn or etc, sometimes they just ram you, or from the sides, etc.

Neva2wicked
Geez Wolfe, laid it on a bit harsh eh? ;)

Disliking or hating a game is one thing. Disliking or hating a game for poor reasons is just stupid. :lol: Besides, it was more for the sake of trolling than a serious debate.

I don't even know why I was there...I just felt like joining and checking out the official Playstation forums one day, and then I found that thread. I haven't posted there since...no one knows what they're talking about on that site.

Wolfe, don't mock the afflicted. You wouldn't if the disability was physical, now would you?

Regarding the Cobra (with DFPro): it is a bit of a nightmare with the AI cars getting up yer bum (as they do) and just pushing you into the barrier. What's maddening is that once they get in front, they drive like grannies and slow down at ridiculous moments (black flag).

But anyway, notwithstanding that, I can deal with the throttle control - basically I keep it dead steady or increase really slowly and smoothly if the wheels ain't straight - if you lift at all while cornering the tail starts coming around. Most of that makes sense with a rocket on a roller skate, I suppose. The trouble I have is understanding the breaking behaviour. There's a tendency to just drive off the track if the wheels aren't dead straight or there's an undulation in the road even at low speed (50 mpg). At the left hand bend at the end of the final long Nurburg straight you need to slow down somehow! LOL. Left foot breaking - so the throttle keeps the rear end planted - helps a lot, but surely that shouldn't be a requirement. Otherwise, it's really difficult to avoid a detour into the barrier. Anyone have any thoughts/strategies?

[just a litle joke]
I do! Rent a Cobra, go to Nurburg, arrive at the end of the long straight at more than 200 km/h and try to slam the brakes while the car or at least the front wheels aren't perfectly straight!

:D
[/just a litle joke]

Seriously, I think that in EPR - at least in old cars - you really have to apply these rules when approaching a corner at high sppeds:
1st - brake hard while in a straight line; downshift, downshift, downshift ...
2nd - let go the brakes, turn the wheel and keep your right foot gently pressing the throttle, or kiss the rear good bye
3rd - wait before you have your car in a straight line again before you press the throttle in flat-out mode.

(these rules don't apply if you're a pro-drifter, of course ...)

Hun200kmh
[just a litle joke]
I do! Rent a Cobra, go to Nurburg, arrive at the end of the long straight at more than 200 km/h and try to slam the brakes while the car or at least the front wheels aren't perfectly straight!

:D
[/just a litle joke]

Seriously, I think that in EPR - at least in old cars - you really have to apply these rules when approaching a corner at high sppeds:
1st - brake hard while in a straight line; downshift, downshift, downshift ...
2nd - let go the brakes, turn the wheel and keep your right foot gently pressing the throttle, or kiss the rear good bye
3rd - wait before you have your car in a straight line again before you press the throttle in flat-out mode.

(these rules don't apply if you're a pro-drifter, of course ...)

Quite right and the main culprit here are the tyres.

After a bit of digging I found them, the Cobra runs the following tyre sizes

Front 185 x 15
Rear 195 x 15

The competition version did have slightly bigger tyres fitted (but only 21 were made), and I could not find a site detailing sidewall profile size (but lets be fair its not low profile).

To put this into context my '04 Celica runs 205/45 R17's all around.

The Cobra is massively under speced on its tyres by modern standards, particularly the front end, which are under the most load when braking.

Its no wonder the car wants to head straight on under hard braking.

Regards

Scaff

Well, if it stayed in a straight line, it wouldn't be such a problem. But road undulations were causing it to swerve whenever I was breaking at high speed even if the wheels were straight. Btw, surely you should re-balance the car with the throttle before turning into the corner?!

I've just been experimenting with the Cobra (I used the DS2 for this). Looking at the VGS icon (which I've decided is really useful), it showed that even applying full breaks in a straight line, the max grip of the front tyres weren't exceeded anywhere - not at Speediapolis (170 mph) nor Burgenschlucht (a road surface). What's more it didn't swerve. It turns out then - it surprised me anyway - if you apply 100% breaks, any road undulations are less likely to cause the Cobra to swerve. If you apply breaks gently, you tend to veer off. But isn't it odd that at Victoria Garden for example, at anything above just ~50 mph, if the wheels aren't straight, the tail will start to slide if you break less than about 75%. If you were driving around those streets in RL (say the long left hander after the arch), you'd have to do that in normal traffic. Something's wrong there surely?

One problem, it seems to me, with the steering in these games (EPR and GT4) is that it's too slow. When you get into trouble e.g. with AI cars biffing you about, and need a bit if emergency counter steering you just can't turn the steering fast enough. Watching Tiff Nidell drifting road cars around a track, the steering wheel will run freely through his hands from full lock to full lock in about 0.5 sec. The DFPro is much too slow to even be forced to do that, and of course the DS2 really dampens any fast input. Makes it difficult to catch an extreme slide.

Btw, drifting the Cobra down the Dragon Range is much fun. I'm not sure it isn't easier with the DS2.

Back