Black Friday should be changed to 'Black Fortnight.

England
St helens, merseyside, England.
crazybuttocks198
Crazybuttocks19
Seems this tradition is becoming a joke. Black Friday used to be about having your fill of Turkey and hiking the shops the day after. Now it's absolute consumer 🤬. How does one Friday span across 2 weeks? The UK have jumped upon the bandwagon last few years but offer us crap mostly stuff like end of line products. Look at adverts now and offers are starting from now to end of November.

Seems this tradition is becoming a joke. Black Friday used to be about having your fill of Turkey and hiking the shops the day after. Now it's absolute consumer 🤬. How does one Friday span across 2 weeks? The UK have jumped upon the bandwagon last few years but offer us crap mostly stuff like end of line products. Look at adverts now and offers are starting from now to end of November.
Hyper competition has kicked in. One company or a handful add an extra day or two. The next year more jump on the bandwagon and someone decides to get a leg up and moves it to the prior weekend etc. I never did Black Friday or Boxing Day shopping because I won't fight crowds to save money. For me this is preferred to a single day of madness.

I assume stores are tired of the negative publicity from customers beating each other to death to save 50 bucks on a TV.

I assume stores are tired of the negative publicity from customers beating each other to death to save 50 bucks on a TV.
I thought that they used it for a promo to a WWE event?

Thanksgiving means nothing to anyone anymore. Christmas is creeping into stores earlier and earlier each year and all people care about is that.
You guys should adopt the Canadian version. First Sunday in October. Perfectly splits the end of summer and Black Friday/start of the intense part of the Christmas season.

The black in Black Friday comes from the black hole that devours everything around it (and emits limited energy in the form of cheap offers on old hardware), so of course it’s expanding. Give it a few years and it will probably span across two months.

Come on, you're telling me this doesn't look fun?

Dunno but it looks pretty tame compared to many mosh pits I've been in over the years. :P

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly Black Friday is, sounds like a day to suck in the masses to spend money that doesn't really need to be spent.
A masterclass in advertising is where I currently sit.

I know that in this context 'fortnight' means 'week,' but I'm sure lots of American kids and teens would get a kick out out of 'Black Fortnight.' It would only make things worse.

The UK have jumped upon the bandwagon last few years
Same for France, under the untranslated label "Black Friday". It first came by computer and video game retailers, before expanding to everything.
20181005PHOWWW00432.jpg

Not really a waste of money if you planned on buying gift x for somebody, but hey look gift x is marked down 50% on Black Friday, i'm saving x amount of money so I can use that to buy another gift for them on sale, or something like that.

But there are definitely people out there that buy things just because they're getting a deal and think they're saving money, even though they're not really saving money because they didn't plan on spending that money in the first place. Like TVs. Who really needs a new TV every single year at Black Friday?

I gotta say the unsung heros of Black Friday are the cheap movies. Last year I picked up Baby Driver (on Blu Ray) and the Rush Hour Trilogy for a whopping $5 each.

Back