Blade Runner to be released on DVD September

  • Thread starter Thread starter slackbladder
  • 20 comments
  • 1,343 views
Messages
1,499
United Kingdom
Darkest Kent....
Messages
Slackbladder
Messages
DarkSideDaMoon
For those who didn't know, a restored Blade Runner: Directors Cut is to be released on DVD this September. A theatrical release will follow in 2007 followed by a DVD release comprising all the previous versions of the film.

At last.

Variety
 
I have Blade Runner: Director's Cut on DVD already. I've had it since the first few months of the PS2's life. Now, they're coming out with a "restored" version? Meh...
 
I love this movie. A classic. 👍 I have the current "Director's Cut" also. I'm not sure if I'll be getting the "International Director's Cut". I'll have to see. It's kind of weird that they are releasing the DVD ahead of the theatrical release?
 
a6m5
I love this movie. A classic. 👍 I have the current "Director's Cut" also. I'm not sure if I'll be getting the "International Director's Cut". I'll have to see. It's kind of weird that they are releasing the DVD ahead of the theatrical release?
It's weird they're releasing a DVD when they should release a Blu-ray or HD-DVD of the movie.
 
The original DVD release is pretty poor. No extras, not anamorphic, no 5.1, poor picture quality. A cleaned version with 5.1 and extras is long, long overdue.
However I too would like it to be out on Blu-ray, and though there's no mention as of yet it almost certainly will. Hopefully by the end of next year (in time for Christmas).

Edit: There could be a HD release of Blade Runner next year. www.thedigitalbits.com
Edit: Apologies for the multi-posting. There seems to have been a problem.
 
I didn't realize that my "Director's Cut" is enhanced for widescreen, but doesn't even have Dolby 5.1.
 
That'd be cool... the only copy of the movie I have is still on VCD...

I know, I need to get a life... :lol:

It's amazing, though, how good this movie still looks, even decades later. If the new DVD version cleans it up a bit and there are no George Lucas-y additions ( :lol:), the it's probably worth a buy.
 
I also have the standard DVD version, but I will wait for it to be on blu-ray or HD-DVD (which ever wins the format war). But for now my version is ok by me.
 
Just a quick bump.
It's been out a while and I've not yet bought it. I have found a site that shows the difference in picture quality between the original DVD release and the new one.
www.dvdbeaver.com
There is an obvious PQ improvement but as there is still no 5.1 I may wait 'til the next release next year or the HD version.
The current Blade Runner DVD will only be on release 'til December.
 
At this point, might as well. It's just too bad that HD DVD will be obsolete by 2008. :D j/k

Seriously, on a classic title like the Blade Runner, I think it is a good idea to wait for the next gen DVD release. 👍
 
Oh boy! I can't wait to hear Vangelis in 7.1. Now, that's Hi-Fi! :lol::lol::lol:
 
Great! Perhaps now I can get rid of the Laserdisc version (but probably not. I did that when I got the Star Wars DVD pack and then had to buy them back again when I saw what was done to the movies).
But I thought that the next-gen DVD formats were coming out for the movie after the theatrical release?
 
But I thought that the next-gen DVD formats were coming out for the movie after the theatrical release?

I believe they are. But as no date has been set for the HD release there's not much point waiting for it. It could be quite late next year.
The current re-mastered DVD release is selling at an affordable price in most regions so I may get it after all.
 
Regarding the lack of 5.1, where are you going to get a 5.1 soundtrack? I honestly haven't heard a single soundtrack from a movie orginally mono or stereo, where anything done in surround made any sense, or wasn't obviously artificial. It's almost as bad as making stereo recordings from old 78s.

Unless the original multi-track recordings are available for re-mix, which is usually not the case, a more complex soundtrack than originally issued is just not feasible.
 
I picked this up today. I must personally say that while it is miles ahead of the '97 release, it has been essentially been brought up to the quality of the Laserdisc version, other than the DVD being anamorphic (which doesn't really matter to me because the only widescreen in the house is in the living room, which is not my bedroom) instead of letterboxed and having the extra scenes of the Directors Cut (which I am more-or-less indifferent to). Still no bonus features sucks also.
 
Regarding the lack of 5.1, where are you going to get a 5.1 soundtrack? I honestly haven't heard a single soundtrack from a movie orginally mono or stereo, where anything done in surround made any sense, or wasn't obviously artificial. It's almost as bad as making stereo recordings from old 78s.

Unless the original multi-track recordings are available for re-mix, which is usually not the case, a more complex soundtrack than originally issued is just not feasible.

The Star Wars DVD's have a good 5.1 mix. Well, not the most recently released versions as they're the "original" versions. It's been done before but it takes time and money and work so I can understand if it never happens.
 
Link
After months of anticipation, Warner Home Video has finally unveiled full specs and a street date for 'Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector's Edition' on Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Since Warner first announced late last year that it was finally bringing Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic to high-def this fall, expectations have been sky high for what has long been the most highly-requested special edition in the studio's library.

Now, Warner has issued a new press release heralding what promises to be a behemoth of a next-gen release. As previously reported, 'Blade Runner: Ultimate Edition' will be a whopping five-disc set, and the studio confirmed a simultaneous December 18 bow on Blu-ray, HD DVD and standard-def DVD.
At last, the wait will be over. I hope it's a good transfer. But I don't quite get something. I get the 5 discs for DVD (all the film versions and a 3 and a half hour documentary) but 5 Blu-rays? Surely only need 2 at the most?
Anyway, can't wait!
 
Oooh, I already have it on DVD, I'm in a dilemma now.
 
I have it on DVD but the promise of HD PQ, 5.1 sound (LPCM please) and loads and loads of extras (this is one of my fave films) certainly appeals to me. Suffice to say I will be purchasing it, whatever the price..
 
I think the price will be the determining factor for me, if I tihnk it's worth the price I'll get it and hand my regular copy on.
 
Holy hell, 5 Blu Rays? Damn. I guess they want to make up for the lack of special features in previous releases.
 
Back