BMW add MTX's

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 12 comments
So wipers along with indicators in the future will be locked behind a paywall.

Last edited:
BMW has been chock full of bad ideas for years now, it's kind of a miracle their sales are still up. I'm pretty sure they're going to learn a lesson from this one.

I have to imagine someone will figure out how to "jailbreak" the car pretty quick. People already do it with Teslas and the supercharger subscription.

Also, just wait until a car company releases an ad-supported subscription service. Imagine having to watch a 15-second ad in order to use your heated seats or you can opt to pay $20 a month for the privilege to use a feature on a car you already bought.

I have to imagine someone will figure out how to "jailbreak" the car pretty quick. People already do it with Teslas and the supercharger subscription.
Oh, this will without a doubt happen, and BMW will also almost certainly invalidate the car's warranty for doing it.

or you can opt to pay $20 a month for the privilege to use a feature on a car you already bought.
Or you can just spec it on the car as new and not pay a subscription.

I don't understand the economics of this, but I suspect the companies doing this kind of thing are looking further down the road at how to extract money during the life of the vehicle, as servicing and parts become less profitable. I'm also curious to see how it could affect end of lease and resale values and the second hand market.

Is it a way for BMW to produce one car on the production line and have features disabled via software? For example, every car has heated seats, if you spec it brand new it's yours and you don't have to pay the sub. But if you don't it is still there in the car and you or a future owner could activate it via sub?

Would this work in terms of scale of production? I mean having less options and varients through the production line and it being turned on/off via code being cheaper and more efficient to produce while giving BMW an option for future revenue?

I guess as a new car buyer, if you didn't spec something as you didn't value it but times change and now you do, it is easy to turn on. As a 2nd hand owner, I now don't have to go find a part that fits my car and get it installed, I can just turn it on through a menu system and a credit card. Which probably becomes more appealing the older the car gets, in terms of finding parts that fit.

BMW is following Toyota's lead. They planned something similar but I think it was for the auto start or something I could be wrong. What's next are they going to charge you for driving? or using the power door locks? This is just pure greed

kjb
What's next are they going to charge you for driving?
I drive a BMW, y'know what, BMW hasn't earned a penny from that. You know who has? The government, insurance companies, and oil companies -- all of which earn money by charging me to use a car I already own.

kjb
They planned something similar but I think it was for the auto start or something I could be wrong.
BMW already do this. It's in the link.

Is it a way for BMW to produce one car on the production line and have features disabled via software? For example, every car has heated seats, if you spec it brand new it's yours and you don't have to pay the sub. But if you don't it is still there in the car and you or a future owner could activate it via sub?

Would this work in terms of scale of production? I mean having less options and varients through the production line and it being turned on/off via code being cheaper and more efficient to produce while giving BMW an option for future revenue?

I guess as a new car buyer, if you didn't spec something as you didn't value it but times change and now you do, it is easy to turn on. As a 2nd hand owner, I now don't have to go find a part that fits my car and get it installed, I can just turn it on through a menu system and a credit card. Which probably becomes more appealing the older the car gets, in terms of finding parts that fit.
Holy smokes, that's crazy. I can see that.

I buy a used car and have to turn on the front & rear fog lights, by paying for the subscription(I'm just being silly).
I don't need heating seats where I live, but someone else may want that feature. It's crazy, man.

I drive a BMW, y'know what, BMW hasn't earned a penny from that. You know who has? The government, insurance companies, and oil companies -- all of which earn money by charging me to use a car I already own.

BMW already do this. It's in the link.
Of course the govt and oil companies get their share.

Back