BMW DCT vs manual

• Thread starter Krizzay
  • 10 comments
Belgium
Genk
Krizzay
OK, this might sound silly but hear me out. I drive the cars in game the way they come. That means, if they have flappy pedals, I use the pedals, if they have a manual, I use the stick shifter (g27). It's something I do and I refuse to step away from it. The problem, for me, is, I would love to drive the M4 a bit more, but I always tend to go for cars with a manual because it gives me more pleasure in driving. Would driving the M4 with the g27 stick shift represent the feel of the real manual M4 or would it still act like a dual clutch semi-auto?

OK, this might sound silly but hear me out. I drive the cars in game the way they come. That means, if they have flappy pedals, I use the pedals, if they have a manual, I use the stick shifter (g27). It's something I do and I refuse to step away from it. The problem, for me, is, I would love to drive the M4 a bit more, but I always tend to go for cars with a manual because it gives me more pleasure in driving. Would driving the M4 with the g27 stick shift represent the feel of the real manual M4 or would it still act like a dual clutch semi-auto?

I definitely hear you. I would love to do the same if I had a wheel, and I would even look for a separate shifter mount to place it at the right or left depending if it's a LHD or RHD car.

Now, I don't know the technicalities involving a wheel and how it interacts with the game's shifting dynamics, but as far as I've seen, with the controller, all cars shift too quick, almost as if they had a DSG (or however you want to call it).

Love to give you an answer, but I really don't have a wheel.

Gran Turismo is a computer game and the M4 MT comes with a physical gearbox linked to a physical engine by a physical clutch. Whilst I respect the way you are trying to play the game, I think the best thing for you to do, is play it how you want to. There is no way on the planet GT, the PS3, your wheel set-up accurately represents each optional transmission for each car in the game.

@Krizzay

I am with you completely on the whole realism aspect of it, though I often drive cars (like the Ferrari F430 or Audi R8) which in the game are automated-manuals, using the clutch and gated shifter of my T500RS - because the cars can be had with a manual in real life too!

Unfortunately (as @fifomaniak stated) the game does not allow the use of the clutch-pedal in any car which have a dual/double-clutch transmission in the game - no matter if it is a "real life DCT only" like a R35 GT-R or 458 Italia or the M4, which (as you said) can also be had with a manual in real life.

I wish we had the choice though..

If I remember it right the M4-"Standard" had the 6speed which was changed to the slushbox when the interieur was premiumized :boggled:

I appreciate your way of playing the game. I try to duplicate the on-Screen shifting too. I am just too lazy to Change my shifter (Fanatec CSR Elite) from right to left for that Kind of cars :sly:

I also try to use any driving aids like in the real car. For example when a car is not available with ABS or traction control, I turn that Systems off in the game too (like for example in the KTM X-Bow). Unfortunately the game gives no Information about that stuff at all.

I appreciate your way of playing the game. I try to duplicate the on-Screen shifting too. I am just too lazy to Change my shifter (Fanatec CSR Elite) from right to left for that Kind of cars :sly:

I also try to use any driving aids like in the real car. For example when a car is not available with ABS or traction control, I turn that Systems off in the game too (like for example in the KTM X-Bow). Unfortunately the game gives no Information about that stuff at all.

This. And I hate it when people online race their 1974 Countach on sports softs with ABS.

I also reduce braking balance on old cars, a Pontiac GTO from 1965 doesn't make sense when brake balance is set to 5/5.

Well, try it yourself, but as far as I can remember, M4 won't let you use the clutch, as other cars with modelled DCT, DSG and similiar gearboxes (California, GT-R for example).

True, forgot about that, tried it once with a car that had a semi automatic. Too bad, damn :)

Gran Turismo is a computer game and the M4 MT comes with a physical gearbox linked to a physical engine by a physical clutch. Whilst I respect the way you are trying to play the game, I think the best thing for you to do, is play it how you want to. There is no way on the planet GT, the PS3, your wheel set-up accurately represents each optional transmission for each car in the game.

Problem is, that's how I want to play it, drive the cars how they realy are represented in the game. Too bad, I realy love the ///M4 but I think my e92 (in game) is gonna see a lot more of tracktime

Back