BMW M5 (E34) 3.8 Six Speed 1991

GTP_Justinternet
image.jpg
The last real M5

spacer.gif

What makes the E34 M5 unique?
The E34 M5 is the BMW Motorsport-developed version of the E34 5 Series sedan and (later) Touring. It is powered by the S38 twin-cam 24-valve inline-six, an evolution of the engine used in the E28 M5 and E24 M6. It also has a BMW Motorsport-tuned chassis and a few special cosmetic pieces.
spacer.gif

The 3.8-liter M5 engine (S38 B38)
The final evolution of the S38 powerplant, the S38 B38, was introduced in later versions of the European-spec E34 M5. In this application, the bore was increased (to 94.6mm) and the stroke lengthened (to 90mm), raising the displacement to 3,795cc. Though the added capacity makes the S38 B38 the largest six-cylinder production BMW engine of the modern era, it represents only a portion of the major revisions developed by BMW Motorsport at this time. Others include:
-Larger intake and exhaust valves
-Lighter pistons
-Shorter connecting rods
-50mm throttle bodies (increased from 46mm)
-Increased compression to 10.5:1
-Bosch Motronic 3.3 engine management system
-Distributorless ignition with six coils
-Redesigned intake and exhaust manifolds
-Revised throttle butterfly linked to Motronic engine control
-Dual-mass flywheel with harmonic balancer
-Metal catalysts for reduced backpressure and better heat conduction

The S38 B38 is rated at 340 hp (ECE) or 347 hp (DIN) at 6,900 rpm and 295 lb/ft of torque at 4,750 rpm.

Nice video of an M5 workin' the streets, turns out to be a perfect city car as well

Last edited:
All generations of m5's should be included, the e34 m5 was the last hand built m5 and I'm biased. Mine is not an m5, she's a 4.0 v8 6 speed but I'm going for that look. Pretty sure the 3.8 m5 came with 18" m-parallel wheels like mine shown below.
image.jpg

Timeless

All generations of m5's should be included, the e34 m5 was the last hand built m5 and I'm biased. Mine is not an m5, she's a 4.0 v8 6 speed but I'm going for that look. Pretty sure the 3.8 m5 came with 18" m-parallel wheels like mine shown below.View attachment 103576
Timeless

No, the e34 M5 came only with 17" wheels, the wheels of your car are from e38 7 series. But still a very nice car. I like it!

No, the e34 M5 came only with 17" wheels, the wheels of your car are from e38 7 series. But still a very nice car. I like it!

No, I'm sure the first car to receive M Parallels was the e34 m5 as stated starting in May of 1994 apparently. Most people do think they started on the e38 chassis but they were made for the e34 originally. Thanks man she's my baby!

image.jpg

Went for a ride in a white one back in 1998, there were no seatbelts in the back and the driver was really winding up the car with each gearshift.:scared:

Latest Posts

Back