BMW M3 '04 - Help Needed With Setup/Tune

• Thread starter jwesson1
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jwesson1
This Bad Panda
Hi GTPlanet.

I'm after some help with fine tuning my setup for the BMW M3 '04 on Racing Softs.

437 bhp
1256 kg
50-50

Setup to be used on the Nurburgring Nordschleife

Current setup,

Suspension:

Right Height - F 75 R 77
Springs Rates - F 8.40 R 11.25
Damper Compression - F 6 R 5
Damper Extension - F 4 R 3
Anti Roll Bars - F 3 R 3
Camber Angle - F 0.0 R 0.0
Toe Angle - F -0.05 R 0.29

L.S.D :

Initial Torque - 6
Acceleration Sensitivity - 10
Braking Sensitivity - 20

Brake Balance: (Using the Racing Brake Kit)
F 4 R 5

ABS:

I'm after help on improving the initial turn-in response and help setting the lsd so the that rear is less slippy when pushing on.Also any advice on how to improve the ride quality so its less bumpy.

the rear is slippy because the fronts have too much grip, racing tires are for racing cars (extremely stiff, downforce, etc.) you can't effectively tune out a tire characteristic. it will be much more easy to tune if you put it on sport tires. with only 437 HP it will be much easier to tune the LSD. you will probably also find that the car will be less twitchy and more easy to fix problems. I know this isn't the type of help you were looking for but racing tires have so much grip that they are masking the behaviors of the rest of the car.

lol yours is super similar to mine. I personally find mine like a rocket carving through the track and it uses sports tires normally. You can take a look at mine to see the small differences and test it out on yours http://www.team-shmo.com/GT6tunes/BMW/Race/BMW-M3-2004-race.php

Hate to bring this up but I looked at my M3, granted its for 525pp and less, to see some differences. I took a look at Team Shmo's setup from the link...

@shmogt and @jwesson1 Suspensions are almost identical except the spring rate with similar ratio, but matching RH, dampers, ARB, and toe all same.
Camber is different.
LSD closely similar with different accel.
BB same.
Different PP-HP specs.

Gonna try these setups (will be easy to test) RS vs SS tires will be much different rides...

turne your LSD up ;)

i have mine set on 15 30 20

i have toe set as -0.1 and 0.1

and my dampers are inverted to yours. probably why you bounce on the road and not absorbe the bumbs ;)

and you can tune the road cars to specs for Racing tires ; only if the car can have stiff enough springs. since when do you need aero to use slics ? never ! it helps but its not all... you can use racing tires on cars if you stiffen the suspension enough to cope with the pull enduced by the tire.

turne your LSD up ;)

i have mine set on 15 30 20

i have toe set as -0.1 and 0.1

and my dampers are inverted to yours. probably why you bounce on the road and not absorbe the bumbs ;)

and you can tune the road cars to specs for Racing tires ; only if the car can have stiff enough springs. since when do you need aero to use slics ? never ! it helps but its not all... you can use racing tires on cars if you stiffen the suspension enough to cope with the pull enduced by the tire.

Yeah I had my LSD Accel at 20 on the RS and was actually a good drive. I had 0 on camber and toe angles. I am running at 500pp though. Could tweak it but @shmogt suspension works well for me. Will try the damper setup you suggest.

Back