BMW theft and Renault spy scandal stun car industry

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 9 comments
  • 3,229 views

AlexGTV

(Banned)
Messages
1,547
Greece
Salonica
In a short amount time there have been two crime cases in the auto business that shocked the industry and raise questions of trust. Both cases were an inside job.

In BMW workers were stealing car parts, from gear sticks to even seats, and selling them online.
Here is the full story http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1052002_workers-steal-millions-worth-of-parts-from-bmw-factory

In France three Renault executives lose their jobs after being suspects for espionage. They were giving away, yet to be patended, battery technology to the Chinese. Investigation is in progress. Full coverage here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110107/ts_nm/us_renault_spying

It seems there are true wars happening in the auto industry. And I suspect for every case that makes it to the news there are dozens that companies keep to themselves and maybe even more nobody finds out.
 
The first one isn't really a big deal. I'm certain that the same thing probably happens for a lot of industrial-type industries.

The second one is pretty big, though.
 
The first one isn't really a big deal. I'm certain that the same thing probably happens for a lot of industrial-type industries.

I partly agree but considering BMW's status as a maker of premium cars, and consequently premium car parts, one would expect for there to be stricter control.
 
I think the biggest surprise here is that it's only been discovered at these two. I don't think I've ever worked anywhere that people weren't stealing from. I used to have to count 4000 saw blades in and out or storage a month because they were worth about a quid each and hundreds were going missing.
 
The first one isn't really a big deal. I'm certain that the same thing probably happens for a lot of industrial-type industries.

I'm reminded of...I think It's a Johnny Cash song...where the guy builds a Cadillac from parts he took home in his lunchbox....

and it turns out being like...five different model years. XD
 
It's good news for the public if bad news for Renault. Now there will much cheaper batteries for electric cars, generic copies of the latest technology, made and sold by China.
Also new cheaper electric cars making use of the data gleaned from the espionage.
This could actually be the making of the whole EV era, a big boost to the worldwide market.
 
I'm reminded of...I think It's a Johnny Cash song...where the guy builds a Cadillac from parts he took home in his lunchbox....

and it turns out being like...five different model years. XD

 
It WAS a Johnny Cash song. Though there was a LOT more model years. X3
 
It's good news for the public if bad news for Renault. Now there will much cheaper batteries for electric cars, generic copies of the latest technology, made and sold by China.
Also new cheaper electric cars making use of the data gleaned from the espionage.
This could actually be the making of the whole EV era, a big boost to the worldwide market.

China already has its hands on a lot of electric car technology. And they've been producing cheap electrics for a long time.

Big rise in cheap electric sales due to this? Nope.

Expect a big rise in cheap electrics due to stolen tech? Nope.
 
The first story has happened before. I recall hearing about an assembly line worker at the Land Rover factory in England who did the exact same thing. When he was caught, Police raided his home and found a half finished Discovery in his garage. :lol:
 
Back