Bo & Luke Duke went to the wrong motorsport?

I've been, recently, watching some Dukes of Hazzard reruns on a local channel dedicated to older TV series and found myself enjoying the antics of the Duke Boys and the car chases and the good old family-friendly comedy. However, as I watched it, it got me thinking.

We all know the real reason why, at one point in the series, Bo & Luke Duke left. The in-plot explanation given was that they had joined the NASCAR circuit. Am I the only one who thinks their talent was somewhat wasted over there? Considering what they do and where they drive, on a pretty much daily basis, shouldn't they have gone rallying? Multiple surfaces, both tarmac and loose, sideways action, jumping, speeding through the woods, sounds like something they'd feel right at home with. Personally I think rally is the most challenging motorsport in the world and I think that the Duke's driving talent would have been better suited for that. Bo driving and Luke co-driving, since he prefers to ride shotgun.

A dumb thread maybe, I know, but what are your thoughts on this?

....Redneck boys going rallying? What kinda beer-fueled fantasy is this? :lol:

It's obvious that they would go NASCAR. It's as American as the proverbial apple pie.

While they did rally style driving (or "overland" as it was called in the show), the boys going into rally racing wouldn't make much sense. IIRC, rally wasn't big in the U.S. in the late 70's/early 80's when the show was on the air. I don't believe there were even any rally races in the U.S. at that time.

Having 2 flat broke good ol' boys from Georgia (where the show was supposed to be set) making their way over to Europe/Africa to join the rally circuit would be a bit far fetched. So they joined the Nascar circuit. Bo as driver, Luke as crew chief.

....Redneck boys going rallying? What kinda beer-fueled fantasy is this? :lol:

I can assure it was not beer-fueled as I don't drink it :D.

While they did rally style driving (or "overland" as it was called in the show), the boys going into rally racing wouldn't make much sense. IIRC, rally wasn't big in the U.S. in the late 70's/early 80's when the show was on the air. I don't believe there were even any rally races in the U.S. at that time.

Having 2 flat broke good ol' boys from Georgia (where the show was supposed to be set) making their way over to Europe/Africa to join the rally circuit would be a bit far fetched. So they joined the Nascar circuit. Bo as driver, Luke as crew chief.

I get what you mean, rally was indeed not well known in the US. I would think someone from outside would have to approach them, interested in their driving skills, and introduce them to the sport of rally, which, once they learned the details, I think they'd like. From there the offer to join a team could come. But this is just a thought exercise about how they would do in that sport. In the original timeline, they would join in the beginnings of Group B, what many consider the golden era of rally.

If the Duke's story was in the present, they could have a better chance.

I get what you mean, rally was indeed not well known in the US. I would think someone from outside would have to approach them, interested in their driving skills, and introduce them to the sport of rally, which, once they learned the details, I think they'd like. From there the offer to join a team could come. But this is just a thought exercise about how they would do in that sport. In the original timeline, they would join in the beginnings of Group B, what many consider the golden era of rally.

If the Duke's story was in the present, they could have a better chance.

Not being a big follower of rally, I wouldn't know how they would have gotten into the sport. They had some crazier things happened in that show, that's for sure. :lol:

Possibly they could. Personally, I'd hate to see them try to reboot the Dukes today. Given what they did to the movie, today's PC culture, etc.

With all the jumps they took? Monster truckers, surely.

Back