Boost control

  • Thread starter Thread starter GroupC
  • 25 comments
  • 4,961 views
Messages
14
This is my first thread on this site and due to the group C cars (as you can see from my account name I'm into my group c cars!) I was wondering if anything has been said weather or not you can control the amount of boost your turbo produces through a race. For example the porsche 962 (bad example for the game i know :nervous:) had the ability to control the amount of boost it had throughout a race. Do you think GT5 could replicate that in the finished game? anyway thanks to this game I'm going to have to buy a PS3 and to hell with the expense 👍
 
Good question. Although, I don't believe there's a definite answer. This is a pretty specific question, and there aren't many specific things we know. In previous GTs, there were different grades of turbo-chargers you could buy/install, but there is no adjustments for them. They always deliver full-boost.
 
I would really welcome the ability to change the amount of pressure/boost on turbocharged engines whereby it will drastically change the characteristics of the engine and the power/torque ratio.
Not sure it will be this detailed though, but it would be nice and really have a noticable effect.
 
GT2 had boost control in setup, I do hope it returns but as we have real time adjustments it could be adjusted in race as you mention.
 
GT4 had the ability to adjust how much nitrous was injected into the engine, but that was all done before the race. There MIGHT be some sort of adjustment... if you used the Driving Force GT knob to change the settings (or assign the respective settings to a controller), it all comes down to, "will they add that setting?"
 
Jay
GT2 had boost control in setup, I do hope it returns but as we have real time adjustments it could be adjusted in race as you mention.

Really?! My memory fails me. Although, what I do remember is that I didn't get too involved with GT2 (which is a shame), as I was still working on GT1 when it came out.

Anyway, an in-race adjustment for boost would be very welcomed from me, as well.
 
They could include this in the quick menu, where you can change brake balance etc. on the fly
 
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants this! 👍. I think it would add another dimension to the game. In respect to endurance racing it would really shine. Like by using a turbo car you get the advantage of more power on demand but would mean it would be more difficult to gauge when you should put the hammer down and when you should drive more economically to increase your distance, Where as the N/a cars can better judge there fuel consumption.
 
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants this! 👍. I think it would add another dimension to the game. In respect to endurance racing it would really shine. Like by using a turbo car you get the advantage of more power on demand but would mean it would be more difficult to gauge when you should put the hammer down and when you should drive more economically to increase your distance, Where as the N/a cars can better judge there fuel consumption.

Are you just talking about the turbo boost pressure or the nitro boost level? If it's just the turbo boost that wouldn't apply to N/A engines, the only way I can think of restricting a N/A engine mid race is to lower the rev limit although if you're using manual transmission this could be done by changing gear earlier.

This has got me thinking about cars that have over boost for a limited period of time and if this will be replicated in the game…
 
In reality high boost pressure comes with knock and increased engine temperatures, in a race situation boost is raised above safe levels for overtaking and short stints, engineers calculate the rates at which over boost can be used.

In GT5 this would add a whole new dimension, especially if real time engine damage / mileage is included.
 
Are you just talking about the turbo boost pressure or the nitro boost level? If it's just the turbo boost that wouldn't apply to N/A engines, the only way I can think of restricting a N/A engine mid race is to lower the rev limit although if you're using manual transmission this could be done by changing gear earlier.

This has got me thinking about cars that have over boost for a limited period of time and if this will be replicated in the game…


What I meant to say was the naturally aspirated cars had the advantage of knowing how hard they could push the car without running out of fuel, where as the turbo cars would have to get the balance right between turning up the boost (burning more fuel) and economy. With endurance racing its all about mileage
 
Last edited:
Jay
GT2 had boost control in setup, I do hope it returns but as we have real time adjustments it could be adjusted in race as you mention.

GT4 had the ability to adjust how much nitrous was injected into the engine, but that was all done before the race. There MIGHT be some sort of adjustment... if you used the Driving Force GT knob to change the settings (or assign the respective settings to a controller), it all comes down to, "will they add that setting?"

Nope, GT1 had it. Both GT2 and 4 didn't have that option.
GT4 only offered a setting for the Nitrous Oxide.
 
Well, turning up the boost will increase horsepower, and therefore speed, but remember that phrase, "You can have too much of a good thing". If you increase the pressure too much the engine should be able to overheat, so therefore to avoid permanent engine damage, you should have to turn down your boost and shift up early.
 
Well, turning up the boost will increase horsepower, and therefore speed, but remember that phrase, "You can have too much of a good thing". If you increase the pressure too much the engine should be able to overheat, so therefore to avoid permanent engine damage, you should have to turn down your boost and shift up early.

Yes that’s exactly what I was angling at, the ability to turn up the boost down a long straight such as Mulsanne straight and then turn the boost down once you set yourself up for the next sequence of turns If they did that I'd be swimming in ecstasy!!!
 
Yes that’s exactly what I was angling at, the ability to turn up the boost down a long straight such as Mulsanne straight and then turn the boost down once you set yourself up for the next sequence of turns If they did that I'd be swimming in ecstasy!!!

It's not only that aspect which is interesting, nowadays a lot of car manufactures put low-pressure turbo's on road cars to add power somewhat as well as improving torque figures mid-range and reduce turbo-lag to an insignificant level.
If we had the option to increase and decrease the level of pressure we could create turbo-charged cars with different characteristics, full-blown power or driving a turbo-car which feels like a N/A car if you want it to.
 
It's not only that aspect which is interesting, nowadays a lot of car manufactures put low-pressure turbo's on road cars to add power somewhat as well as improving torque figures mid-range and reduce turbo-lag to an insignificant level.
If we had the option to increase and decrease the level of pressure we could create turbo-charged cars with different characteristics, full-blown power or driving a turbo-car which feels like a N/A car if you want it to.

True, this is something they should defiantly implement into the finished game imo. Would immerse you into the game so much more easily. If they don't do it for GT5 then this is imo a must have for GT6.
 
It would be great to have on-the-fly boost control, and would work nicely with dynamic weather if it's implemented.
 
I wonder if you can adjust the boost like in NFS for a fast/short boost or a slow/long lasting boost.

It would be great to have on-the-fly boost control, and would work nicely with dynamic weather if it's implemented.

That is one thing that I'm afraid of with GT5; weather changes. If it turns out to be a real advantage to use the on the fly adjustments the DFGT has, I may have to get one. Has anyone tried using G25 pedals with the DFGT?

Jerome
 
anyway thanks to this game I'm going to have to buy a PS3 and to hell with the expense 👍

Boost pressure should be cool 👍

But the PS3 is not that expensive anymore.
 
If it turns out to be a real advantage to use the on the fly adjustments the DFGT has, I may have to get one. Has anyone tried using G25 pedals with the DFGT?

You don't need a DFGT to use the adjustment menu, you can map the controls easily to any controller or wheel.
 
They could include this in the quick menu, where you can change brake balance etc. on the fly

Haha i just started using that on gt5p
it makes a major diff.
 
I hope we can buy a boost controller from after market suppliers within the game. The ability to put one on any turbo engine would make the game more true to life, in my opinion.

I would also like to be able to adjust ignition timing on the fly (retard/advance), cause any true rodder knows that is where they hide the ponies.
 
Adjustable boost is a good idea,it was a handy little tool in GT2? It was also cost effective to buy a stage 4 turbo and wind the boost down to the horsepower limit that was set for your particular race/cup etc and just use the same car for a good percentage of the races in the game due to the ability to control your cars horsepower via adjustable boost settings ;-)

GT cruiser,in dyno comps "sand bagging" your results/power by winding back timing on N/A motors is a effective practice(i`m sure your aware of this) and works similiar to the adjustable boost principle, however winding up/down boost will give you much more of a differance than bumping the dizzy up or down a few deg,not mention the adjusting the advance curve,spring weights/tension etc

And we don`t want to complicate GT5 anymore than it ready is,cause we all just want it now.
 
They should make a mini-menu mapped to the d-pad, like the forza's setup, but that we can adjust certain things on the car.
 
Back