Boost function in custom race settings

• Thread starter Cat Power
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
If I set Boost to Off I get more credits than Weak and even more when set to Strong.
I would have thought Weak and Strong make it harder so you should get more.
Am I missing something?

PS testing and with Weak the cars are much faster so as said why do I earn less ?
Many thanks for any input.
Been playing GT7 for a year but first time I have played with boost in Custom race.

But ii am finding when Boost is set to Weak or Strong other cars are much faster so I can't do as well as boost Off.
Driving SF23

“Boost” gives a power boost to cars that aren’t in the lead. Also, the further back you are, the slower the lead cars go. If you’re in last, the leaders practically CRAWL around the course (It’s really stupid). I guess the thinking is that it makes it easier for a player to catch up and finish in the money with Boost turned on.

This ends up backfiring, though. In practice, since the AI is generally laughably, embarrassingly terrible, you’re going to be in the lead for most of the race, so the boost effect ends up primarily benefiting all the AI cars rather than the player, making it actually easier to lose with boost turned on, since the AI will always be on your tail and a screw up right near the end of the race could result in them overtaking you. Even though they’ll start driving like an idiot as soon as they pass you, if it happens right at the end, you might not be able to pass them back.

So in the end nah, it doesn’t really make sense for “boost” payout to be less. It’s just yet another poorly thought out and poorly implemented system in a game absolutely overflowing with thoughtless decisions.

Last edited:
the boost effect works differently based on the cars. I have various custom race set ups for different cars. On some I get better A/I results with boost and others without it. Since it is a 50/50 proposition PD felt it would always be easier with boost as it can help you as well. I am working on a one make set up for the '09 Corvette (love that engine sound). I had the A/I at 75 more HP and was still beating it, turned weak boost on and now I have to close the gap, the A/I is killing me. It just isn't consistent on the effect.

As I found with 20 SF23's in a custom race I have set up.
Starting from back I can win on boost Off but in Weak / Strong the others disappear and their fastest lap is 5/6 seconds better than my boost Off time.

Latest Posts

Back