BoP issues or misunderstandings

• Thread starter Rajareits
  • 14 comments
Rajareits
Hi!

I've been slowly discovering GT7 now, with some friends. I used to play a lot back in the days, but not so much recently.
Anyway, we have a small group of people who race each-other almost daily. Me and my friend have been trying to get up to pace.

We have a race coming up, de la Sarthe with Gr1 cars. Me and my friend drive the 919s.
We tried to make a small test to find a good setup. Keep in mind, we were both driving the same cars. During the test, we discovered that the BoP makes really random adjustments so we tried to understand the BoP a bit more. One guy was on the track, just sitting there, while the other made adjustments.
Long story short, the weirdest thing was that sometimes I got a top speed of 270kph, the other, 330kph. And it definitely didn't change with the adjustment of downforce. It was totally random.

What gives?

I remember, from our last race at Spa, I also got a beating on the straights from other 919s. I had my downforce turned down but I figured the other had worked more with their cars or I was just a bad driver.

Would you have any information to share? I couldn't find anything myself.

Thank you for your time!

Hi!

I've been slowly discovering GT7 now, with some friends. I used to play a lot back in the days, but not so much recently.
Anyway, we have a small group of people who race each-other almost daily. Me and my friend have been trying to get up to pace.

We have a race coming up, de la Sarthe with Gr1 cars. Me and my friend drive the 919s.
We tried to make a small test to find a good setup. Keep in mind, we were both driving the same cars. During the test, we discovered that the BoP makes really random adjustments so we tried to understand the BoP a bit more. One guy was on the track, just sitting there, while the other made adjustments.
Long story short, the weirdest thing was that sometimes I got a top speed of 270kph, the other, 330kph. And it definitely didn't change with the adjustment of downforce. It was totally random.

What gives?

I remember, from our last race at Spa, I also got a beating on the straights from other 919s. I had my downforce turned down but I figured the other had worked more with their cars or I was just a bad driver.

Would you have any information to share? I couldn't find anything myself.

Thank you for your time!
Without knowing what you did, it's incredible hard to say. Pictures/video of the issue would be good.

Did you adjust gearing? Have you taken the hybrid battery charge level into account?

I can try to be more clear, thanks. I can of course make some videos in the coming days.
Tuning is prohibited and with the 919, this means no allowed gearing.

Anyway..
One car is on the track, so I guess BoP adjusts my car to the one on the track.
I go to settings, change my tyres to RH and downforce to minimum. I go to the track, just to check the top speed. So every time the hybrid system is in the same state. I drive the three-four corners and go flat out to the first chicane.
RH tyres, downforce minimum, I get a top speed of 280.
Go back to settings, change downforce to maximum, get a top speed of 285.
Go back to settings, change tyres to RS and downforce maximum, top speed 325.
Back to settings, change a click of downforce, top speed 275.
Maybe not in the same order, but basically like this. I can make some videos and examples of this, if you don't believe me. But it really was so random.

It’s not that we don’t believe you. There is probably something that you didn’t notice during these tests, which is why the video is needed because then we can check all the details.

I can try to be more clear, thanks. I can of course make some videos in the coming days.
Tuning is prohibited and with the 919, this means no allowed gearing.

Anyway..
One car is on the track, so I guess BoP adjusts my car to the one on the track.
I go to settings, change my tyres to RH and downforce to minimum. I go to the track, just to check the top speed. So every time the hybrid system is in the same state. I drive the three-four corners and go flat out to the first chicane.
RH tyres, downforce minimum, I get a top speed of 280.
Go back to settings, change downforce to maximum, get a top speed of 285.
Go back to settings, change tyres to RS and downforce maximum, top speed 325.
Back to settings, change a click of downforce, top speed 275.
Maybe not in the same order, but basically like this. I can make some videos and examples of this, if you don't believe me. But it really was so random.
Just from your example, RH tires and max downforce vs RS tires and max downforce:

With the RS tires, your are probably entering the straight at a higher speed due to the extra grip through the esses to get there. At that point you are already going faster than using RH and still accelerating at the same point on the track.

But again, video would help...

Sorry for the late reply.
And sorry, I didn't know that the screen capture records our talk as well. It's in Estonian anyway, so ..

Anyway, went to Stage Route X or whatever, played with the controller and AT gearbox.

With racing softs, the top speed, whatever the aero is, is 290 km/h. With racing hard, 325 km/h

Here's the video:

What should I use in online races? Start with hards and swap to softs during the race?

Last edited:
@Rajareits This thread caught my interest and the result shown in your video is indeed confusing.
I was certain there would be a simple answer, but I couldn't figure out what it was.
So I decided to open up a lobby and test it for myself.

(Spoiler!) It turns out there wasn't a simple answer (atleast not one I could find) - My test gave similar result as yours, and left me even more confused than before.

00:25 - BoP On, Settings Prohibited =290kph
01:00 - Settings On, Min Downforce, Default Ride Height =290kph
01:50 - Min Downforce, Max Ride Height =330+kph
Now to the really confusing part:
02:25 - Min Downforce, Default Ride Height (again) =330kph
03:10 - BoP On, Settings Prohibited (again) =290kph

Run 2 & 4 has identical setup but the result show a 40 kph diffrence in top speed ?!?!?
Most likely, something goes wrong somewhere when the game calculates the settings.
Sorry for not finding an answer. I'll have to leave it to someone smarter.

Thank you!
I'm not alone.

I now understand that I need to "go to the track" several times before the race to get the best setup, basically by chance. No need for making a good setup I suppose.

AS far as I've experienced, it's only with the 919.
I can imagine though, that there could be more. It's just more difficult to understand if a Civic or some slower car has it's tune changed randomly.
All-in-all, I definitely won't laugh at anybody saying that their cars drive differently from day-to-day anymore.. :)

I do hope the guys making the game are reading the forums once in a while.

Last edited:
LOL I've been complaining over a year about this bug...

When BoP on - tuning on:
Check your car in; set your setup; go on track and start, go off track again, go change brake balance; go back; go change brake balance again; go back on track and then you can start the race and expect to have your setup loaded as you've intended.

No BoP and tuning on: Red cross before you go on track after you've made changes.

What happens with BoP on tuning onn or when you don't log out before going on track or making changes is:
You start with normal gear ratio
You set long gear ratio ----------- nothing changed
You set short ratio------------long ratio is loaded
You set random ratio-----------short ratio is loaded
You set brake balance or df------------------BB and random ratio is loaded
Yoiu set BB----------BB and df is loaded

It's usually a step behind in loading your changes, but not always.

It's super frustrating to play this game competitive with tuning enabled when this is going on.

I have video proof of everything and the second BB change is to be sure, usually it's loaded after the first BB change.

do this

I gave the transmission as an example with BoP on/tuning on, but you cannot change that then.

The bug applies to downforce, suspension, gearbox and maybe diff, flywheel, shaft,...

I haven't fully tested it yet in single player, but there it seems to work as it should.

Since this only affects public lobbies, my guess it is here to stay. Another guess is that this bug is the result from when there was the other bug where you could drive at higher actual pp in pp-limited races. I think the brake balance that does adjust has been manually fixed in the aftermath of fixing that pp-bug, but idk.

Last edited:
Back