BoP Subaru BRZ Gr.3 slow?

• Thread starter Dontimawa
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
Dontimawa
Please watch my race and help confirm whether it's the car or its just really my inputs that's slow. Kept getting passed. Cant get slipstream. Couldnt get a good qualifier, always 2:04 amidst the majority 2:02-2:03 playerd. Using TM T150 (just in case there's pedal issues idk about.) Oil changed. No assists, just weak ABS. Thank you.

I've driven this car probably more than any other in GT7 so am quite familiar with its strengths and weaknesses.

It's a car that is very track-dependent, though Suzuka should be one of the better ones for it. Kyoto's endless parade of long corners is BRZ heaven, while Daytona and all of its slow stop-and-go corners is at the negative end of the scale.

The BRZ's strengths are sweeping and high-speed corners (and tyre wear, though not relevant to this race) due to having class-leading aero. It has pretty good fifth and sixth gears when you stretch its legs but is very poor on low-speed acceleration. Due to this it also has an unfortunate weakness on rolling starts, which often means you lose a position before you get to T1.

So at Suzuka, it should be making up its time through the esses and coming round and out of Spoon/130R, but will struggle exiting the hairpin and Casio Triangle and thus isn't great at following/overtaking as dirty air affects the parts of the track it is best at more than for other cars.

Thanks for that reply. That somehow gave me relief. Knowing thay i just have to make driving improvements on certain sectora of the track is better than not knowing that im actually being slowed down by a technical matter.

being slowed down by a technical matter.
BoP is quite a technical thing though.
The cars dont all have similar acceleration or top speed, or handling, tyre wear (and fuel consumption, though this doesnt really matter in sport mode I guess).
On tracks with a large part for speed, you will see more cars at the top that have the better speed advantage.
On other tracks you will see other cars that can show their performance on cornering.

To blow things into perspective:
On Special Stage Route X with BoP enabled, you can see the difference in speed (and if enabled consumption at full throttle, which is quite different from real track consumption). The Peugeot VGT us a beast of a different dimension for this track alone, but this really comes at the cost of the pit crew doing the most refuelling.

Looking back at the video, i noticed that all the other cars seem to match or keep up with my BRZ through the corners. Of course, it is possible that they're all better drivers than me. But when you watch how everyone exits or chases me, they seem to have so much more speed. For me to balance out the difference would mean that i should be cornering faster than i did, which right now is kinda difficult for me to process in my head, since i know ive been pushing the car as hard as ive figured i could (and as safely as i must). If someone please take a look and see maybe ive been doing it wrong through the corners (shifting, braking, accelerating). Then compare that to, for example, how another car who just recovered in front of me from a mistake still out-accelerate me and leave me behind easily on a straight.

If someone please take a look and see maybe ive been doing it wrong through the corners (shifting, braking, accelerating).
You could use this as an example of how a BRZ can manage to pull away, though here it really was helpful for them to be the only starter on medium tyres

At this point all of them were in IM, that would be the clostest "direct comparision" within the circumstances possible

In the end though, the BRZ did finish 2nd, I havent followed up on any after race coverage of what exactly happened, but during the race it looked like the 3rd driver was taking it too careful for the vast lead they had before and didnt realize the Porsche coming in on hot laps.

Looking back at the video, i noticed that all the other cars seem to match or keep up with my BRZ through the corners. Of course, it is possible that they're all better drivers than me. But when you watch how everyone exits or chases me, they seem to have so much more speed. For me to balance out the difference would mean that i should be cornering faster than i did, which right now is kinda difficult for me to process in my head, since i know ive been pushing the car as hard as ive figured i could (and as safely as i must). If someone please take a look and see maybe ive been doing it wrong through the corners (shifting, braking, accelerating). Then compare that to, for example, how another car who just recovered in front of me from a mistake still out-accelerate me and leave me behind easily on a straight.
I only watched a few laps, but it seems to me that you could work a bit on your lines, sometimes you stay quite far from the apex which means your corners are effectively longer than everyone else’s. It also looks like you lose time on upshifts, try shifting up a bit sooner and don’t wait for the rpm indicator to start flashing.

I would rather look for the fault in myself than in the car.
Of course there are differences between the cars, but they are rarely of several seconds.

So a little tip, take a look at the videos of the top drivers. (You can do this directly in the game in the training rankings)
Look for the best driver with the Subaru, you can also learn a lot like which gear for which curve and where do they accelerate again and at what speed do they get into and through the curve.

I think you brake too much, shift gears too low and are late on the gas.
But you have a good consistency.

Last edited:
It also looks like you lose time on upshifts, try shifting up a bit sooner and don’t wait for the rpm indicator to start flashing.
Tried shifting earlier (about 95% of center arc rev gauge) and it helped shave off some time. I will try and figure out the math (or philosophy lol) behind and see how. Thank you.
I would rather look for the fault in myself than in the car.
I agree. I was just getting kinda lost as to why im completely out of pace with "all" of the other drivers wherein i should be evenly matched with. Even considered maybe its my T150 which i recalibrated on the game settings recently before the race (maybe it lowered max accel input, not sure and hope not).

i wanted to rule out the car fault so that i can focus on the other aspects. But if somebody else out there notice the same "feeling" then hopefully they can help pinpoint the cause.

I didn't feel like there was much drafting to be had at Suzuka when I ran the race. I relied on passing people late on the brakes in to turns 1 and 2 then into the hairpin and out of spoon. I think my fastest laps were in the 2:04's as well. It was an okay race, but I had a much more fun/competitive race at Fuji this last week in the Gr.4 cars.

Tried shifting earlier (about 95% of center arc rev gauge) and it helped shave off some time. I will try and figure out the math (or philosophy lol) behind and see how. Thank you.
Usually the power curve drops a bit at the end. The flashing indicates that you’re about to hit the rev limiter - it doesn’t indicate the optimal shift point. If you go to the tuning screen and check the power curve you can get a good idea about where it’s most beneficial to shift gears.

For races with fuel consumption enabled it’s also good to know that the fuel efficiency decreases a lot once you go past peak power. Fuel efficiency is roughly proportional to the torque output of the engine and the torque drops a lot when you go past the peak power output.

Found the problem. My gas pedal potentiometer might be dirty and needs cleaning or replacement.

Made a video for you to see.

Thanks everyone for trying to help out. Appreciate it. ♥️

Just watched a tiny bit, what I saw is you're not using the full track width. You're getting close to the inside at the apex but trying toi hard to keep the car from sliding across the track and going off the outside. Also, check the power band on the BRZ. You want your shift points to be where peak torque begins to drop off.
For a good demonstration of the cornering technique, go try the Spa CE. You must take Eau Rouge, Radillon, and Blanchimont at full throttle. Don't try that just yet, familiarize yourself with the track. Or you can go run the 1 hour Spa race in the Gr 3 Porsche, you'll learn Spa real quick that way. Now start experimenting with Blanchimont. If you have the F1500 T/A or the MP 4/4, use it. Just after the penalty line and the first left, guide the car to the right so that your right hand tires are on the curb and throttle is wide open. When you enter the braking zone, cut your wheel HARD to the left, do NOT hit the brakes and do NOT let off the gas. The formula cars will corner on rails, showing you the correct line and speed. Now hop into the 911 RSR you used for the CE and do it again the same way. The first few times you will wind up in the grass. Keep trying til you nail it.
Now let's go back to College, the wide chicane roughly halfway through Spa. Ignore the line here. After the right hand turn, during the short straight, hug the outside curb. As soon as you get close to the left handed, cut HARD and punch it. This earns you an extra half second or so at full throttle towards Paul Friere. Don't brake too hard here, instead, move to the left, cut Paul Friere down to the inner curb, slip left again, cut Stavelot to the inner curb, then smash all the way to the chicane. Once you master this you'll be cutting 2:23.0 laps in the 911, or any Group 3 or tuned road car for that matter.
Now we go back to the beginning. At Eau Rouge you're faced with a left right left before the Kemmel straight. The 911 can enter Kemmel at 242 kph. Incidentally this same combo is mirrored on Sardegna Road A on the east side, and the same technique works there.
As you approach Eau Rouge, hug the right hand wall. Cut the wheel hard left and insert the car into Eau Rouge with your wheels on the left curb. Do not hit the brake. As soon as you enter this, cut hard right and keep the gas pedal flat. The car will slow down a bit and then pick right back up. You will appear to drive over a wide curb on the left side of Radillon. At Sardegna you do have to brake a bit after the initial right hander, but the braking time is microscopic. If you do it right it'll seem that you're about to hit the right hand guard rail. You may go onto the curb a bit. Mastering all three of these techniques will get you lap times in the 2:19 range, earning gold on the CE and confidence everywhere else.
On multiple S turns it's crucial that the slowest part is the first turn, then you build from there. As long as two of your tires are inside the line, you're in bounds. If the other two are on something dry and solid, you're good to go. You must enter each of the turns on the outside even if you have to sacrifice a bit of speed.
Anyway, go back to Spa for a while, run the race there, and take it flat from Le Source to Les Combes, then again from Stavelot to the chicane. Get used to thinking the car will fly off track. Get used to exactly how much you can push it, it's way more than you know.
The 911 RSR is good for this for its high grip, low top speed, and the fact it's used in the CE. Trust me, once you get this down, despite being a bit slow, that Porsche will pass everything but a gas station. If you want to pass that, switch to the e-tron, you'll pass everything but a wall socket.

Last edited:
Back