Borderlands the Movie.

• Thread starter Maccer_42
  • 3 comments
United Kingdom
England
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/borderlands-videogame-movie-lionsgate-1201580303/

So there's a Borderlands movie in the works, Borderlands franchise is one of my favourites so this movie interests me and I'll end up watching it regardless how bad it might suck.

I am sceptical of how this movie will turn out though, so much of what made the Borderlands games popular and fun to play were the gameplay elements and not so much the narrative behind it. The loot and shoot spectacle of it all, teaming up with friends and taking on raid bosses for that 'lootspolsion' and I really don't see how any of these elements will translate into an hour and a half movie.

The cell shaded look as well, if they don't find a way to recreate that cell shaded effect that Borderlands is so famous for it really wont feel anything like Borderlands.
If you take all that away all you are left with is this Sci Fi, Action Hero, Mad Max type clone and it could come off bad... Real bad.

It's too early to judge yet though, very little details have emerged, nothing about the plot, setting, characters etc, and until they do its all merely speculation, I'm just trying maintain the attitude of "expect it to suck and anything above that will impress me".

too early to judge

...Yep.

This whole thing probably came about because of the recent Mad Max movie's critical success, no doubt.

We'll see what happens in two, three years time whether this was just some studio executive having a meltdown or a genuine thing. :indiff:

I would be fine with it being Mad Max with more humor, more and bigger guns, more and bigger explosions, and over the top craziness with midgets and robots and boner farts and monsters and...

JUST BRING ON.

The cell-shading shouldn't be a problem with rotoscoping - okay, not a particularly popular style amongst directors, but it is as immediately striking as the cell-shading effect.

Personally, what with the Ratchet & Clank film being a re-working of the first game(s) and a game coming out in connection with that, plus the timing - I think plot-wise we will possibly see a tie-in to Borderlands 3: the timing just seems right.

Back