Bots in Shooter Games

• Thread starter JoshMead
  • 1 comments

Do you think bots should make a comeback in the shooter market?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Canada
Canada
Stormer248
Phendrax248
Stumbled upon this old video on YouTube, and it struck a chord with me.
(Note: singular curse word at 8:03)

Bots are something I've always enjoyed in games, in fact they're the bulk of my experience in racing games, a genre in which they still have a significant presence, and will likely never disappear from. In the first and third person shooter genres however, they've become increasingly scarce, with few games including them at all. Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Gears of War 5 being the only recent releases that comes to mind.
This is mainly due to the industry's shift in direction towards the online competitive scene, along with its finite "buy our new product every 1-2 years" business model, and the apparent difficulty of implementing good bots in a modern game. And this seems to be all well and good for most people, as I rarely ever see this topic brought up. But I have to wonder how many people miss bots, or would at least like to have them as optional offline content as means of still playing the game when it eventually goes offline forever. Whether they be a means of practice, or a way to keep the game alive indefinitely, I see no reason not to have them. Though there are those who feel strongly against it, seeing bots as a crutch for less talented competition, and a means of watering down the intensity of their perfect competitive online experience.

Still, I can't help but reminisce over Killzone's Botzone, Halo's Firefight, or Unreal Tournament's Instant Action. Nor can I stop grieving over the loss of games I once enjoyed like Planetside 1, Dust 514, or MAG, whilst worrying about the future of online-focused games I play now.

I played PUBG about everyday since it was released on PS4. I haven’t touched it since they added bots a week or two ago. Good idea for some games but terrible for others.

Back