Bottoming Out

• Thread starter Tagger
  • 5 comments
Craig.Kast
Tagger68
Can someone describe how a car behaves in GT5P when it is put into a "bottom out" attitude? By bottoming out I mean having the ride height set too low for the suspension setup which would prevent the car from traveling vertically through the range of the spring setting versus the damper settings and ride height. Will the car simply become non-responsive negotiating a turn and experience understeer? This may seem like a dumb question and I think what I've written describes what would happen. And, I'm looking for some confirmation from our experts. On the other hand if I'm off-base, please correct me. Thanks in advance.

Yes "bottoming out" your suspension in-game has consequences as it does in real life.:) As you said:
Tagger
By bottoming out I mean having the ride height set too low for the suspension setup which would prevent the car from traveling vertically through the range of the spring setting
bottoming out essentially means 'no more downward travel'. This is caused by incorrect and unsuitable ride height for that Vehicle, or that the ride hide(be it reduced or not) is achievable but the Springs and other suspension components required to match are not installed in the Vehicle. Real life tuners when making adjustments to the ride height, also change or adjust suspension components such as the Springs and Shock absorbers(amoung other things) to suit.👍 The suitable springs should have the correct travel to prevent unwanted effects like bottoming out.
Consequences of this apart from the obvious damage that could be occuring between the components being 'bottomed' are an incorrect weight shift and distribution, this being ultimately the result of multiple adverse effects caused by inadequate Suspension which inccurs such things as 'bottoming out'.
For a more indepth explanation of Springs and travel components, refer to this post: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3146776&postcount=8
Hope this helps;)
Rusty*

Last edited:
Let me just make sure here, bottoming out can be when the car may physically have enough room between the road and under belly without scraping, but the springs have compressed to a solid height therefore unable to compress any further?

Let me just make sure here, bottoming out can be when the car may physically have enough room between the road and under belly without scraping, but the springs have compressed to a solid height therefore unable to compress any further?
Yeah sure:tup:, multiple things can be 'bottomed out', probably the most commonly observed form of this is the body of the Car coming in contact with the Road when refering to racing, however on the street you will most likely see another form which is where the body 'bottoms onto the tyres, this is usually attributed to inadequate inner-guard clearances.:) This is something that must be taken into consideration when lowering your Vehicles ride height.;) Also regarding 'bottomed out' springs commonly known as 'Coil bind' is also a form of 'bottoming out', where the result stays the same, no more downward travel of any kind can be refered to as 'bottoming out'.
Rusty*

Back