[bought and delivered] Thinking about buying a KIA.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike0105
  • 54 comments
  • 3,822 views
I can't go bigger (Mondeo, Passat etc) as it has to fit in the garage. I could go smaller I suppose.

The thought occurred - the Fiesta ECOnetic, for instance, would soundly sponk the Kia in pretty much everything except size. But if you require a Focusy-sized thing, I wouldn't suggest it.

Have you thought Japanese? The Corolla or whatever fruity name they gave its successor is as interesting as a lecture on beige by Phil Neville, but the Mazda 3 has a reputation for being a more fun Focus. I tend not to dwell in the world of diesel family cars so I'm batting outside my wicket at this point - I suspect Honda and Toyota fill this segment with hybrids (hybrids get good residuals... could be worth a glance?) and Mitsubishi don't even bother any more since the Startling Lack of Carisma, though the Colt in the sector below is a giggle I'm told.
 
Could get a Peugeot 308 or Citroën C4 HDI for the money, but can't say I'm overly keen on them. Might have a look though.

The 308's about as good as it looks, to be honest. The C4's not bad, handles fairly well, quite well refined and looks vaguely interesting too. I mean it's not a Focus, but then nothing is.

...except the Mazda 3, obviously.

The 1.6 diesel that lives in the 308 and C4 is excellent, though. Refined, not what I'd call sluggish, and driven properly gives you eleventymillion MPG. But that's not to say it's a French-car-only deal - you'll also find it in the Focus, 3, V40, SX4, Cooper D... and of course Famine's gear-change-suggesting-eco-nannying-Fiesta has it too. Happily they also stick it in the Zetec and Titanium, which don't have slightly messed up gearing or a leaf stamped on the bootlid.
 
I'd stay away from the Astra, mainly because it's a Vauxhall. And whilst Vauxhall no longer necessarily means it'll be a bad car, it will immediately associate you with every other Vauxhall-driving dipstick on the road, which is a bad thing. Vauxhall drivers are like Audi drivers without the IQ to get a job to get the money to buy an Audi...
 
I saw a fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Tdci, but it's only 90bhp though it is economical.

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't seen many good C4's for sale, but might hunt harder. If I can find a 2.0HDI that might just tick the boxes!
 
I saw a fiesta Zetec S 1.6 Tdci, but it's only 90bhp though it is economical.

S'all you need in a Fiesta really, though I'd say that the performance isn't in keeping with the way the Zetec S looks.

And by the way it looks I of course mean terrible.
 
S'all you need in a Fiesta really, though I'd say that the performance isn't in keeping with the way the Zetec S looks.

And by the way it looks I of course mean terrible.

Yes, the diesel is the car that doesn't even try to outrun ugly...
 
This would all be so much easier if Skoda had released a new diesel Fabia VRS. Stupid flappy paddle gearbox and petrol only. The old one was so good.
 
If you're looking for a spiritual successor SEAT almost certainly do a reasonably powerful version of the Ibiza TDI. From memory it has around 140bhp which is a little more than the old Fabia vRS. And I've always thought the 3dr Ibiza is a nice looking car. I'm sure it's available in colours other than bright yellow too!
 
The Ibiza FR 2.0 TDI is a little pricey though. Cheapest is around £13 on autotrader, they are still to new. Nice though.

If I was after a company car to pay the initial cost I would be looking at one. 61MPG and 140bhp will do nicely.
 
Last edited:
Couldn't you get a Zetec S Fiesta in your area for around that price? Maybe even another hot hatch like a Citroen, Peugeot, or Mini?

I'm not from the area so I'm not very well versed on the auto-market there, but those are some other suggestions you could possibly look into..
 
The '06 Spectra in my garage is still working wonderfully... It was fairly cheap for the highest trim to already have a ton of accessories that is all add-ons with Japanese cars.

Only strange thing with this one ride though is that the rear brake pads wear out a lot quicker than the ones in the front.
 
The Ibiza FR 2.0 TDI is a little pricey though. Cheapest is around £13 on autotrader, they are still to new. Nice though.

If I was after a company car to pay the initial cost I would be looking at one. 61MPG and 140bhp will do nicely.

Ah right, had a feeling it might be a little much but thought I'd throw it out there. Ties for most powerful diesel supermini on sale with the MINI Cooper SD at the moment.

There's always the option of getting one of the 1.6 diesel versions and throwing a remap at it...
 
Mhmmm... remaps. Once drove a Focus with a remap, meth-injection, an intercooler and an exhaust (yeah, I drive a lot of Focii... I'm a member of the local Ford Club)... thing was nuts. Went from 0-CEL in 0.5 seconds. :lol: Spun up tires in the first two gears... first three, maybe, if it didn't have aftermarket wheels and tires.

Still batting with my Dad to sell me his Focus. 40+ mpg and a top speed of well over 220 km/h? Yes, please.
 
I'd remap my own car if it was that simple, but alas, I'm not rich enough to spend £300 on the map plus £300-500 extra on insurance per year. I have looked into this already.

There is also the risk that things go bang (clutch, flywheel, gearbox etc etc) it might be a small risk, but it's still there.
 
It depends on the quality of the map. Best is a map custom-programmed for your car... but that, understandably, costs more money.

For me, it's not a big deal... but given the price of labor over there... I can see why you'd be hesitant.

Still... it's the single best mod you can do to a diesel.
 
Little update, not much really, but i'm going to take a drive over and take a look at the KIA and get an idea about trade-in prices tomorrow. All being well and if the numbers stack up, I will have a good think about getting one (as you may have noticed, I don't like to rush into these things, which drives the missus up the wall;)).

Have yet to find a good reason not to buy a KIA though, except for a tiny bit of turbo lag on 2.0 (can't be worse than what I'm already used to!) and in this case, the age of the car.

If anyone still cares I'll update my views and compare to the Fiat after the test drive.

Decisions.... decisions ...
 
Little update, not much really, but i'm going to take a drive over and take a look at the KIA and get an idea about trade-in prices tomorrow. All being well and if the numbers stack up, I will have a good think about getting one (as you may have noticed, I don't like to rush into these things, which drives the missus up the wall;)).

Have yet to find a good reason not to buy a KIA though, except for a tiny bit of turbo lag on 2.0 (can't be worse than what I'm already used to!) and in this case, the age of the car.

If anyone still cares I'll update my views and compare to the Fiat after the test drive.

Decisions.... decisions ...

FIATs are awesome. Buy one.
 
Mr. CoolFiat
FIATs are awesome. Buy one.

I've already got one! I have a 2007 Bravo Multijet 120, which is getting on a bit now, hence looking at replacements.

Not too sure about the direction they are going in though, the next Bravo will be 'radical' and the Evo is a step back from the GP looks wise. Plus the new model based on the Dodge Journey does not inspire confidence.

I agree that Fiat's right now are awesome though. Been a member if Fiat forum for 2 years and the seem like a good bunch with good knowledge and a helpful attitude.
 
too bad us Yanks can't give an opinion; "deisel car" is still a bit of an oxymoron over here, and I think we get a completely different set of cars than the EDM.
 
Sniffs
too bad us Yanks can't give an opinion; "deisel car" is still a bit of an oxymoron over here, and I think we get a completely different set of cars than the EDM.

I believe you do, but the new Ford Focus is the same all over the world, maybe this is a sign that the US will move more towards economical, Euro and Asain styles.

Having said that, Euro engines for the Focus will be more small displacement and turbo charged, US models will retain larger NA such as the 2.0. Most Euro models will be diesel or base spec petrol.
 
no, I meant asian cars. it took gran turismo for them to haul models over here without rebadging them to luxury cars. Ford doesn't count
 
Little update, not much really, but i'm going to take a drive over and take a look at the KIA and get an idea about trade-in prices tomorrow. All being well and if the numbers stack up, I will have a good think about getting one (as you may have noticed, I don't like to rush into these things, which drives the missus up the wall;)).

Have yet to find a good reason not to buy a KIA though, except for a tiny bit of turbo lag on 2.0 (can't be worse than what I'm already used to!) and in this case, the age of the car.

If anyone still cares I'll update my views and compare to the Fiat after the test drive.

Decisions.... decisions ...

Check the condition of the engine. Black smoke is not much... may mean a clogged EGR, which is an easy fix... but feelings of sluggishness without the smoke might mean the injectors are on the way out. Injectors expensive. Luckily, I've seen Hyundai Kia injectors last over 300,000 kms with good maintenance and clean fuel.

Those variable geometry turbos are sensitive to poor maintenance. If the previous owner was an idiot who didn't understand the concept of warming up and cooling down, they can go south VERY quickly. And they're a pain to replace. Of course... this is going by the example of the 1.6 CRDi, which is very popular here. Your mileage may vary.

Everything else is a minor inconvenience.
 
Last edited:
Big update, have bought the KIA. Drove very nicely and insurance wasn't much more that the Fiat. Overall I'm chuffed, I can only see KIA going up and up in the automotive world.

The car is up to showroom standard and looks good in black. Similar to an Audi A3 from certain angles.

In comparison to the Fiat, it has much smoother power delivery and is more refined that the old 1.9 Multijet. Both are very good, but the KIA is more relaxed. Quicker too, but with 20bhp and 37 lb/ft more, you'd expect it to be.

Being the sport spec, it has leather and all the usual toys, climate, cruise and iPod connection. The armrest is spot on, right size and positioning. My Fiat's armrest is a little small and set to far back.

It does have a firm ride, not uncomfortable, but firmer that what I'm used to.

Overall, I really please with it and can't wait to pick it up on Wednesday evening.

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts on this one, really helped the decision making. :)
 
Last edited:
Ahh the smell of a brand new car, ranked among the 10 best perfumes in the world. :D

Congrats.
 
Have picked it up now, am very pleased with it! Very smooth and comfortable to drive. Handles well and is plenty quick enough. Had a good drive home in it (40 miles). Even he girlfriend likes it (biggest brand snob I know!) and said it was 'silky' to drive. I think she likes it more than her Golf, but won't admit it.

Thanks for all the views and thoughts!
 
Back