• Thread starter Pete05
  • 11 comments

Pete05

Premium
Australia
Melbourne, Australia
image.jpg

image.jpg

An evolution of the very successful BT8, the BT17 was the only Group 7 sportscar produced by Brabham.

Ron Tauranac had no great love of Sports cars because the design was compromised by the bodywork which he had no control over. Had the team devoted the resources to make this car a winner, Brabham Racing may well have created the equivalent of the Lola T70. An interesting case of what might have been.
The unreliability of the 4.3 litre Repco engine let them down, the focus shifted to the new 3 litre Formula One & a highly successful Formula Two season with the Honda engined BT18.
The car had a fairly brief competition history. It raced at Oulton Park in the 1966 Tourist Trophy, the International Trophy at Silverstone & Brands Hatch in the August Bank Holiday meeting.

Engine
Repco 620

Type
90 degree V8

Bore
88.9 mm

Stroke
60.3 mm

Capacity
2994 cc

Power
315 BHP @ 7100 rpm

Fuel feed
Lucas Fuel Injection

Chassis
Tubular spaceframe

Gearbox
Hewland 5 speed manual

* Bonus points if you can identify the tow vehicle in the top photo :D

Thankyou K. Glad you like.

I've chosen the significant & standout models from a very large range.

No thanks at all Pete ... Brabham racing cars and Sir Brabham itself were both very significant for the Formula 1.
So keep going with your collection, you always get my vote.
👍

No thanks at all Pete ... Brabham racing cars and Sir Brabham itself were both very significant for the Formula 1.
So keep going with your collection, you always get my vote.
👍
Always appreciated :cheers:

Thanks Aero 👍

I hope the Taxi is running like a dream and the traffic isn't too bad.

I think I have identified the car on the picture :P It's a Holden EH Panel van :)

Haha, the Taxi is running but not like a dream unfortunately, it's a Transit van and had a too small engine :P The traffic is not a worry in my home town :P Thanks

I think I have identified the car on the picture :P It's a Holden EH Panel van :)

Haha, the Taxi is running but not like a dream unfortunately, it's a Transit van and had a too small engine :P The traffic is not a worry in my home town :P Thanks
Bonus points on top of bonus points awarded for the correct answer on the Tow vehicle.
I was most surprised to see a Holden Panel Van in the UK. The team must've needed the torque of a 6 cylinder as the interior carrying capacity would've been less than a contempary Transit.

Speaking of Transits. I too have had the 'pleasure' of driving one for work & I must say, very nice when it was new, rolling disaster waiting to happen once you get a few miles on them. I feel your pain ;)

Bonus points on top of bonus points awarded for the correct answer on the Tow vehicle.
I was most surprised to see a Holden Panel Van in the UK. The team must've needed the torque of a 6 cylinder as the interior carrying capacity would've been less than a contempary Transit.

Speaking of Transits. I too have had the 'pleasure' of driving one for work & I must say, very nice when it was new, rolling disaster waiting to happen once you get a few miles on them. I feel your pain ;)

I can understand your surprise to see that car in UK :)

It was indeed a pleasure to drive these horrible things called, it hurts to say, cars, mine is one year old and has a ineffective 140 hp diesel engine and a useless 6-speed manual gearbox with a too low 1st gear and too high 2nd gear :P = 140T300 Trend :P I am grievingmy old M-B Sprinter 316 CDI automatic Long (6,5m) :P

I can understand your surprise to see that car in UK :)

It was indeed a pleasure to drive these horrible things called, it hurts to say, cars, mine is one year old and has a ineffective 140 hp diesel engine and a useless 6-speed manual gearbox with a too low 1st gear and too high 2nd gear :P = 140T300 Trend :P I am grievingmy old M-B Sprinter 316 CDI automatic Long (6,5m) :P
The Transit I had to drive only had a 5 speed. 1st was wheelspin city & 2nd was turbo lag territory.
It had 350Nm at around 2000rpm but felt like an enthusiastic Kombi under that. Roundabouts were fun in the wet let me say. Here comes the boost & there goes the traction.
It's obvious we weren't driving the same model as Sabine Schmidt on the Top Gear episode.

The Transit I had to drive only had a 5 speed. 1st was wheelspin city & 2nd was turbo lag territory.
It had 350Nm at around 2000rpm but felt like an enthusiastic Kombi under that. Roundabouts were fun in the wet let me say. Here comes the boost & there goes the traction.
It's obvious we weren't driving the same model as Sabine Schmidt on the Top Gear episode.
Haha I have the same experience like you in the roundabouts :P Na, but the cassis likes curvy country roads for some reason :P hehe she had some fun in the predecessor :P It was fun to talking with you but I think we can
continue in a conversation :D

Back