Bracket Circuit Racing (New Form of Racing)

• Thread starter im2fst4u
  • 1 comments
Canada
Saskatchewan
im2fst4u55
Hello guys I have been working on this for a while and I think it is time to reveal it!

So, what is Bracket Circuit Racing? (BCR)

• Inspired by the bracket racing from drag racing my goal was to make something that could be done on a circuit. The second goal was to make something fun, and competitive for racers and I believe I have fulfilled these goals and more.
  • Bracket Circuit Racing a form of racing that uses circuits on a track (ie laps) combined with formulas derived from lap times to calculate a score. This form of racing allows for better analysis of how a driver is performing, while also providing a new way to compete with other drivers.
How does it work?

• The calculator I've created finds out how efficient of a driver you are, ie. how well your making the most of your car for the racetrack you are on.

• It takes your fastest lap (The "Bracket") and sets it as the goal for lap times. The closer you stay to your fastest lap (bracket) the better your score will be.

• The calculations are done after a race is finished; Bracket Circuit Racing can be run alongside a standard Circuit race. This provides a second winner with BCR. (which is not always the overall race winner)
  • Using the lap data from a race you can calculate the BCRS (Bracket Circuit Racing Score). I have simplified it so all you need to do is enter each of your race laps into the calculator. The calculator will find your BCRS and give you a number, the closer that number is to zero the better your score. You can then compare scores to see who did the best.
Why would I want to participate?

• Allows you to figure out how well you've been racing compared to your competitors even if you have a slower racecar.
  • Allows cars of any speed to compete against another. F1 car vs commuter car is possible. The only constant needed is the racetrack.

• Gives a new way to gauge how good your favorite driver is compared to the competition.

• Drives you to race harder and more consistently, be as fast as you can be all the time.

• It's fun! I've done all the initial testing needed and it has been enjoyed by all involved.

• Easy to incorporate/run alongside with races

• Allows for unlimited class racing; no need to regulate what cars are capable of.
How can I try it out?

I have a Web Demo (simple but limited) or a Excel Demo (Complicated but full function)
Warning: This form is in the developmental stage and can show you how it is supposed to work.

Web Demo

https://form.jotform.com/43238011957252

Limits to Web Demo

• You can enter a maximum of 11 laps into the calculator.
  • The data is 100% correct until the submit button is clicked. There is a problem with this function. (I am looking for a web programmer to fix this issue. Let me know if you can help)
  • So in this case, DO NOT click submit. The submissions are sent to me and cost me money for each submission; I have a limited amount of submissions that can be done.
  • The Grace Lap function is working so feel free to play with that as well.
  • If you run into any issues please let me know in this post
Excel Demo
  • This is a fully functional, can be extended to any amount of laps calculator.
  • Is more complicated to use, you will need Excel experience to operate it fully. (instructions contained)
  • If you would like to receive a copy of this please PM me your Email and I can give you a copy.
Other things to know about Bracket Circuit Racing

Grace Laps

• I have also created a Grace Lap function. It removes your slowest laps from the race to give you a better score. (BCRGS) This is useful to remove pit in/out laps and/or the odd bad lap. So if you had a mistake a the beginning of the race the grace laps can prove you were still driving well throughout the rest of the race.
  • The more Grace laps counted decreases the difficulty to get a good score. So if you have no Grace laps this is the hardest way to race. (no mistakes removed)

• You can calculate this as you wish, ie. take a percentage of laps out of each drivers race or take a pre-defined number of laps.
Ex. 1: 70 lap race (percentage calculation)
-(15%) 64 fastest laps out of 75 count in scoring (11 Grace Laps) - More laps=Easier
-(5%) 70 fastest laps out of 75 count in scoring (5 Grace Laps) - Less laps=Harder

Ex. 2. 70 lap race (Pre defined # of laps)
-Racer A finished 75 laps gets his 7 slowest laps removed from scoring
-Racer B finished 69 laps gets his 7 slowest laps removed but this leaves him at a disadvantage; the more laps you finish evens out your laps better, making your other mistakes lessened.
As a general rule: More laps finished the better your score will be.

• In Spec racing there must have at least one lap to use for Grace laps.
  • ex. 70 lap race, 10% grace, racer must finish 63 of 70 laps or DQ from scoring
  • Or there is no DQ at all (if agreed upon), you receive Grace laps based on how many laps were finished. ex. 63 Laps Raced, 10% grace, 63x10%=6.3 ∴ 6 laps of GRACE
  • In multi-class racing with time limits the percentage calculation is better, as the amount of laps used for Grace is dependent on how many laps were finished by the driver
Interesting Facts
  • Each race track will have a range of scores racers will achieve. The more difficult the track is to race the higher the overall scores will be because the track is harder to stay consistent on, you make more mistakes. Oval tracks gets scores usually below 1 because they are easy to be consistent. Road Courses will get scores over 1 usually. But scores will remain generally consistent to a track.
  • Slow car vs Fast car each has an advantage. Slow cars are generally easier to stay consistent with around a track and fast cars have a smaller room for error; mistakes are more pronounced. Fast cars make smaller lap time numbers, which calculates better. (I need some testers to help this theory)
  • Allows for unlimited class racing; no need to regulate what cars are capable of.
Current Goals for Bracket Circuit Racing
  • Get the Web form fixed. This way any racer can use it and get data sent back to them. If you have any expertise is Web forms particularly a problem with calculations changing after a submit button is clicked I would greatly appreciate the help

• Once the form is fixed the next step is a website. The website goals are; user maintained, track details and leaderboards, easier calculation for long races/more racers (Form updates), ease of checking who is making great scores on a race track to facilitate underdogs becoming noticed by bigger race teams, groups and clubs. etc. This all requires investment of users whether it is financially or time. It will be a free website run on donations. (No profit for me) This is for racers, by racers. I am up for any and all suggestions in this.

• Exploitation. This needs to be tested and refinements made to the calculation method if needed. The theory is someone will set a fastest lap time that isn't going at 100% capability so it is easier to get a good score. My theory is this is actually a harder way to race. Aiming for a specific lap time every time could prove much more difficult. Obviously this would be easy for an AI but not a human. I believe a racer can stay more consistent with their lap time by racing closer to the limit of what they and the car is capable of. This could bring some fun test results.

• Growth. This is all up to you guys. Let's start with some races in GT6, have fun with it. If Forza Project Cars, etc. can record lap times we can use them to race this way too. (Just watch replays in GT6 to get the data you need) I can provide the Excel form to anyone who wants to makes a BCR racing series of any sort. Maybe with some working together we can take this to national/worldwide level. Maybe even make it's own racing series that starts at the rookie, small town level all the way up to professional. It would be absolute coolest for this as a racer and spectator. This could bring in a new form of unlimited class racing that will actually allow unlimited technology to be put into cars again! The possibilities are great.

So if you have any way you'd like to help, or just have fun with this please do. I hope your as excited about this as I am.

Last edited:
Back