Brake assist?

• Thread starter Pilot625
  • 14 comments
United States
United States
This hasn’t been discussed in a long time on here. I did a search and 2021 is what I found.

I have all the assists turned off except ABS is set to weak. I cannot figure out how to not lock up in any turn. My equipment isn’t horrible. Fanatec CSL load cell. I have the pressure set to 80% in game. Which is where I generally push to without looking.

Regardless I always lock up. My lap times suffer. I can get to within 1000 of the top times in the dailies with ABS weak. So 1-2 seconds off the top depending on the car. Should I care? How does one get the feeling just before lock up or is my equipment just lacking for such a skill?

Last edited:
If you have ABS on then you shouldn’t lock up. You can still experience understeer under braking though, if that’s the case you’ll have to reduce the braking slightly.

I too have a CSL load cell and have never found a satisfactory ABS rumble setting. During the excitement of racing, there is just too much going on for me to recognize any rumbling occurring in the pedal. I think the little rumble motor is just too small and does not provide the amount of rumble you will get from a real car's ABS activation. I run ABS weak and only lock up when I try to brake too late.

I lock up without it on.
Can you provide a video of you locking up with ABS on? With ABS on weak or default it's nesr impossible to lock the wheels (unless you're on slicks tyres in the wet). I feel like what you're experiencing is something else, or something is being lost in translation.

Sorry for the confusion. I cannot find the point, without ABS, where I can brake just before lockup. I lock up without the assist everytime. I don’t feel the limit and then suddenly I’m sliding. So I turn on ABS weak. It’s the only assist setting I have on and cannot seem to figure out how to drive without ABS weak setting.

I know I’m not the greatest driver and the CSL load cell isn’t the greatest pedal so I’m wondering if this is just something I have to have on. I know I’m limiting myself in lap time however.

Wondering what others do with regards to braking without ABS. How do you know the point just before you start sliding?

Sorry for the confusion. I cannot find the point, without ABS, where I can brake just before lockup. I lock up without the assist everytime. I don’t feel the limit and then suddenly I’m sliding. So I turn on ABS weak. It’s the only assist setting I have on and cannot seem to figure out how to drive without ABS weak setting.

I know I’m not the greatest driver and the CSL load cell isn’t the greatest pedal so I’m wondering if this is just something I have to have on. I know I’m limiting myself in lap time however.

Wondering what others do with regards to braking without ABS. How do you know the point just before you start sliding?
Nearly everyone, including the top drivers, use ABS in GT7. Threshold braking is very poorly implemented in GT7 as the feeling between braking and locking up is near non-existent (as you described).

Using ABS won't be holding back your lap times.

Ok, thanks. I have not dived into other sim games other than F1. I’m guessing iracing, and the like, is much more realistic in terms of braking?

Last edited:
So I'm not sure how it differs with using a wheel+pedals on GT7, but I do drive cars that wouldn't have ABS without ABS on controller without too many issues. Main thing is to turn the tyre sounds up so you can tell when they're going to lock and running quite far rearwards brake bias. There's some cars which are just incredibly difficult to drive without ABS however and some that have weird brake bias ranges that also make things difficult. It's possible you could adjust the sensitivity of your pedals to figure it out better but otherwise it's just practice. Otherwise ABS will just make you faster and more consistent in GT7 compared to not running it, and a lot of the cars in game do run it in real life so you shouldn't feel bad about using it.

I love them but they are on the lower end of the price scale. So I assume to feel the nuance of the difference between braking at the limit and locking up is easier with higher end pedals.

I too have a CSL load cell and have never found a satisfactory ABS rumble setting. During the excitement of racing, there is just too much going on for me to recognize any rumbling occurring in the pedal. I think the little rumble motor is just too small and does not provide the amount of rumble you will get from a real car's ABS activation. I run ABS weak and only lock up when I try to brake too late.
Rumbling in the pedal?

What am I missing? There's no rumble motor in the CSL Load cell brake unless you've done a DIY one yourself and run it through SimHub on a PC.

I love them but they are on the lower end of the price scale. So I assume to feel the nuance of the difference between braking at the limit and locking up is easier with higher end pedals.

There's not much to do with the load cell pedal except making a before mentioned DIY rumble mod for it or maybe buying the rubber mods which gives you more travel.

Last edited:
Rumbling in the pedal?

What am I missing? There's no rumble motor in the CSL Load cell brake unless you've done a DIY one yourself and run it through SimHub on a PC..
Bought them so long ago when everything was CSL this or CSL that. Just visited the Fanatec website for the first time in years, looks like I am mistaken, they are Clubsport pedals (V3i). Always thought CS stood for Club Sport, must stand for something else. Side note: website is waaayyy easier to navigate now days.

Last edited:
Back