Brake Balance Clarification

Here's a little question about brake balance that has me scratching my head... How EXACTLY does the brake balance controller work?

Does the balance controller adjust the total amount of braking force or does it adjust only the balance between the front and rear wheels?

So if I have two cars, one with balance controller set to 10/10 (F/R) and the other set to 20/20, does the second car have twice as much braking force as the first car?

Or do they both have the same amount of braking force, which is distributed equally to both axles? (that's my personal understanding). If I can tear myself away from my 100% quest this weekend, maybe I will run some experiments.

Mike

My understanding of it is that it does not affect the total braking force, it merely is a tool for accurately proportioning the force between front and back axles.

So theoretically, cars set a 5/5 should have equal braking force with cars set at 15/15.

i seem to find that while the proportioning discussed ealier is the same..e.g. 1/1 is the same as 20/20 the higher the the number means higher the setting on the ABS. Basically i did two runs on the tokyo circuit in the GT1, both identically tuned, apart from the brakes the 1st had 24/24 and the 2nd had 1/1. What i found was that 1/1, the brakes lock up and you get a lot of tire smoke. While with 24/24 you get no tire smoke but i think the stopping distance was just as long because of not alowing the brakes to lock. I find the best settings tends to be around 15/15, to optimize best stopping distance!

I did a bit of testing with the balance controller last year and I echo neon_duke's statements. A car set to 10/10 stops no better or worse than the same car set to 20/20 or 1/1, all else being equal. You only start to see a difference when optimizing the proportions.

M

Ok you guys need to at least read the scrolling tip box for each part...

The BBC is not about force, braking power, or just a ratio... It is the ammount of ABS applied to each set of brakes.

I will not argue with you about weather 10/10 and 24/24 have the same stopping capabilities on a straightaway... at least not about the game however I happen to know how long it takes to stop with your brakes lock and I'll tell ya it ain't pretty....

Having your brakes at 24/24 will save your TIRES from burning up during braking...

I haven't done much testing but theoretically you should be able to oversteer a bit more with 1/1 granted that you start to turn hard BEFORE you lock your brakes (apply brakes 100%).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
You can steer a little bit while you're braking with 24/24 because your wheels keep unlocking and steering the vehicle.

--

NOW I think aside from the game's lack of respect for gravity, I'm hearing this crap about the brakes. When brakes lock for more than a couple seconds (varies on tire type) they melt and become a lubricant temporarily until given a chance to cool. I honestly believe for most if not all racers out there, stopping without ABS as fast as with, is IMPOSSIBLE. (note: i'm talking about real life now not games anymore)

The good thing about not having ABS is that you can jab the brake while turning hard to cause the car to oversteer. The e-brake is really all you need but some people don't feel comfortable e-braking and plus whenever you get time to take your hands off the shift knob it's more important to get both hands on the steering wheel for best response/accuracy.

The thing about the brake SHOULD apply to GT3 (i think it does) but perhaps it also does this with 24/24 abs...

usually braking for cars are 70% front and 30% rear. so more braking power in the front.

my 700hp skyline and 600hp supra, i have it set to max front(24 i think?), 19-20 rear. it stops in a instant.

Back