Brake Balance

• Thread starter ukmadmax
  • 3 comments
England
England
Help needed guys.

If I add ballast to the rear of a car to improve understeer eg original car weight balance 54/46 and I add ballast to the back to make the weight 50/50, should I adjust the brake balance from 5/5 ?
I never do but don't understand if I should.

Thanks.

Help needed guys.

If I add ballast to the rear of a car to improve understeer eg original car weight balance 54/46 and I add ballast to the back to make the weight 50/50, should I adjust the brake balance from 5/5 ?

Thanks.
Try the brake balance that suits you in that situation because everyone has got a different driving style 👍, when I have a weight balance of 50/50 I have a brake balance of 5/7 and it all depends on the circuit and setup of the car, I trail brake right up to the apex to help with understeer or oversteer and it all depends on your driving style as well.

I usually set the brake balance higher in the front and lower in the rear
because l hate slamming into walls backwards, l would much prefer to hit them head on

Help needed guys.

Thanks.

As what FordLaser said plus extra comment. I use a default brake balance setting of 7 / 4, but for Daytona Road which has very high speed braking to a curved approach I found I needed 10 / 0 on one car when using low grip tyres - so it varies by car, track and tyre combination. Some of my faster friends use a rear biased setting like FordLaser. They do this to encourage the car to rotate under braking at a key point in the corner and keep the throttle lightly on until that point to save the car from rotating early (note Barracudas comment). I don't use this technique myself, but I'm not so fast.

Back