Brake bias assist without braking?

• Thread starter 11Parsecs
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
It appears that I get cornering assist from brake bias settings, when I haven't used the brakes, and it doesn't seem like I should.
For example: on a fast corner, going in at 0 (balanced front and rear) bias with no brakes on; when using the cars momentum to slide in a bit and get around is too much and the back end is letting go (no brakes used through the entry and exit for this example). I will add positive brake bias (exact numbers depend on the car) say 2 or 3 for the example. Rerunning that same corner, going in again on no brakes before or during, and using the momentum to slide in just a little with a little rear end rotation - I can almost always go in hotter / faster, without having used any brakes, just like the first example.
So it feels a lot like I'm getting that back end drag type assist of rear brake bias, letting me rotate the car a bit and fire it out of the corner earlier - even though I didn't touch the brakes in either example.
Depending on the car or the track, there are times I feel such a difference adding that braking bias, for when I'm not even on the brakes, I feel like I'm getting an advantage type or level the game mechanics did not intend. In solo play it feels like a possible unfair advantage, though in vs online play everyone has access to the same 'on the fly settings' if they choose or the rules allow. So I'm curious, are there actual physics at play that I don't understand, or is this bias assist when not braking something that shouldn't be happening?

(P.S. Did I post this in the right place? I'm not able to find this thread from the main SNAIL forum page, but managed to find it through the 'your content' link on my profile only)

Last edited:
Yes, the brake bias does and always has affected the car balance even when the brakes aren't applied.

It is a relic in the software that dates back several Gran Turismo game generations.

Yes, the brake bias does and always has affected the car balance even when the brakes aren't applied.

It is a relic in the software that dates back several Gran Turismo game generations.
Does SNAIL ever have races with rules on the use of brake bias like this?

I'm extremely curious if the relic will continue on to GT7. Also if you have any links or recommendations where to read info about this I would love to hear.

Because brake bias cannot be limited in the settings, any bias requirement is unenforceable. Even with the room set for Tuning Prohibited you can change bias before entering the track, so there is no way to regulate it unfortunately.

I don't know of much information out there on this, as I think relatively few people have the sensitivity and awareness to even pickup on what is going on. I recall this thread from the past, but there isn't any real information just personal experiences. Polyphony doesn't publish their coding or parameters, so any information out there is going to be anecdotal rather than technical.

There are a lot of things going on in the background in the game software.

Last edited:
I recall this thread from the past, but there isn't any real information just personal experiences. Polyphony doesn't publish their
Thank you for the tip. It's nice to know at least I'm not alone, any technical inaccuracies aside. 😄
I just found out about GTS a few months ago, picked up a copy for my birthday. So I'm literally over 3? years behind and just getting caught up. Now GT7 is coming so soon, I worry everyone is going to leave GTS right about when I learn how to drive it.

I came across this phenomenon back in the GT4 tuning days and could swear it was happening but of course had nothing to prove it, none of my friends had no idea what I was talking about, and as a result I wrote it off as a placebo effect. Doesn't seem to have been the case after all.

How does GT7 treat adjusting the BB? I thought I read somewhere it counts as tuning.

I have seen one video where the adjustment was gone if tuning was prohibited. I have not done any additional testing to check this but the brake balance controller is a tuning part now so it would make sense if it was not allowed in a tuning prohibited lobby.

Of course all of that could change with an update that is sorely needed.

I have seen one video where the adjustment was gone if tuning was prohibited. I have not done any additional testing to check this but the brake balance controller is a tuning part now so it would make sense if it was not allowed in a tuning prohibited lobby.

Of course all of that could change with an update that is sorely needed.
How true knowing PD’s way of fixing things but I would like for it to stay. I feel being able to adjust the brakes went against the spirit of SPEC racing but just wasn’t enforceable. Now if they would add back the option to turn off the red flashing gear indicator like 5 or 6 had that would be something.

Last edited:
Now if they would add back the option to turn off the red flashing gear indicator like 5 or 6 had that would be something.
Are you sure this was an option? I dont remember being able to remove it. I'll admit it is one feature I still use to this day when I don't have a proper braking marker or artifact on the track to use when finding my braking zone

Back