Brake Bias

• Thread starter luv2drive
  • 6 comments
United States
California
GTP_luv2drive
One of the things I never fully understood in GT5 is Brake Bias. I mean, intellectually I think I understand the basic concept, but I was never able to translate that into an internal appreciation of how altering the brake bias affects the feeling I have when I drive the car. Given some of the threads I recall reading, there was some debate about whether brake bias was modeled accurately or realistically in GT5, and if not, maybe this was part of the problem. But more likely it was just me.

In any case, now with GT6 and the supposedly improved physics engine, I'd like to really get an appreciation for this concept and how to use it to improve the handling of cars when possible.

So, if any of you expert tuners is willing to help with this, I'd appreciate it. In addition to the generalities, I have a couple of specific questions:

1) How (if at all) will altering the brake bias to/from front-biased or rear-biased affect turn-in for the different primary drivetrain types (FF, FR, MR) (I'm assuming there may be some generalities here)

2) What should I "feel" differently with a front-biased vs. rear-biased setting? (i.e more oversteer, understeer, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

front bias will induce under steer and rear bias induces over steer and agility while breaking i believe , imo its one of those no right or wrong things it all goes down to how you drive mate , me personally like rear bias set ups agility and over steer are worth a bit of braking distance imo , the more front bias i believe has better stoppin distance to a extent

As much as anything, brake bias is for people using ABS:0. You can adjust it so you can achieve strong braking on all wheels before any wheels lock or tune it so the front or rear wheels will tend to lock first.

I found it a great tuning asset with the pedals I have. With high brake balance, I could achieve the regular amount of braking with the pedal less than 1/2 way through it's travel. It could lock the brakes in low speed braking areas but in very high speed braking areas, I could use very high braking without locking the brakes. It was easy to do with the pedals I have. It gave very high resistance in the last 1/2 of brake pedal travel.

As much as anything, brake bias is for people using ABS:0. You can adjust it so you can achieve strong braking on all wheels before any wheels lock or tune it so the front or rear wheels will tend to lock first.

I found it a great tuning asset with the pedals I have. With high brake balance, I could achieve the regular amount of braking with the pedal less than 1/2 way through it's travel. It could lock the brakes in low speed braking areas but in very high speed braking areas, I could use very high braking without locking the brakes. It was easy to do with the pedals I have. It gave very high resistance in the last 1/2 of brake pedal travel.

i remember the days of having to use a wine bottle cork to adjust brake sensitivity on pedals lol

In GT6 on the Honda Fitt I turned brake balance down to 3/3. It did not need all of that braking power. I could more easily feather the brakes at this setting. For the Miata, I am at 4/3. Same issue, I did not need that much braking power.

Let me just add some info here that I have found. First I will start by saying that in GT5/GT6 the brake bias setting menu is actually a individual pressure setting for each front and rear brakes, meaning it limits the max pressure and end of the car gets when the pedal is fully depressed. In GT5 it very much had an effect on balance under braking even with ABS on, just not as noticeable as with ABS off.
I've done some experimenting in GT6 (offline driving only) and the break bias setting does not seem to actually effect the BIAS unless you have installed the brake kit. Without the brake kit, ABS on or off, the brake bias merely seems to change the peek pressure you can get from the pedal, and bias is not altered at all as far as I can tell. You can try it your self, but it's quite obvious when you turn off ABS that the bias is not matching the settings until you add the brake kit, the. You can alter the bias and lock up which ever end you want first.

Last edited:
i noticed that last night man , brake kits are a must for me , some cars get some pretty bad front lock and take alot of test n tune time to get them to brake right ... s15 touring car is one of them

Back