Brake tuning.

young___nate

(Banned)
United States
Lacey/WA/USA
young___nate
youngnate13
What's the quickest way to make adjustments to braking feel. I use MS pedals and my breaks/skillz, which I usually dial to 110% and have always been a huge strength in racing games, suck in Forza. What I don't like about them is there seems to be no modulation in them. No difference between amount of input and braking. I do the majority of my braking by barely engadging the pedal and hardly using it at all. I seem to get all my braking in the first inch of travel and no minute braking input. Not to mention the MS wheel and week force feed back don't provide a lot of feed back as to what is happening. Feels and looks like I could get the same results with a controller.
Which setting changes the input response exponentially? IE responds with less brakes until you push the pedal harder. Brake percentage or deccel diff settings?

Using a controller, I barely push the button in to engage them. I feel like if I am going over 30% in with the button, I will lock the brakes. Sounds like what you are going though except I would think it would be more difficult to control subtle leg movement over finger movement.
If you mess with brake percentage or pressure, you wind up messing with how long (distance) it takes to slow the vehicle down. Percentage may help but only if you are consistently locking up the front or rear brakes.
Have you tried adding a bungee cord to increase resistance or some sort of sponge like material behind the pedal to absorb free play or just to give it some feeling? I don't use a wheel setup but I can image some resistance in the pedal could go a long way.

Using a controller, I barely push the button in to engage them. I feel like if I am going over 30% in with the button, I will lock the brakes. Sounds like what you are going though except I would think it would be more difficult to control subtle leg movement over finger movement.
If you mess with brake percentage or pressure, you wind up messing with how long (distance) it takes to slow the vehicle down. Percentage may help but only if you are consistently locking up the front or rear brakes.
Have you tried adding a bungee cord to increase resistance or some sort of sponge like material behind the pedal to absorb free play or just to give it some feeling? I don't use a wheel setup but I can image some resistance in the pedal could go a long way.

definitely think some wedges of soft foam would help.

Decreasing the deccel settings in the two way race diff made a big difference. Telemetry and tires next!!

The decel I am not too familiar with setting up. I mess with accel a bit but I guess it would work the same except when braking obviously. So, after I red your post, I went back to my latest tune and messed with the decel and using benchmark, I dropped my 100-0 MPH down another 5ft. I took it on the track and it felt so much better.
Do you have any tips to set one up properly?

A post I made a few years ago. This made a NIGHT AND DAY difference for me.

http://wheelracers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=161

I thought I posted this but I don't think I did. As many of you know the default M$ Wheel brakes lock up on you if you press all the way. You get no feedback from the pedal itself. Not fun. But with this simple fix I was able to get the breaks damn near perfect for my use. Here's the steps provided with some pics:

Take a mouse pad and cut a strip the width of the space underneath the pedal. I would say about an inch would do the trick. I used a mouse pad with some signficant padding underneath instead of the ones that feel like paper.

DSC02058.jpg

I then folded it 3 ways (like a brochure) and tied it up with a rubber band.

DSC02059.jpg

Then just shove it underneath the brake pedal

DSC02060.jpg

That's it. Also you'll want to adjust your brake settings in game to get it right for your application. It helps me tremendously. Hope it helps you all.

Back