Braking distance

• Thread starter oik01
  • 20 comments
Any tips to improve braking distance? ABS on or practice abs off? should I hear squeeling or do I let off just before that threshold? I always feel like I have to break a bit earlier than you tubers online to get through a corner and am wanting to improve that aspect of my driving.

Depends how aggressive or smooth your driving is. To be fast you need to be not braking hard as possible, late at the end of a straight and only just making it round the corner for example a higher average speed is preferable as it means less savage braking, it's practice and experimentation really every car and drivetrain is slightly different. Some cars are not at all forgiving some let you get away with murder and that also depends on how you have the car set up driving aids wise. If you have a wheel and pedals you can learn to drive faster with tcs and asm off its all about being smooth on the brake and accelerator transitions :cheers:

Depends how aggressive or smooth your driving is. To be fast you need to be not braking hard as possible, late at the end of a straight and only just making it round the corner for example a higher average speed is preferable as it means less savage braking, it's practice and experimentation really every car and drivetrain is slightly different. Some cars are not at all forgiving some let you get away with murder and that also depends on how you have the car set up driving aids wise. If you have a wheel and pedals you can learn to drive faster with tcs and asm off its all about being smooth on the brake and accelerator transitions :cheers:
^This

Also try trail braking, it's your best friend around high speed corners 👍

...also some of the cars need trail braking as they say, they go much faster in corners like that. Good thing is to watch how top 10 players drive around a daily track, not saying you need ASAP to be like that, but it will give you some hints where and what to do...

Any tips to improve braking distance? ABS on or practice abs off? should I hear squeeling or do I let off just before that threshold? I always feel like I have to break a bit earlier than you tubers online to get through a corner and am wanting to improve that aspect of my driving.

Turn on the driving cones so you can see where the braking markers are.

ABS default is good.
ABS weak is a little better
ABS default with brake balance at +4 or +5 is best.

In all cases, it's an exercise in squeezing and releasing. I find the slow release while blending in the throttle is best.

I find the slow release while blending in the throttle is best.
Yes that's the trick. A car should always be on load (or at least as often as possible). Never leave a car totally off throttle when you're wheel are turned (unless you need to oversteer). That's why it's good to apply a bit of throttle (sometimes just 20-30% are enough) when you progressively release the brake. The less you upset the car, the faster you'll get.

ABS default is good.

In all cases, it's an exercise in squeezing and releasing. I find the slow release while blending in the throttle is best.
that's good to know. I never considered throttle during brake liftoff... will try that out!

You also have to take into account the latency of your TV when comparing braking points with replays. Some can have a latency of >100ms which will make your actual braking point 5m later than your perceived braking point at 100mph.

You also have to take into account the latency of your TV when comparing braking points with replays. Some can have a latency of >100ms which will make your actual braking point 5m later than your perceived braking point at 100mph.

...well, PC monitor seems a good thing for games, at least for me...

ABS default is good.

Is ABS on default with lots of rear bias better for handling or braking distance?

I just put ABS onto weak and forgot about it, rear bias for some cars, particularly if the track needs a lot of trail braking. I like front bias a lot as oversteer under braking can be overcome by mashing the brake to lock the fronts :-D. Maybe (probably) my approach isn't optimal....

Is ABS on default with lots of rear bias better for handling or braking distance?

I just put ABS onto weak and forgot about it, rear bias for some cars, particularly if the track needs a lot of trail braking. I like front bias a lot as oversteer under braking can be overcome by mashing the brake to lock the fronts :-D. Maybe (probably) my approach isn't optimal....

It's better for braking and turning. Since the ABS system for game use (rather than a reproduction of real life) it still locks the wheel. The ABS level reduces wheel lock with default being the greatest reduction, but at the same time this causes less braking force.

To maximize the braking force of the front tires, and help the car turn in, you set the bias to +4 or +5. With less braking force, the front are less prone to locking as speeds decrease which allows you turn turn in more easily.

Last edited:
It's better for braking and turning. Since the ABS system for game use (rather than a reproduction of real life) it still locks the wheel. The ABS level reduces wheel lock with default being the greatest reduction, but at the same time this causes less braking force.

To maximize the braking force of the front tires, and help the car turn in, you set the bias to +4 or +5. With less braking force, the front are less prone to locking at speeds decrease which allows you turn turn in more easily.
That's a great explanation, thank you. I'm gonna set the ABS to default and have a go at some hot laps this weekend :-).

To maximize the braking force of the front tires, and help the car turn in, you set the bias to +4 or +5. With less braking force, the front are less prone to locking as speeds decrease which allows you turn turn in more easily.

Im not sure I follow this.

Setting brake balance to the front means the front wheels will lock up first / lose grip / won’t turn the car and you go straight on (understear).

Setting the brake balance to the rear means the back wheels will lock up first / lose grip and the back spins round, like a handbrake turn (oversteer).

For trail braking you want it set towards the rear so that the back spins round (only very slightly) to help you turn in more.

Of course too much to the rear and you will spin too much which isn’t good at all. But with abs on it stops the rear tyres locking up so this isn’t really a problem. That’s why you can use +5 without much problem.

Try +5 with abs off and you’ll soon get the idea that the car rotates round! (It won’t be drivable this way)

Im not sure I follow this.

Setting brake balance to the front means the front wheels will lock up first / lose grip / won’t turn the car and you go straight on (understear).

Setting the brake balance to the rear means the back wheels will lock up first / lose grip and the back spins round, like a handbrake turn (oversteer).

For trail braking you want it set towards the rear so that the back spins round (only very slightly) to help you turn in more.

Of course too much to the rear and you will spin too much which isn’t good at all. But with abs on it stops the rear tyres locking up so this isn’t really a problem. That’s why you can use +5 without much problem.

Try +5 with abs off and you’ll soon get the idea that the car rotates round! (It won’t be drivable this way)

It's the thing to do in this game. The front gets less power so less ABS kicks in. The rear will get more ABS. Try it. All the fast guys are using +4 or +5.

Remember to time downshifts to prevent rear end lock.

It's the thing to do in this game. The front gets less power so less ABS kicks in. The rear will get more ABS. Try it. All the fast guys are using +4 or +5.

Remember to time downshifts to prevent rear end lock.

I’ve started doing this recently. And I think it’s faster. I’ve managed a couple of top10 times doing it this way which I never managed before. But the problem is that I’m quite inconsistent, so I never know if any of the changes I make actually make a difference, or if it’s just my luck that changed!

I’ve started doing this recently. And I think it’s faster. I’ve managed a couple of top10 times doing it this way which I never managed before. But the problem is that I’m quite inconsistent, so I never know if any of the changes I make actually make a difference, or if it’s just my luck that changed!

It's faster. If you go and set a fast lap and then change it back to 0, you won't be able to catch yourself. If you are in the top 10, you're doing ok. Consistency comes with time.

It's faster. If you go and set a fast lap and then change it back to 0, you won't be able to catch yourself. If you are in the top 10, you're doing ok. Consistency comes with time.

Currently number 3 on race C. But that will get knocked off very soon as it’s pretty slow ! Maybe i should take a picture now :P

Last edited:
Back